The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 AM

I've bought and sold quite a few guitars on craigslist....All very good experiences.

I buy and sell "local" (within 100 miles). I know the item well...I know if it needs a neck reset or other repair.

Buyer be aware at all times!

Russ
Eastman E10 D
Eastman AC 420
Eastman 515 mandolin
Old 08-29-2014, 09:44 AM

Funny you posted a Les Paul counterfeit experience... As someone who also likes to scour local classifieds ads for potential treasures, I just went through a Les Paul counterfeit busting experience VERY recently too!

I chronicled it here: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibs...cs-inside.html

Congrats on dodging a bullet and not spending a single red cent on the dubious guitar. Sorry you had to waste so much time communicating with the seller(s) though.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:52 AM

My Craigslist rules:

1.) Set up a dedicated email used only for Craigslist transactions. Never give them your personal email.
2.) Always use cell phone for the initial personal contact - never give out your home phone and address until you have verified potential buyers or sellers as being locals.
3.) Buy and sell locally - seller and buyer meet face-to-face. No shipping!
4.) Cash only! No checks, no MOs, no Paypal. ATMs are all over the place, they should have no trouble withdrawing money from their account.
5.) Shake hands and say goodbye.

IMO, any deviation from the above is asking for trouble.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 AM

I'm amazed you would object to being scammed when you would have taken advantage of someone who was unsophisticated about the value of guitars, and never questioned it.

That's who these listings are trolling for. Someone looking to "steal" a guitar from someone who doesn't know what they have.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-30-2014, 07:43 AM

I wasn't looking to "steal" anything. I was told during our discourse that the guitar cost a heck of a lot more when they purchased it but that they needed to sell it. At the time, I figured the seller knew its approximate worth and was willing to take the hit for a quick sale.

Had I been able to put a real value on the guitar that was significantly more than what they were asking, would I have offered more than the asking price? No. Maybe you would have and I commend you for it. Thank you for your implication about my character. I'll certainly do a little soul-searching as a result of your post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion