The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2021, 11:08 AM

Default Responsive, delicate, sensitive fingerstyle guitar recommendation?

On the hunt for a new guitar. Something super delicate for fingerstyle with just the pads of fingers. I want basically the opposite of a bluegrass guitar. Something that you can just tickle and get a pleasing sound from. Sparkle, chime, bell, piano, all those confusing words are my favorite. Is there a specific maker, body shape, tonewood, bracing, construction, or other attribute that makes a guitar more sensitive and enjoyable for easy playing, or is it just about trial and error like most things in the acoustic world and eventually you'll find that one? Budget say $5k and under. Any advice would be great!
Old 12-01-2021, 11:11 AM

I find my Lowden to be like that. Mines an O25c.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:16 AM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
On the hunt for a new guitar. Something super delicate for fingerstyle with just the pads of fingers. I want basically the opposite of a bluegrass guitar. Something that you can just tickle and get a pleasing sound from. Sparkle, chime, bell, piano, all those confusing words are my favorite. Is there a specific maker, body shape, tonewood, bracing, construction, or other attribute that makes a guitar more sensitive and enjoyable for easy playing, or is it just about trial and error like most things in the acoustic world and eventually you'll find that one? Budget say $5k and under. Any advice would be great!
Hi Nathan,

You're seriously going to get a zillion recommendations! My suggestion would be what I use - a Taylor 814ce. I do about 90% fingerpicking, flesh on string, and the 814ce provides clarity, balance, great intonation and lots of sustain. Your term "sensitive" fits this instrument. These run about $4,000 or so currently, if I'm not mistaken.
Former AGF Moderator
Old 12-01-2021, 11:19 AM

It's always trial and error, even when one has accumulated enough samples to have a set of usual suspects. In my case, those would be Goodalls and Lowdens--but even there I've come across examples of each that I would not have bought. And one of my favorite guitars for slack key (a style that loves a "sensitive" guitar) is a '65 Guild D-40, so go figure. (FWIW, a lot of the Dancing Cat recordings were made on Martin dreads.)
Old 12-01-2021, 11:21 AM

SC D-12 or any shorter scale with wider spacing.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:23 AM

It’s more of a trial and error than hard and fast rule, but 000/OM/concert guitar with cedar/redwood/euro spruce top would be a great starting point. For fingerstyle, my fav is Bourgeois euro spruce/hog OM. It just rings even with the lightest of touch.

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)
Old 12-01-2021, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Sparkle, chime, bell, piano, all those confusing words are my favorite...
This is how I'd describe my Bourgeois 00 (Sitka/Mahogany). And very responsive. Excellent for fingerpicking.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Most 00 or 000 sizes will do this pretty well. I would probably look into a Goodall TR000 if 12 frets were okay for you. If you prefer an even bigger sound, it's hard to get more responsiveness in a big guitar than a cedar topped Lowden.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
As someone who plays with the pads too and has been thru a lot of guitars looking for just what you described I'd seriously look at a Goodall. Mine checks these boxes in spades. I bought this one from by buddies in Durham and love it:

https://www.soundpure.com/p/goodall-...tar-used/25387

Of course it is the mystical and magical Goose Spruce
Old 12-01-2021, 12:24 PM

Goodall, Lowden, or Breedlove would be my recommendation.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

Smaller bodies are generally easier to get moving, and are more articulate. So as above, yes to the OM or OO.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Sent you a PM...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-01-2021, 01:47 PM

So, not sure how many members there are on this site but you're going to get a lot of suggestions. However, here's mine. A couple of not so common names.

I have a pair of 12 fret-ers that are a delight to play finger style - a Crosby and a Boucher. Both essentially OOO, the Boucher is spruce/rosewood, the Crosby is spruce/walnut. Love the sound of both.

Happy hunting
Old 12-01-2021, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Any of the ex Santa Cruz guys fit that bill perfectly. Jeff Traugott, Marc Maingard, Roy McAlister, Ed Claxton all come to mind.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 12-01-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I find my Lowden to be like that. Mines an O25c.
Lots of choices. I recently "rediscovered" my Lowden O23. It can definitely do responsive and delicate, as well as a full-on wall of sound if needed.

Also, the range of tones you can pull out playing from near the saddle to above the sound hole is really quite remarkable.

As mentioned above, the SCGC D-12 is also an excellent choice. My next guitar if I ever get another.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion