The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-04-2013, 05:24 PM

Default Belated NGD 00DB JT Review

This is a belated NGD/review. I recently got a new Martin 00DB Jeff Tweedy and have had a chance to play it and have it properly set-up (for my playing).

I had never heard of Jeff Tweedy before hearing about this guitar, nor am I all that green, but this 00 has a unique voice that is unmistakably Martin but with the authority of the mahogany top to boot.

The Martin open back vintage tuners look and feel great, no slippage detected.

1 3/4" bone nut nicely done with a little room to go lower on the slot depth (which I did).

The modified V neck is nice too, the V is subdued and the neck is thicker than the low oval which is a good thing for me.

I have no issues with the richlite board, the surface is smooth and my nails don't grate against it like on some rosewood boards.

The sunburst top is beautiful and gets lots of compliments.

The deep body is not an issue for me as it is only a 1/2" deeper than my Taylor

I haven't taken any pics yet but will do so once I am finished setting the guitar up...
Old 12-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Congrats, I love the look and the specs on this guitar.

I also recommend checking out some music from Jeff Tweedy and Wilco, one of my favorite bands.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Congrats on the new Martin. The 00DB doesn't get much attention now that the CEO7 is out but it's a fantastic guitar. Use it in good health.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:36 PM

Ive heard a lot of great things about this model. Should be a keeper.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 PM

I lost a little tone when I set the neck relief and put a set of ebony bridge pins in to compensate. Definitely a keeper!!!

I've got a few more things in line for this guitar, just waiting on the time and money... more to come.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM

What would you say would be the difference in sound between the Tweedy and say the Martin OM-15 models?
Old 12-17-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
What would you say would be the difference in sound between the Tweedy and say the Martin OM-15 models?
The Tweedy is a bit more versatile tonewise, there are some mid-upper brilliance and overtones that the browns don't have. And, good overtones are easily coaxed. The deeper body gives it a lot of bass for a 00.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleamp View Post
The Tweedy is a bit more versatile tonewise, there are some mid-upper brilliance and overtones that the browns don't have. And, good overtones are easily coaxed. The deeper body gives it a lot of bass for a 00.
So tempted to sell my Martin OMC-15e and use it towards a Tweedy mahogany.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:26 PM

Great little guitar. I've had mine for about a week and so far it has been the best fitting guitar for me. Loving the sound, with a high end like I've never heard before. The bass end takes a little adjusting to, but once you figure out how to attack it properly, it is equally as heavenly; something I was a little worried about after reading some reviews and having played and owned various all mahogany guitars. I've owned and played a Gibson LG1, LG0, and LG2; recently I had a Martin 00-18v, a Martin 000-18ge, and a 2012 Martin D18; all of which were lovely guitars. Somehow, this 00-DB has captured all the things that I found to be wonderful in those guitars, and I've yet to find one instance of playing style or song that this guitar has faltered (unlike those guitars I listed). To be honest, I was also worried that the guitar would lack the ability to be diverse; it has proven me otherwise--it possesses an extensive range. My new dream guitar is now a 00-DB with an Adirondack top and braces, along with an ebony bridge and fretboard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion