The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Anyone here ever try https://www.musicproinsurance.com/ ? It was recommended at another forum. $150/year covers full replacement value up to a certain total (I tried $8000).
Hi MB....

Ours is less than that and covers $27,000

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-29-2014, 01:27 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Anyone here ever try https://www.musicproinsurance.com/ ? It was recommended at another forum. $150/year covers full replacement value up to a certain total (I tried $8000).
I'm always skeptical of online calculators for that sort of thing but the quote you have is about $1.88/$100. That is nearly five times what I'm paying with Heritage.

Last edited by Guest 1928; 08-29-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: changed calculation for clarity
Old 08-29-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I've been with them for years. Only one claim though, when the insurance rubber meets the road, they replaced my laptop when the motherboard died.

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)
Old 08-29-2014, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

thanks for the ongoing info folks.
i'm learning a lot and some things i had not thought of.

we have currently 3 steel string, 1 nylon string guitars, 2 weber and 1 collings mandolin, 2 tenor Ukes, 1 weissenborn, 2 mountain dulcimers, and around 12 native american flutes. i have receipts for most, looking at replacement cost i have about $38000 in wood/steel sitting around.

i don't gig professional, do take an instrument with me almost everywhere. and at times i may ship one in or out.

we do have state farm homeowners, but my agent was not real clear on additional coverage-i will double check on that end again.

lots to consider-thanks again
d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 08-29-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Another State Farm vote. We have a personal articles policy for various special value items.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:57 PM

I've been using Clarion for four years. https://www.clarionins.com I haven't had any claims but it was recommended by a friend who has made claims and said they were great. I checked into a rider on our home owners but for a variety of reasons ( home owners had a deductible and excluded some things, didn't cover professional use) feel Clarion is best for me. When I get a new guitar I add it as soon as it is in my possession and do not delete it until it is no longer in my possession.

There are many good options, just ask questions and go with what makes sense for you and your instruments.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:22 PM

Interesting read........makes me think........none of my instruments have any additional coverage (beyond standard homeowner's policy), and I could not come even close to being able to afford to re-purchase them if they were lost or stolen.

Hmmmmmmm.......

Last edited by darylcrisp; 08-29-2014 at 04:31 PM. Reason: nothing edited-i hit the edit button instead of quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Interesting read........makes me think........none of my instruments have any additional coverage (beyond standard homeowner's policy), and I could not come even close to being able to afford to re-purchase them if they were lost or stolen.

Hmmmmmmm.......
exactly what got me going on this as well. i definitely plan to take out some specific coverage.
i was surprised at the amount of $ we have in instruments when i started adding it up-i bet a lot of folks would be.

d
Old 08-29-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
I'm always skeptical of online calculators for that sort of thing but the quote you have is about $0.19/$1,000. That is about four times the rate I'm paying with Heritage.
You have a really good deal! I'm paying forty cents per hundred.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:39 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
You have a really good deal! I'm paying forty cents per hundred.
Of course your number is correct. Apparently I was juggling too many numbers in my head on a busy afternoon.

(I'll go back and edit my post now to get it in hundreds for a better comparison. Still, $150 premium for $8,000 in instruments is steep.)

Last edited by Guest 1928; 08-29-2014 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I have had guitars insured as scheduled-personal-property on my homeowner's insurance (Arbella) since about 1996. Recently I seem to have had to add several rather rapidly, and there have been no problems or appraisals required...although they would only insure my Guild F47R for the (reduced) price on the sales slip (bought during the factory closeout). Agent tells me I am covered for everything, except if I play for money (not happening!)...I was especially concerned if traveling or away at "guitar camp."
Old 08-29-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieD View Post
Not every insurance company offers it, but some will add riders on a homeowner's policy for specific kinds of valuable personal property, like jewelry, art or musical instruments. State Farm, for example, will insure guitars for a very reasonable yearly premium.
USAA does the same and I took them up on it.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 08-29-2014, 07:30 PM

+1 for State Farm personal articles policy. $30 a year for full coverage on both of mine...But I rarely play out; they don't cover professional musicians.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
+1 for State Farm personal articles policy. $30 a year for full coverage on both of mine...But I rarely play out; they don't cover professional musicians.
Hi D...

I teach in my home and ran this thoroughly past the people in charge and this doesn't qualify me as a professional, even though I charge money.

I do not know where one crosses the line between professional and not. Likely the amount of income derived by, and perhaps other factors.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-29-2014, 08:53 PM

I have clarion and have been happy with the customer service but I've never had to make a claim.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion