The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2014, 07:51 AM

Dominick, welcome. This is an interesting forum, all sorts of opinions, experiences, and info. You learned to play on a 12-string? Brave man.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 08-30-2014, 08:16 AM

Welcome to the AGF, Dominick. You're correct, this is a great place to hang out.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Hi Dominick…

Hello and Welcome to the Forum! Glad you joined and jumped in with an introduction.

I relate to the spoiling grandkids post. We are really enjoying our retirement, and I'm enjoying the freedom to play whenever I choose.

So you cut your teeth on a Harmony 12 eh? Did you cut any fingertips? Man some of those were workout machines!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Hello Dominick, glad to have you here!

(A fellow grandfather is always welcome!)

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-30-2014, 08:54 AM

Welcome Dominick!
Old 08-30-2014, 09:05 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Come on in, the water is lovely... most of the time
Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Glad you're here. I'm not from Texas but after the experiences I had when I visited the Padre Islands some years back I often wish I could live there. Got a chance to play in one of your fine Gulf Coast bars while I was there and that was a hoot. Welcome.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF! Lots of helpful people here. It's a good place.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:12 PM

Many Thanks to everyone for such a warm welcome. Y'all sure know how to make a new guy feel right at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I saw in your signature that you have a Loar. I've been really intrigued by Loars lately after seeing clips of JT Earle and Sara Bareilles playing theirs on nationally televised performances. How are you enjoying yours? Do you consider it to be a "beater" guitar compared to the Martins you own, or do you think of it as being on similar footing?
Redbeard,
It's a keeper. Not a beater, but I did buy it thinking it would make a good travel/camping/beach guitar. It's much more than that. Very well made, fun and easy to play, big sound from a small guitar with great sustain. String spacing at the nut and saddle is very close to my 2 Martins. Only downside for me was getting used to the smaller body size after being a dread guy all these years. Comes with a bone nut and scalloped bracing, only mods I did was make a new bone saddle and added some bone pins from LMI. Sounds VG with either JP 600L or EJ16 strings.

"So you cut your teeth on a Harmony 12 eh? Did you cut any fingertips?"

Well Larry I must have gotten one of the good ones, I remember the action was actually pretty good, especially at the nut. Changing strings and getting it tuned was always an adventure. That was the first and only 12 I ever owned.
'14 Martin 00-15m
Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post

Redbeard,
It's a keeper. Not a beater, but I did buy it thinking it would make a good travel/camping/beach guitar. It's much more than that. Very well made, fun and easy to play, big sound from a small guitar with great sustain. String spacing at the nut and saddle is very close to my 2 Martins. Only downside for me was getting used to the smaller body size after being a dread guy all these years. Comes with a bone nut and scalloped bracing, only mods I did was make a new bone saddle and added some bone pins from LMI. Sounds VG with either JP 600L or EJ16 strings.
That's what I was hoping to hear. I've been strongly considering scooping up a used LH-250 to keep at my office. I'm also primarily a dread guy, but every now and again I find myself jonesing for a snappy little blues box.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Welcome, my friend. You got some nice guitars in your barn.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion