The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 08:15 AM

Default (My first) NGD! A&L Ami Spruce

Hey up,
Well, after nearly a month looking, bidding and trying out I finally (at the grand old age of 35) got my first guitar!

It's an Art & Lutherie Ami with a solid spruce top. It's now fitted with an ox bone saddle and polished ebony bridge pins (these were a belated birthday gift from my wife), custom light 11-52 strings, and I also fitted a better strap pin.

After nearly a year playing uke, it feels huge, loud and toneful as heck. Today I can't imagine needing a better guitar, but I daresay as my ears and playing improve that will change!

I'd never even heard of A&L before I started frequenting this forum, and the Ami line get such glowing recomendations that I had to jump on this one when it came up (especially as it turns out it shares the same 'birthday' as me).

Incidentally, they call it a 'parlour', but by my measurements it's a 'size 0' - is parlour a more vague term than I thought?

Come the next string change, that soundhole ring is going to have to go though!

No pics no proof, so here they are:

Old 08-29-2014, 09:05 AM

Very nice guitar and wise choice. Love the burst, enjoy!!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 08-29-2014, 09:32 AM

The Ami is a nice little guitar. You'll always remember your first NGD.

You stated "Today I can't imagine needing a better guitar,", give it time.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR79 View Post
…After nearly a year playing uke, it feels huge, loud and toneful as heck. Today I can't imagine needing a better guitar, but I daresay as my ears and playing improve that will change!
Hi MR79…

Hello and welcome to the forum! (I realize you've been here for a bit, but we never met I don't believe).

Bigger than a uke and much better than my first guitar. You'll likely have a great deal of fun learning to play it.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-29-2014, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations. Looks nice. What are you planning on doing with/to the rosette ("soundhole ring")?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:43 AM

Congrats on the NGD!
If you've been playing a uke, try a set of silk and steels on the Ami! Nice feeling strings, very easy to play too as they're light: 11-47ish
Old 08-29-2014, 09:48 AM

Congrats, A&L's are great guitars.
FYI - the rosette stickers peel right off easily and I personally like the look without it.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:50 AM

Hi all, and thanks for the comments - I love this guitar! There are way more decent entry level guitars around now than when I was a teenager (which is my current excuse for leaving it so late), it's a good time to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamalltogether View Post
Congrats on the NGD!
If you've been playing a uke, try a set of silk and steels on the Ami! Nice feeling strings, very easy to play too as they're light: 11-47ish
Which Silk and Steels would you recommend - I've found D'Addario and two different Martin ones (one labelled 'FX' and the other as 'folk')? After my uke days, I'm well used to the long search for the 'right' strings!

As for the rosette, it's only stuck on with strong doublesided tape by the look of it. I've already test lifted one edge, and I think it'll come off smoothly with a bit of heat from a hairdryer. I might try and find a simple decal to replace it.

But all that can wait for now, as playing it is way more important... speaking of which, now is the time for less internet/more guitar (if only someone would invent the intertar)...

Last edited by MR79; 08-29-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Forgot to ask about the strings!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 AM

"Parlour" is indeed a rather vague term.

The one spec that identifies the A&L Ami as a "Parlour" to me is the fact that in addition to its diminutive overall size, this guitar is a 12-fret ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR79 View Post
Incidentally, they call it a 'parlour', but by my measurements it's a 'size 0' - is parlour a more vague term than I thought?

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair

Last edited by Judson; 08-29-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:10 AM

Love the new guitar! Grats... that is a lovely finish on it. Very nice indeed. Enjoy!

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 08-29-2014, 11:21 AM

Default love the ami spruce

I also have an A&L Ami Spruce, and am deeply bonded with it.

Previously I'd owned a Seagull Grand--same size body, cedar top, 14-fret neck. Never bonded with it, too much upper-midrange for my ears, whether from the cedar or 14-frets, who knows? Sold it.

And previously I'd owned TWO cedar-topped Amis--never bonded with them either. Sold 'em.

Then the spruce Ami came along and boom! The recipe perfected.

I immediately removed the awful rubbery mini-padded-toilet-seat rosette--same as every other Art & Lutherie owner I know hereabouts. A&L's 'new and improved' rosette is the only thing they've ever done which seems like a doofus move, IMO.

I liked the Ami's tone new, but fell madly, deeply, addictedly in sonic-love as the top opened up after a few years of constant playing.

Oddly, the other Ami I like--which in no longer being made--was the cherry-laminate top with plain open gears, their 'budget' Ami. Not as loud, but wonderful for blues/slide/open tunings. A few years ago I briefly owned a GREEN sunburst top-laminate Ami which I regret selling--I hope to find another, to keep in open-G tuning. IMO the green burst was lovely, in a 'who gives a hoot about tradition'? fashion. But I'd found it at the flea market for $30 and, when I was offered $150 for it, I yielded to money temptation.

Always like encountering other Ami fans (and fans of all of Godin's lines) How can ya not love a guitar whose name means 'friend' and whose maker's logo is a tree?

Last edited by janepaints; 08-29-2014 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janepaints View Post
Oddly, the other Ami I like--which in no longer being made--was the cherry-laminate top with plain open gears, their 'budget' Ami. Not as loud, but wonderful for blues/slide/open tunings. A few years ago I briefly owned a GREEN sunburst top-laminate Ami which I regret selling--I hope to find another, to keep in open-G tuning. IMO the green burst was lovely, in a 'who gives a hoot about tradition'? fashion. But I'd found it at the flea market for $30 and, when I was offered $150 for it, I yielded to money temptation.
By sheer coincidence my brother has just received a 2001 green, wild cherry laminate Ami with the open tuners this morning! The finish is really lovely. The seller has been a little less than truthful about its condition (it's a bit knocked around, and the bridge seems to be rotating forward a bit), but it's serviceable, and I'm hoping to get it off him when he gets bored with it
I looked all over the net, and his is the only green one I've seen or heard of - until now!
Old 08-29-2014, 12:30 PM

Congrats on the new guitar and welcome to the forum. I had an Ami as a camper/travel guitar and I stupidly sold it- I really loved that little rascal and I miss it dearly.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:34 PM

Delete double post
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 08-29-2014, 12:35 PM

Got an earlier version (2002) of this guitar and travel with it. I love it's tone and volume !

Congrats !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion