The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 02:36 PM

Technically everything's "different". You could say is the D-28 1937 Authentic better or different? Just as the 1937 is better than the D-28, the HD-28 is better than the D-28. Many Martin fans are just unable to admit that the flagship D-28 is not a good guitar compared to its other iterations. I'd say look at what they play, rather than what they say.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:40 PM

One more point to add... Which other high end maker copies the straight braced D-28 if it is supposedly so good to warrant non-scalloping?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:42 PM

I don't think that is true Bearclaw. While I agree that Martin fans are sometimes "blind" on some stuff, I think the truth is someone might want a certain sound or have a certain sound in their head, that they will only get out of a certain type of guitar. I look for sweeter sounding guitars with less bass. Anyone who prefers a dread, would think the guitars I play and prefer sound like "toys" or "boxy". Meanwhile I think their dreads sound overloaded and muddy.

They didn't make HD verisons of the guitars to be the next "evolution" of a model, they made them to be different so if you wanted a different sound, you can get a different sound.

2013 Martin Custom OM-18

2012 Martin 0-28vs
2012 Martin LX1
2012 Telecaster Ltd. Edition Ash Body
2003-ish Takamine Jasmine (first guitar I ever played/learned on)
Old 08-29-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw Spruce View Post
Technically everything's "different". You could say is the D-28 1937 Authentic better or different? Just as the 1937 is better than the D-28, the HD-28 is better than the D-28. Many Martin fans are just unable to admit that the flagship D-28 is not a good guitar compared to its other iterations. I'd say look at what they play, rather than what they say.
I don't agree with that at all. Why is the Authentic better? Because it's more expensive? I've had loads of Martins over the years and am finally satisfied with what I have. And no - they aren't the expensive ones. I'd say play them in person and not buy one based on it's specs. Guitars aren't like computers.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 08-29-2014, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by db25364 View Post
I am curious what AGF members think. Is the HD-28 a better all around guitar than the D-28 (or the other way around)...or are they just different?
Objectively, they're different. Subjectively? The HD-28 is a much more responsive guitar with a tone I much prefer. I don't care for the cheap pickguard and some of the other appointments, but I prefer the tone and playability to the D-28.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM

I think they're both fine instruments. Just a question of your own taste. Mine has changed a lot over the last couple of years.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grachi View Post
There is no such thing as a "better" instrument, no matter what guitars you are comparing. It just depends what sound you want. That said, kydave pretty much said it best with the fact that they are just different. Play both and find which one you like best.
??

If two things is different and you need to choose between them, you will make a personal judgement about which is better. Something is definitely better and something is definitely worse.

Not everyone will agree on which one. That's OK.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
One more point to add... Which other high end maker copies the straight braced D-28 if it is supposedly so good to warrant non-scalloping?
Saying that Martins with scalloped bracing are "the best" is like saying that turning up the bass and treble and adding reverb is "the best" setting on an electric guitar amp.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 08-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovishead View Post
I don't agree with that at all. Why is the Authentic better? Because it's more expensive?
That doesn't give the poster much credit.

Better because it's:
  • More responsive
  • Louder
  • More complex
  • Clearer
  • Deeper
  • More visually attractive

Give a hundred people a choice between a free standard D-28 and a free D-28 1937 and I'm guessing most people are going for the latter because of how it feels, sounds, plays and looks.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovishead View Post
Saying that Martins with scalloped bracing are "the best" is like saying that turning up the bass and treble and adding reverb is "the best" setting on an electric guitar amp.
To me the questions "What do AGF members think" asks for an opinion. You really don't have a preference?

Of course some people are going to like one or the other better. I don't think that precludes us each giving our own opinion on which is better.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM

Here's another one - now that the old straight braced D-18 is gone, who's complaining?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
That doesn't give the poster much credit.

Better because it's:
  • More responsive
  • Louder
  • More complex
  • Clearer
  • Deeper
  • More visually attractive

Give a hundred people a choice between a free standard D-28 and a free D-28 1937 and I'm guessing most people are going for the latter because of how it feels, sounds, plays and looks.
The things I agree with on your list are

More responsive
Louder
More complex
Deeper.

My reasons for preferring straight braced Martins.

Balance from high to low - less boom domination.
Better at cutting through a mix.
Not so complex - a more direct tone with less reverb and overtones.
Tone doesn't get muddy or overdriven when pushed with energetic rhythm playing.

I've owned many scalloped braced Martins including a D-18A. I enjoyed them while I had them but for me it's the straight braced tone and feel that I crave.

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
To me the questions "What do AGF members think" asks for an opinion. You really don't have a preference?

Of course some people are going to like one or the other better. I don't think that precludes us each giving our own opinion on which is better.
Check out post number 5.

And note that I used the word "prefer". The OP asked if the HD-28 was better or just different. It's different and I "prefer" the D-28.

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 08-29-2014, 03:23 PM

It's amazing what a little bit of scalloping to the braces can do to a guitar. If you decide to forward shift those scalloped braces you have an HD28-V (and a v neck).
Old 08-29-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Here's another one - now that the old straight braced D-18 is gone, who's complaining?
It's not gone - still very easy to buy them on Ebay. If removed from circulation however, I'm sure you'd find lot's of people complaining.

Jimmie Vaughan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion