The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-02-2024, 06:52 AM

Anyone on AGF using or have used the Shure GLXD16+, and at $500 how reliable is it at actual gigs as far as dropouts go?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...r-pedal-system
Old 04-02-2024, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
Anyone on AGF using or have used the Shure GLXD16+, and at $500 how reliable is it at actual gigs as far as dropouts go?

I have a Beta58a one. The battery life is amazing. 15+ hours. Didn't have any dropouts.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post

I'm using it since last summer and it's been great. I love having the tuner on the floor which is one of the reasons I went with this unit. I'd sold some other gear through the Gear Exchange so the Shure cost me about $200 with the credit I had from sales. I didn't play out with it over the winter and just fired it up last week after it sat idle for about 4 months. It still sounds great and the battery in the transmitter had remained at 80% over that time. I like that it searches for the best connection automatically so if there's a conflict with other wireless systems, gear in the venue, etc. I always get a solid connection. It's pricey, but seems worth it to me. For context, I don't depend on gig income to pay bills and based on the gear I keep buying, I'll never break even playing out, let alone make any profit!
Old 04-04-2024, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Awesome! Agreed. The Senn preformed the best. Now I know!

Hi Dave,

Does the Sennheiser work OK with Baggs preamps?

I have a SmoothHound, which is/was made and available in UK and Europe. Uses AAA batteries, sounds great, and is OK with Baggs preamps - just a tiny bit of squeal. It has reverse polarity power and requires a fully isolated power supply like Cioks and many others.

The noise from Line6 + Baggs is the ceramic capacitors, I believe. The more space-efficient surface-mount capacitors are microphonic. They can also resonate when near other circuits. Judging by the color and size, Baggs has several such caps on their boards.

Here is a study of the subject:

https://e2e.ti.com/blogs_/archives/b...acitors-part-1

Regards,

David
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 04-04-2024, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Thanks for the thread…

Question… Lekato has several wireless systems on Amazon. From $26.99 to $56.99, some being 2.4 and some 5.8. Which do you all recommend and why?

Thanks
We use the Lekato systems - 2 mic and 1 guitar. Work great. No issues so far.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced06GTO View Post
I just went with a cheap Lekato wireless set up for my solo acoustic gigs. It worked great for my first 3.5hr gig with it. We'll see how it holds up, Ive got a few more gigs coming up at the end of April and beginning of May. No complaints so far though, especially for 50 bucks!
I bought the same and have used them for dozens of 3 hour gigs and they've been flawless. So cheap and they just work.
Old 04-13-2024, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Youl View Post
I bought the same and have used them for dozens of 3 hour gigs and they've been flawless. So cheap and they just work.
Same.

I should add though that I’ve used it on audio-teching gigs where I’ve had a strange low-level distortion (once) on someone’s Takamine guitar which was remedied by swapping to a cable. We tried changing all batteries and removing everything else in the chain - no effect (literally). Never got to the bottom of it and was the only example of this problem over hundreds of uses and many different instruments.

The only other issue is that the input impedance of the transmitter (can’t remember the number offhand) is lower than ideal for passive piezo so EQ tweaking would be required if swapping between passive/active instruments. I used a Boss ge-7.

Otherwise great value.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
Thanks for the thread…

Question… Lekato has several wireless systems on Amazon. From $26.99 to $56.99, some being 2.4 and some 5.8. Which do you all recommend and why?

Thanks
I also would like to know which unit. I just want it for use around my home, no gigging but maybe at an informal open mic.

A couple of years ago I bought one of the earlier units, a no-name brand and it was under a 2.4 and I had a lot of problems with static so I returned it.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 04-13-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I also would like to know which unit. I just want it for use around my home, no gigging but maybe at an informal open mic.

A couple of years ago I bought one of the earlier units, a no-name brand and it was under a 2.4 and I had a lot of problems with static so I returned it.

The higher frequency unit should in theory suffer less interference but have a shorter range.
Old 04-14-2024, 03:58 PM

I am trying to decide where to go with my wireless setup. For years I have been using the original Line 6 G10 for my mandolin. I don't go wireless with any other instruments, I just like having the mandolin free. It has been amazing. Zero dropouts, great tone and no noise. I did have some issues with the cheap power adapter but I purchased a mini usb with a magnetic cable attachment and it's worked great.

Unfortunately, at my past two shows, the G10 has simply stopped working. It connects perfectly but after about 3-4 minutes it's dead. The light just goes read on the transmitter. I have to play around with it to see if it's the G10 or a wonky output jack on my mandolin that's making the G10 think it's unplugged. I did charge it for four hours before my last show but it still stopped working.

My issue is, the G10 replacement transmitter is $150 plus tax in Canada. That's half the price of the new G10S pedalboard system. It seems like a ripoff. I am down to either the G10S or the Sennheiser XSW. The pros of the new G10S is that the base itself it much higher quality, it's more pedalboard friendly and I know what I am getting. The downside is the transmitter battery but to be fair, I have used the original G10 for about 8 years so it was pretty reliablr. The XSW I have tried and found it a bit noisy but that was with my electric guitar. The downside is that I have heard of the battery life being worse with it. Not sure what to do!
Old 04-15-2024, 02:51 PM

I've tried a few WiFi/Bluetooth style for both guitar and vocal.

They work fine . . . except when they don't.

They can be working fine during a gig, and then start cutting in and out . . only for a fraction of a second at a time, but it completely ruins the music.

I went back to cables.
Old 04-16-2024, 09:03 AM

Love my NUX wireless guitar plug. The fact that you use the case to charge it in between gigs is a big plus. I also use an Xvive for my mic which works well. And another Xvive for my wireless in ears. But always have cables ready for then they don't work, because it will happen at the worst time.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Love my NUX wireless guitar plug. The fact that you use the case to charge it in between gigs is a big plus. I also use an Xvive for my mic which works well. And another Xvive for my wireless in ears. But always have cables ready for then they don't work, because it will happen at the worst time.
Jack, Did you get the 5.8ghz NUX or 2.4Ghz? Do you get any dropouts or noise? How is the battery life?
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 04-19-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Jack, Did you get the 5.8ghz NUX or 2.4Ghz? Do you get any dropouts or noise? How is the battery life?
the 5.8. Haven't had a single issue with it yet. It's always gotten me through 3-4 hour gigs and I love how the case recharges the plugs in between gigs.
Highly recommended.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification