The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-23-2001, 11:16 AM

Post custom inlay

I'm having fun today thinking of ways to dress up my 510CE. I ordered ebony tuner buttons from fqms Tuesday. Yesterday I searched the net for diferent fancy ideas and saw a company that used to sell taylor sized ebony truss rod covers with mother of pearl inlaid initials. Unfortunately I called and they said they had lost contact with the guy who used to do the work for them. I also found lots of photos of inlay on pickguards. I like the Taylor shape pickguard but have never been crazy about that "red pepperoni" material... anyway, I got out a pencil and designed my own idea for a mother of pearl vine inlay on a Taylor shape pickguard. It looks great! Then I found a company that sell a material called tor-tis - a very realistic faux tortoise shell that can be inlaid. I have a good friend in business in woodworking, who has done extensive work with abalone and pearl inlay (he has never done guitar work or pickguards, mostly on woods, but he has all the equipment, computer controlled, etc...) I called him up and he said bring it down and we will work out a price. Like I said, we are friends, so hopefully it wont be too outrageously expensive and I can go for it... I am going to see about him doing the truss rod cover as well. Well, if this comes to pass I will have to post pictures, if it comes out like I think it will, I'll have my custom guitar after all. I'm excited!
Old 08-23-2001, 11:57 AM
Jim

Sounds exciting. I really like fancy guitars and I look forward to seeing what you get for yours.

For some ideas, and perhaps a check on pricing, you may want to look at Thorn Inlay's website at: http://www.thorninlay.com/
They specialize in guitar related inlays and make the PRS Forum's custom eagle inlay truss rod covers which you can see at: http://members.tripod.com/prsforum/prs_forum_shop.htm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion