The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:56 AM

As a kid and to this day I regularly see box turtles crossing the road or on my proprerty. Not an endangered species. Why not use their shells to make picks similar to tortoise ? Any one doing this ? Would they sound similar ?

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 08-28-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
As a kid and to this day I regularly see box turtles crossing the road or on my proprerty. Not an endangered species. Why not use their shells to make picks similar to tortoise ? Any one doing this ? Would they sound similar ?

John
I read somewhere that they are not the same at all, softer and flaky. Was also hoping that it would work, I could potentially get some of it.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:47 PM

Where can he purchase vintage authentic tortoise picks? From a private seller, since commercial sales are prohibited and sites such as eBay refuse to handle the listings. It will be up the buyer to determine whether the seller is actually offering legal pre-cites picks and whether the labels or other documentation are genuine.

What's a fair price? Since commercial and international trade is prohibited and since domestic private sales outlets refuse to handle these transactions, there is no standardized way to establish a going price. Further, since the private market is flooded with untraceable fakes and illegally traded stocks, any price needs to take the resulting black market into account when attempting to establish a price for genuine documented stock.

Last edited by justonwo; 08-30-2014 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 08-28-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucefulton View Post
The OP asked, "Where can I legally purchase vintage authentic tortoise picks? What's a fair price to pay for them if I can find them? "

And your answer is "Yes?"

I don't actually see either question answered in five pages of this thread.

But I will answer them.

Where can he purchase vintage authentic tortoise picks? From a private seller, since commercial sales are prohibited and sites such as eBay refuse to handle the listings. It will be up the buyer to determine whether the seller is actually offering legal pre-cites picks and whether the labels or other documentation are genuine.

What's a fair price? Since commercial and international trade is prohibited and since domestic private sales outlets refuse to handle these transactions, there is no standardized way to establish a going price. Further, since the private market is flooded with untraceable fakes and illegally traded stocks, any price needs to take the resulting black market into account when attempting to establish a price for genuine documented stock.
And an antique dealer is not a commercial seller? I've seen this said a few time "commercial ... trade prohibited". Commercial trade in the context of legal antiques is not prohibited. Commercial trade of a legally sellable piece of tortoise shell is not prohibited.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:01 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Commercial trade of pre-ban material in the US is not prohibited. There are some restrictions, so with places such as Ebay find it much easier just to disallow it.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post

John
For the same reason that Kangaroo teeth or Bison horn is no substitute for Ivory. Unfortunately, Hawksbill tortoise shell, like elephant ivory, is singularly well suited for the purposes to which it has been put. But it is also true that although traditionalists refuse to acknowledge it, materials are available, both natural and synthetic, that equal or surpass the properties of these traditional materials.

I defy anyone to listen to any recording of a guitar and identify, blind, whether it was recorded with a tortoise shell pick or some other material.

These myths persist at the expense of natural resources that should have been abandoned for commercial trade decades ago. At this point, it's a matter of whether the species at risk will outlast old guitarists who believe these myths. I'm not sure the species will win. Sad.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Commercial trade of pre-ban material in the US is not prohibited. There are some restrictions, so with places such as Ebay find it much easier just to disallow it.
This is a gray area. In general, commercial trade or re-purposing can be legally problematic. See http://pickcollecting.presspublisher...l-guitar-picks specifically with regard to picks. Should a store, for example, set up a bin with tortoise shell picks and claim they are pre-cites, they would almost certainly entertain a visit by one or more federal agencies if it came to their attention or there was a complaint. Private trade is usually (but not always) left alone. As a practical matter, commercial trade other than incidental trade such as flea shops, is dead.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
The OP asked, "Where can I legally purchase vintage authentic tortoise picks? What's a fair price to pay for them if I can find them? "

And your answer is "Yes?"

I don't actually see either question answered in five pages of this thread.

But I will answer them.

I'm curious as to how what your "I will answer" says that wasn't materially covered in the post I put up a while back:

Quote:
1. I'd not recommend trying it UNLESS you have a very reputable antique dealer friend. Too easy to get burned or in legal trouble.
2. IF you can feel comfortable with # 1, whatever the traffic will bear. Antiques don't come cheap.
3. OR you can buy a genuine TS antique piece of whatever works size-wise from a reputable dealer and fabricate your own perfectly legal to own, use and enjoy - but not sell - pick. Safest route.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
And an antique dealer is not a commercial seller? I've seen this said a few time "commercial ... trade prohibited". Commercial trade in the context of legal antiques is not prohibited. Commercial trade of a legally sellable piece of tortoise shell is not prohibited.
As long as you have documentation that it is legally sellable. As a practical matter, commercial trade is dead. Ask Gibson about current federal enforcement of CITES regulated resources.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
These myths persist at the expense of natural resources that should have been abandoned for commercial trade decades ago. At this point, it's a matter of whether the species at risk will outlast old guitarists who believe these myths. I'm not sure the species will win. Sad.
Well said. People always seem to have a selfish desire for that which they can't have. Even discussion of this topic is no small way keeps the market active.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:20 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
This is a gray area. In general, commercial trade or re-purposing can be legally problematic. See http://pickcollecting.presspublisher...l-guitar-picks specifically with regard to picks. Should a store, for example, set up a bin with tortoise shell picks and claim they are pre-cites, they would almost certainly entertain a visit by one or more federal agencies if it came to their attention or there was a complaint. Private trade is usually (but not always) left alone. As a practical matter, commercial trade other than incidental trade such as flea shops, is dead.
I agree with much of that, except the gray area part. It's actually fairly clear.

That aside, "problematic" is not the same as "prohibited". It may indeed be complicated, but it is not prohibited outright as you previously stated.

Quote:
As long as you have documentation that it is legally sellable. As a practical matter, commercial trade is dead. Ask Gibson about current federal enforcement of CITES regulated resources.
Gibson's problem is a whole other can of worms, but that was related to Lacey violations, not CITES.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:29 PM

From a purely practical standpoint, why would someone want to commit to using something that they will ultimately have to switch away from anyway. A pick is so important to a flatpicker that changing can be a real challenge. Also, the way people get a case of the vapors when you tell them you paid $35 for a pick, they will go into instant cardiac arrest over the price of even poached tortoiseshell.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post

Gibson's problem is a whole other can of worms, but that was related to Lacey violations, not CITES.
The two are rather inseparable. See http://eia-global.org/campaigns/fore...acey-and-cites
Old 08-28-2014, 11:09 PM

I think it's time to call it done when people bring the Arms discussion into it, and quote that deliberately misunderstood and perenially misappropriated clause about rights to ownership.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Well, yeah. What I said. Including the part about all you posted above was moot. Did you actually read what I wrote? And what about bringing it back to the topic at hand, with my followup comments?

Moderator, time to call this thread done.

If you don't like the way a thread is turning just stop posting. Why try to get a moderator to shut it down? Other posters are enjoying and gaining information from the thread......

Don
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion