The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 04:23 PM

See post 41
Old 08-29-2014, 04:34 PM

A king says to the peasants that steak and bread aren't about which is superior to the other, they're just different.

Interestingly, when it comes to meal times the king always chooses steak.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw Spruce View Post
A king says to the peasants that steak and bread aren't about which is superior to the other, they're just different.

Interestingly, when it comes to meal times the king always chooses steak.
Maybe, but my steak is the regular D-28.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 08-29-2014, 04:50 PM

I had Bryan Kimsey, at his discretion, lightly shave the braces while he was in there doing some other work. I mention that in the interest of full disclosure.

However, what he did was VERY light shaving - not scalloping. He said there was really no reason to do anything much to change the sound. This was pretty much on the level of changing saddle or nut material or radical string change difference - not scalloping as in the way an HD-28 is scalloped.

I allowed it in the first place because I'm a tinkerer & neither guitar is original anymore nor going anywhere until I take the dirt nap.

Again, once you no longer have to ask simple things like what size allen wrench a Martin uses, or what size braces are on a Martin OM, we can perhaps have more to discuss. But at this point I've addressed what the OP asked & I'm outta here. Go argue with the kids at Guitar Center.

I suspect in the future folks can look back at this thread like dozens of others you written in, where you've realized you were imprudent in what you wrote and deleted post after post after post... Wise move, no doubt.

Last edited by kydave; 08-29-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

I owned a wonderful vintage D-28 that was stolen out of my home on New Year's Day 1981. I grieved so much, I couldn't bring myself to buy another Martin Dread for ten years, so I went for a 00-18 instead (my playing at the time had progressed more to fingerstyle). The 00-18 was wonderful and balanced in tone, but when my playing when back more towards strumming I needed a Dread.

I acquired a gem of a used HD-28 (mid-Seventies vintage) about 20 years ago. I love the look of the herringbone trim, etc., so I'm sold.

They are BOTH wonderful guitars. Wish I had that first one back. I love when the spruce turns golden on top after a few decades. I love that these things are handcrafted works of art, and then, on top of that, produce sounds that soothe the soul.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw Spruce View Post
Here's another one - now that the old straight braced D-18 is gone, who's complaining?
I am! But I own one, so I don't have to cry. The new D-18 is a fine guitar, but I prefer the old straight-braced model with the low profile neck. A lot of great music has been made and recorded with one.

Let's suppose Martin did the same with the D-28... would anyone care? I almost think so! It amazes me that so few forum members have mourned the passing of the straight-braced D-18. Choice is a good thing, let's hope that Martin does not give the D-28 the same funeral. But I do realize that it all probably comes down to sales and economics... in the mean time, I'm still playing my plain-Jane D-18.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I am! But I own one, so I don't have to cry. The new D-18 is a fine guitar, but I prefer the old straight-braced model with the low profile neck. A lot of great music has been made and recorded with one.
Lol I know the feeling I just bought a 2009 D18 used but basically brand new for a good price and the attitude I feel here is if it's not a new D18 who cares but this guitar sounds and feels absolutley wonderful
Old 08-30-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Let's suppose Martin did the same with the D-28... would anyone care? I almost think so! It amazes me that so few forum members have mourned the passing of the straight-braced D-18. Choice is a good thing, let's hope that Martin does not give the D-28 the same funeral. But I do realize that it all probably comes down to sales and economics... in the mean time, I'm still playing my plain-Jane D-18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The dman View Post
Lol I know the feeling I just bought a 2009 D18 used but basically brand new for a good price and the attitude I feel here is if it's not a new D18 who cares but this guitar sounds and feels absolutley wonderful
I'm with you guys. My 2011 D-18 is the best D-18 I've had (and that includes a D-18A). Clean, crisp and balanced with enough low end to keep things warm. I love the basic appearance of it too. When Martin announced the 2012 model I was disappointed that the braces were being changed, but at least they are still plentiful in circulation.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 08-30-2014, 06:51 AM

Martin makes all the 28 models because they are different; not good, better, best, they all have their fans.

My favorite when I could play dreads was the HD-28V, some models are more expensive some are less expensive, price does not equal tone and tone preference is personal.

The OP asked better or different.........different !~!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 08-30-2014, 06:54 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:

While I can't discern the reasons, the straight braced D-28 remains a strong seller, while the D-18 sales were just a few hundred per year. Oddly, Martin wants to make stuff we'll buy.

As you said though, there are plenty out there. Martin made the straight braced D-18 from late 1944-2011. My preferences generally tend toward scalloped guitars, but I've got a few old straight braced D-18's that hold their own well enough.

What I'd really like to see Martin do is move a few straight braced models toward the lighter tapered bracing of the immediate post-war production. You'd retain the crisp, snappy sound, with just a bit more responsiveness.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 AM

There's preference and there's suitability. The choice might be better made based on what you play, how you play, and in what context you play. Backing a full bluegrass band? Probably favor HD-28. Playing duets trading lead and rhythm with a mandolin player? Probably favor D-28.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:48 PM

Default Is the Martin HD-28 better or just different compared to the D-28?

Which is better is too subjective to answer. It depends on the player.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 08-30-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
??

If two things is different and you need to choose between them, you will make a personal judgement about which is better. Something is definitely better and something is definitely worse.

Not everyone will agree on which one. That's OK.
I think maybe you misread what I posted. I was talking about anyone and everyone's opinion on two guitars, not just a single person. Yes, you are right not everyone will agree which is better, and that is OK. That is what I believe I was saying.

2013 Martin Custom OM-18

2012 Martin 0-28vs
2012 Martin LX1
2012 Telecaster Ltd. Edition Ash Body
2003-ish Takamine Jasmine (first guitar I ever played/learned on)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion