The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2014, 07:29 AM

Default Are Yamaha guitars cheaper in Japan or China?

So let's say I'm going on a vacation to Tokyo or Shanghai...will a Yamaha FG700S be cheaper or more expensive there than in the US at Guitar Center?

Also, would there be any differences in the build (i.e. a Toyota Tacoma in the US is built totally different than ones built for Japan)?
Old 08-30-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
So let's say I'm going on a vacation to Tokyo or Shanghai...will a Yamaha FG700S be cheaper or more expensive there than in the US at Guitar Center?

Also, would there be any differences in the build (i.e. a Toyota Tacoma in the US is built totally different than ones built for Japan)?
Can't help on pricing. Used to be able to buy Japanese goods cheaper in the US than on the home market.

Not sure about your Toyota question. All Tacomas are made in the US.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM

For Shanghai it will depend on how good your negotiation skills are, but likely yes. I will tell you that you will be at a disadvantage from the beginning if you are not of Chinese decent and do not speak the language. For anything higher end it will definitely be more expensive.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 08-30-2014, 07:40 AM

Oh and be careful about it being genuine. I think that the Yamaha model would be the same here assuming it is a real one.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 08-30-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picassov7 View Post
For Shanghai it will depend on how good your negotiation skills are, but likely yes. I will tell you that you will be at a disadvantage from the beginning if you are not of Chinese decent and do not speak the language. For anything higher end it will definitely be more expensive.
So true. In Asia, often there is one price for locals and a second higher price for foreigners. Take a local with you when you shop.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion