The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2021, 04:18 PM

Default Martin 0-18 vs 0-18T case size

I recently finished building a 0-18 clone and have been shopping for a case. I found a good deal on 0 size tenor cases. Does anyone know if a 6 string 0 will fit in a 0 tenor case? The body size seems to be the same, I am wondering if the case's neck length will be the same.
The cases on sale list overall length at 40" but inside dimension might be different.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/194462...etaken-public/
Old 11-14-2021, 06:06 AM

Default Martin 0-18 vs 0-18T case size

Hi Fathand,

It might ...but it’s going to be snug!

Martin quotes the following dimensions:

Just looking at the overall length as an example, I measured the thickness of the case/padding of my standard Martin/TKL case [NB. Not on O size] at the headstock end (1/2”) and at the body cavity end (3/4”). Subtracting these measurements from the overall 40” case length you quote leaves 38 3/4” to take the 38 3/8” length of your instrument- it a lot of wriggle room there!

Perhaps even more concerning is the body length, with more than an 1” difference, if the case is a good fit for a Tenor you might be able to get your guitars body in, but I would be concerned that in doing so you would be compressing the padding so much as to negate its protective properties!

Having made all the effort you have to build your O-18 clone I would recommend continuing your search for a more appropriate case.

Hope that helps, and big congrats on your build.

Regards,

Clive.

Last edited by NotALuth; 11-14-2021 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Added table to replace dimensions due to formatting issues
Old 11-14-2021, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

I recently had a Martin 0-16NY that came in a new case made by a company called "Superior." It was a very nice case, black tolex. I had never heard of them.

If you could find them online, maybe they could provide you with what you need.

Not sure if this will help you out, but maybe? Good luck.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:01 AM

Thanks all, I have decided against this case after I found an online review that list all the inner dimensions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion