The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 AM

Default D-41 vs. Taylor 914

It's simple... I'm getting a new high end acoustic and have decided that it shall be one of these two. I would like any input that you guys would like to give before I pull the trigger on one or the other. My passion in music is classic country in the style of Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, and Hank Sr. I also however, play an eclectic mix of stuff ranging from acoustic hair band ballads (Poison, G-n-R, Cinderella and Skid Row) and often play southern blues/rock like Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker and Skynyrd. In the mix are lots of other things ranging from James Taylor and Neil Diamond to Hootie and the Blowfish and Neil Young. I've listened to both instruments and will be doing my purchasing online to get the best deal, so suffice it to say, I'm depending heavily on your input. I play as a hobbyist and don't need to be sold on the way a guitar FEELS or Plays. These are both well made guitars. And as I have owned both brands before, I'll be fine adapting to any particular nuances of either one. It's the quality of sound and longevity that I care about most... Oh, and obviously the decorative beauty. That's why I've narrowed it down to these two. Thanks in advance, pickers: )
Fender Standard Strat
American Deluxe Telecaster
Martin LXK2
Martin GPCPA1
Taylor 514ce
Stella Parlor 1966
Epiphone Les Paul Standard +Top
Ibanez Artcore AF95
Ovation 1763 Classic
Alvarez Regent

---
Marshall Haze40
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212
Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed
Roland Cube Street
Crate RFX30
Old 08-30-2014, 02:54 AM

Given the majority of the music you have stated you like to play, I would think the dread would be a better fit.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 08-30-2014, 04:24 AM

I would love to say get both but in your case I would do the Martin. Both are wonderful guitars.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:42 AM

I would suggest the dread; but I think you can't go wrong with either. I just think the Martin would have a slight edge for most of the styles of music you play.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:32 AM

Default D-41 vs. Taylor 914

Wow, if I had that kind of money, I'd do a Taylor BTO instead of that 914...there's just too much bling on that guitar for my taste. But if it's bling you like...then I'd go with the 914. I played the D41 in 3 different stores and it didn't do anything for me. The Taylor GA size is my workhorse. I use the GA7e and 114ce as my main gigging guitars.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 AM

It's great that you have it narrowed down to just two guitars; however, I'm a little worried that you're "depending heavily on your input" (Forum input). I would take everyone's suggestions here to help build your knowledge on these two guitars and provide info you may not have been aware of but in the end it'll be your decision.

You have a wide variety of musical tastes - that's great. Have you thought about buying 2 guitars?

For those two guitars and what you're playing, I'd take the Martin.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:05 AM

We all just give our personal preferences really, the Martin.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermostrat View Post
It's simple... My passion in music is classic country in the style of Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, and Hank Sr. I also however, play an eclectic mix of stuff ranging from acoustic hair band ballads (Poison, G-n-R, Cinderella and Skid Row) and often play southern blues/rock like Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker and Skynyrd. In the mix are lots of other things ranging from James Taylor and Neil Diamond to Hootie and the Blowfish and Neil Young. )
It is simple. You play a lot of music...so, I would imagine, you've been around the block a few times. You should not be relying heavily upon anyone...but rather you own ears.

Get the Martin.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Both are wonderful guitars and either would be considered an heirloom quality investment. The only way for you to know which one is right for you is to play them both (hopefully side by side) and decide from there.

I have a Taylor 910 and a Martin D42. Same range as you're looking at but a little different. I really like them both, and although similar in shape and materials, they sound quite different from each other.

At this level of instrument it comes down to which one sounds like the tone you hear in your head when you think guitar and (very important!) which one feels the best in your hands.

The search can be a glorious venture. Happy hunting and let us know which one you got when you decide.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:11 AM

I've played a Taylor 914 and have a student who owns a D-41. Both are excellent. She brings the D41 every so often, and it's pretty awesome. Much of the music you play was played on a dread originally, so there's one in that column. The D-41 will generally be a little louder and have a little more bass too. However, whatever you play will still sound great on the 914 as it is the quintessential all around guitar. The advantage of the 914 is the GA body shape is a bit more comfortable to play just sitting down on the couch or whatever. I have both a good dread and GA. It's enough of a difference that I'm definitely more inclined to play the GA on the couch.

Good lucky choosing. Hard to go wrong with either of these.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 08-30-2014, 08:33 AM

Play them both and then decide. No one can pick a guitar for you.

I've tried several guitars before I bought, including Martins and Taylors. I ended up buying a Taylor.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:34 AM

In this case its a no brainer. Get the Martin, something very special about the 40 series Marts.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 08-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

D-41 is a great all around axe and it looks like what your influencers play(ed). Here's a link to one for your consideration--it will be listed here when I get time.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/msg/4636732775.html
Old 08-30-2014, 10:28 AM

Man, I really appreciate the outpouring of responses that I've received in just a few short hours. And as I stated it shall be the consensus that determines the model. A small number of you seen to take issue with that but that's okay. When I've gotten to the point in my exhaustive research and hand picking the final two of anything, I think it wise and not foolishness to get input. A wise man seeks the counsel of many, while a fool listens to himself. Anyway... I am disabled and cannot play as much as I used to... Not even remotely close. It hurts so bad to sit up, that I can only get one, maybe two songs out at a time because of the back pain. Having said that, it might lighten the path to understanding my plight. This will be my bucket list guitar, and I can't go from store to store trying out instruments like the majority of you. So, leaning on your input is simply a decision of wisdom and necessity rather than choice. If I could, I'd be at every guitar shop in town, just because I could be at every guitar shop in town. And I don't need a guitar to FEEL right, or be comfortable to enjoy the music I create. I wouldn't play it long enough in a sitting to get tired of it. Hopefully this info sheds a little light and for the few who came down on me for relying on ANYTHING other than my own opinion...maybe I'll get some slack. Cheers!
Fender Standard Strat
American Deluxe Telecaster
Martin LXK2
Martin GPCPA1
Taylor 514ce
Stella Parlor 1966
Epiphone Les Paul Standard +Top
Ibanez Artcore AF95
Ovation 1763 Classic
Alvarez Regent

---
Marshall Haze40
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 212
Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed
Roland Cube Street
Crate RFX30
Old 08-30-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermostrat View Post
Man, I really appreciate the outpouring of responses that I've received in just a few short hours. And as I stated it shall be the consensus that determines the model. A small number of you seen to take issue with that but that's okay. When I've gotten to the point in my exhaustive research and hand picking the final two of anything, I think it wise and not foolishness to get input. A wise man seeks the counsel of many, while a fool listens to himself. Anyway... I am disabled and cannot play as much as I used to... Not even remotely close. It hurts so bad to sit up, that I can only get one, maybe two songs out at a time because of the back pain. Having said that, it might lighten the path to understanding my plight. This will be my bucket list guitar, and I can't go from store to store trying out instruments like the majority of you. So, leaning on your input is simply a decision of wisdom and necessity rather than choice. If I could, I'd be at every guitar shop in town, just because I could be at every guitar shop in town. And I don't need a guitar to FEEL right, or be comfortable to enjoy the music I create. I wouldn't play it long enough in a sitting to get tired of it. Hopefully this info sheds a little light and for the few who came down on me for relying on ANYTHING other than my own opinion...maybe I'll get some slack. Cheers!

Based on your info I would get the 914. The shape will serve your needs either sitting or standing. One other piece of info is that I would call Taylor and find out if they can help you obtain the 914 with the new 814 bracing and finish. I have a feeling they can help if you give them all your info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion