The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-29-2024, 04:07 PM

Default Bring My Guitar To Mars?

I was watching a science video on YouTube when they mentioned you need air to make a sound. No air no sound.

Any creatures living without air (it's possible) would hear no music.

Mars is 95.32% carbon dioxide, 2.7% nitrogen, 1.6% argon and 0.13% oxygen.

What would my guitar sound like there? I assume it would make some sound, but a pretty poor one. Might as well bring a plywood cheapie.

They also quoted Evangelista Torricelli
"We live submerged at the bottom of an ocean of air"

This thought freaked me out and made me think "The universe doesn't want us out there.'
Old 04-29-2024, 04:28 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Most people don't realize how thin the margin is for our life form to exist. We require a fairly narrow band of a variety of different parameters in order for our species to survive. Tip something too far off kilter, and we don't make it.

Colonizing space? Not likely going to happen. No matter how much chatter we hear about missions to Mars, the simple truth is we would require a sealed habitat that would be secured from breach or failure. As much I love science fiction, I think that stays fiction for a long, long time...

That said, should you want to play guitar in an environment with no suitable medium for transmitting sound waves, you simply need a Bluetooth-enabled vibration-monitoring device on the guitar and some version of Bluetooth-enabled cochlear implant. Problem solved.

Welcome to my TED Talk.
Old 04-29-2024, 06:03 PM

Default Bring My Guitar To Mars?

I bought a guitar from Mars about 20 years ago, when my wife and I were on the road in the DC/NoVa area...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 04-30-2024 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:39 PM

Electric guitar with a plug-in amp + earphones would work, right?
Sound would travel through the wires not the (absent) air.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Electric guitar with a plug-in amp + earphones would work, right?
Sound would travel through the wires not the (absent) air.
I don't think so. You still need air to move the sound waves. Nothing to move the capsule/driver in the headphones and no air to move it to your ear drum.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

We have giant rockets that can take off and land and
take off again.

We are on the cusp of real AI.

The only thing that would keep us from colonizing
space would be our failure to do it.

-Mike
Old 04-30-2024, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
We have giant rockets that can take off and land and
take off again.

We are on the cusp of real AI.

-Mike
Unless we bring our own air and food with us and there is no glitch in the technology. Seems very unlikely.

What we need is another earth to go to.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post

Colonizing space? Not likely going to happen. No matter how much chatter we hear about missions to Mars, the simple truth is we would require a sealed habitat that would be secured from breach or failure. As much I love science fiction, I think that stays fiction for a long, long time...

While large scale colonisation is something for the future, maintaining a permanent human presence on Mars is within our capabilities. We already maintain a permanent presence in a sealed habitat (ISS) that is orbiting the earth at 17,500 mph. An environment, arguable harsher than the surface of Mars.

Last edited by Silurian; 04-30-2024 at 05:16 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is one other thing..... Human beings were not created to live anywhere else except here on earth. Can't say more without violating rules.

Tom
Old 04-30-2024, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie51 View Post
There is one other thing..... Human beings were not created to live anywhere else except here on earth. Can't say more without violating rules.

Tom
The desire to explore is an intrinsic part of the human psyche. Whether that is wondering what is on the other side of a nearby hill or what is on another planet makes no difference.

The colonisation of our entire planet with limited technological resources in several tens of thousands of years is evidence enough. The idea that we would say "let's leave it at that" is frankly quite bizarre.

Last edited by Silurian; 04-30-2024 at 05:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 08:29 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
While large scale colonisation is something for the future, maintaining a permanent human presence on Mars is within our capabilities. We already maintain a permanent presence in a sealed habitat (ISS) that is orbiting the earth at 17,500 mph. An environment, arguable harsher than the surface of Mars.
I don't think orbiting the Earth is anywhere near as harsh a climate as the Martian surface. There is no 'weather' in Earth's orbit. The main risk in orbit are other objects... both natural, and 'space junk'. I also assume (with nothing to back this up, at all) that there is an evacuation plan for the ISS should that be necessary. Not sure how you evacuate Mars once you have established a human presence there, but someone can probably come up with something, as long as it's on a very small scale.

The fact is, we cannot live natively on the surface of any other planet in our solar system. Our form of life requires very specific parameters across a large band of variables. We can survive in suits, and in sealed habitats that recreate the parameters we need to survive. Trying to colonize Mars does not seem like a good idea to me, but I totally get the spirit of adventure and conquering new challenges. We will keep talking about it, and maybe one day we try sending humans there... but my gut tells me that it won't go well. Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 04-30-2024, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
I don't think orbiting the Earth is anywhere near as harsh a climate as the Martian surface. There is no 'weather' in Earth's orbit. The main risk in orbit are other objects... both natural, and 'space junk'. I also assume (with nothing to back this up, at all) that there is an evacuation plan for the ISS should that be necessary. Not sure how you evacuate Mars once you have established a human presence there, but someone can probably come up with something, as long as it's on a very small scale.

The fact is, we cannot live natively on the surface of any other planet in our solar system. Our form of life requires very specific parameters across a large band of variables. We can survive in suits, and in sealed habitats that recreate the parameters we need to survive. Trying to colonize Mars does not seem like a good idea to me, but I totally get the spirit of adventure and conquering new challenges. We will keep talking about it, and maybe one day we try sending humans there... but my gut tells me that it won't go well. Of course, I could be wrong.
I don't doubt that it is a very difficult endeavour.

To paraphrase JFK on the moon landings:

"We don't do these things because they're easy. We do these things because they're hard"
Old 04-30-2024, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

GAS on Mars. Wow.

Y'all definitely know how to next-level this stuff...
Old 04-30-2024, 10:21 AM

(crickets)..

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 04-30-2024, 11:19 AM

Oh my, we will have to rehash all the wood choices again for they are all likely to behave differently. A Mars mahogany vs. an Earth Rosewood, sitka from Alaska on Mars vs. Sitka from Washington on Mars etc. I can feel my head exploding already.

We will have to have a separate subforum for Mar's AGFers. A separate classified for off-world sales...what would the shipping costs be? I buy a Taylor from some guy on Mars for $1200.00 and then Fedex would charge $59,789.00 to ship it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic