The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-30-2014, 06:17 AM

Default Adirondack on a size 0 Guitar.

Hi,
I am considering having a Size 0 guitar built, I was thinking of an Adi top over Mahogany, in stead of Sitka over Mahogany, that my Brook Taw has.
What could I expect in sound difference on a small bodied guitar? Is Adi a brighter, punchier tone wood? I do not use a pick or thumb pick and mainly play acoustic blues. Any information most welcome.
Cheers.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:56 AM

Default Adirondack on a size 0 Guitar.

Froggy Bottom Guitars are faintly famous for the larger than life found from their pallor guitars with Adirondack. Try one and see jowvitvsuits u.

There's one for sale in AGF classifieds.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Collings also makes an outstanding Adi/Mahogany 0. It's their 01A model. And yes… I think it is slightly punchier than Sitka. I'm not sure I'd call it brighter, but in some cases, it can be. I think of Adi as a little drier, crisper than Sitka. I'm a big fan of the sweetness of German over Mahogany, but Adi is somewhat similar and sounds superb combined with Mahogany.

Artisan happens to have one in stock right now, so there is a sound clip if you'd like to listen.

http://artisanguitars.com/collings-0...uce-mahogany-0
Old 08-30-2014, 07:50 AM

I have only owned one Adi topped guitar amongst 12 acoustics over the years. My opinion is no, I wouldn't use it on a 0 sized guitar unless you want to wait forever for it to open up. Mine never did.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Of course, it depends on what the builder does with the wood, whatever it is. I'm certain that there are fantastic small-bodied guitars with Adirondack tops. I have one, in fact. But honestly, I think that Sitka or Engelmann can also really shine on a small body, where responsiveness and a bit of warmth suit the typical tonal characteristics of the smaller box and maximum volume (and thus lots of headroom) isn't really the objective.

Because Adirondack costs more, it's easy to think of it as "the best top wood." And sometimes it is. But I think its advantages over other spruces is less evident when a good builder is making a small-bodied guitar. But, of course, letting your ears judge is the best option when you have that choice.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarfish View Post
I have only owned one Adi topped guitar amongst 12 acoustics over the years. My opinion is no, I wouldn't use it on a 0 sized guitar unless you want to wait forever for it to open up. Mine never did.
I can echo this - although I don't have a long bit of time to back up research. I had a mid-size Goodall built for me, and the shop owner urged me to go adirondack over mahogany. It sounded nice but a bit strident. I think the break in time is very long, and I lost my patience. Smaller guits are pretty focused already. Sitka or german would get a small axe to the sweet spot sooner.

But the proofs is in the pudding (in the ears).
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 08-30-2014, 08:24 AM

Devellis said it so much more eloquently than I. Sounds like an experienced voice worth listening to.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Opinions are all worth a listen! Mine would be that a good piece of adi in the right hands may be what you want. I would consider what a given builder uses and has success with as opposed to trying to break new ground... As overbuilding would be a possible outcome to someone not familiar with a given wood in a given small body... A nice thin slightly arched top would give a tone similar to .. A small arch top, dry focused and punchy, great for blues..
Carpathian is supposed to have similar characteristics..
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 08-30-2014, 11:20 AM

In my own limited experience I found similar strident properties in Adirondack in size 0 guitars, and I liked Engelmann most.
2014 Recording King RP1-626-C
Blueridge BR-341
Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 PM

Thank you for the replies. Some sound information as always on this forum, I think `devellis`and `Kirkham` make a good point regarding the builder being good and there success with certain woods, rather than break new ground. My Taw is my only guitar and will always be with me, so I guess the replies from you all, have confirmed what I was thinking. Go with the same format, if I take the plunge on another Brook. The hardest part is the 10 month wait.
So once again, thanks to you all.
Cheers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion