The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 PM

Default Guitar Straps????!!!!

Do you think a guitar strap should be subdued, and blend in with the guitar or background so the guitar and player shine forth, or be bright and flashy….making a statement by itself, kind of a signature for the performer????
Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 PM

I like the middle ground. Tasteful but attractive. Leather (for acoustic) with some decorative aspects.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:00 PM

I'm a leather fan, mainly suede and usually brown.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:03 PM

I like leather or suede that looks nice with the particular woods.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Action straps..

Action straps, not cheap, but the lower end one is classy looking and they are the best...in my opinion!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:01 PM

I've never given it much thought, frankly. I guess I would fall in the middle ground, as well. I've never had a strap that spelled out WADEBOY in glitter or electric lights, but I'm fond of good quality leather straps in subdued colors.

One brand of Canadian-made guitar straps I discovered during the 1990's during a trip to British Columbia are those made by Levy's Leathers, which are common in American music stores nowadays but weren't back then. I like the plain padded garment leather Levy's straps, like these:

Those are incredibly comfortable straps, and superbly well made. I suspect that they'll still be around and fully functional for many, many years after I myself am gone.

Levy also makes similar straps in wilder colors and with tooled leather, decorative trim and conchos and whatnot on them. A friend of mine who plays Chet Atkins kind of picking on big-bodied electric archtops has several Levy's straps along these lines, with contrasting colors and trim. They match the way he dresses and the aesthetics of his instruments, so for him they're a good choice.

Those aren't quite my style, though. What works for me are the straps I showed above.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-30-2014, 08:11 PM

Purely personal style. Some people love fashion accessories, some not so much. I don't even wear a cool hat. I think of a strap as pure function... my strap is heavy on the shoulder, light at the ends... I love the control and weight distribution. I would not be comfortable with a visually decorative strap in public.

Whatever you think and you are comfortable with, that is what is right for you... if you liked it, I'm sure I would like it.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:04 PM

I buy a strap if I like it, not to make a statement. ....Mike

...........It scares me to think what statement I may have made with my strap choices.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-wily-fox View Post
Do you think a guitar strap should be subdued, and blend in with the guitar or background so the guitar and player shine forth, or be bright and flashy….making a statement by itself, kind of a signature for the performer????
Hi b-w-f...

I think a strap should hold my guitar and keep it in the position I set it, and be wide enough to disperse the weight of the guitar so it doesn't settle on the nerve in my shoulder.

I want my playing to 'speak' not my gear. You may not need to pay attention to me, because I'm getting older and a bit grouchy.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-30-2014, 09:19 PM

Most of my guitar straps are woven Levy or Planet Waves, one is very nice soft leather. After my Mom passed away I added an embroidered yellow rose to each strap in her memory.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:19 PM

Cool Guitar Straps???

I like a variety of guitar straps. Some are plain, some are elaborately decorated in different ways.

Glen

Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi b-w-f...

I think a strap should hold my guitar and keep it in the position I set it, and be wide enough to disperse the weight of the guitar so it doesn't settle on the nerve in my shoulder.

I want my playing to 'speak' not my gear. You may not need to pay attention to me, because I'm getting older and a bit grouchy.

Yeah, that was totally out of line. You should back down a little bit. .......Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion