The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2021, 05:42 PM

Go to any of the online stores and look for this guitar: Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 VTS Aged Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar. iIt will provide you with the exact specs for a 1930’s D-28. If I’m not mistaken there is also a D-18 of similar lineage in the offing.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:02 AM

Made my decision and pre ordered a OM18 Ambertone to replicate the $42,000 1932 at Norman's. Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate all the comments. Now NGD in 22 Months.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster
Old 11-14-2021, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklemm18 View Post
Made my decision and pre ordered a OM18 Ambertone to replicate the $42,000 1932 at Norman's. Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate all the comments. Now NGD in 22 Months.
I don't know for sure how PW does business, but it seems to me that I've read various posts of people changing their minds a number of times between when they placed the order and when work began on their guitar, which I have to guess isn't more than a few weeks or, at most, a couple months before they deliver it to you. So, glad you got your place in line, but if you change your mind, my guess is they're pretty flexible until they actually start cutting and bending the wood for your guitar.

In any case, good luck - I hope you love it. I've thought about doing something similar, but if I were to buy a PW, I'd probably have to sell both of my current acoustics, and I love them both and don't feel any need or even desire for an upgrade. So, for the foreseeable future, I'm sitting tight. But I'm definitely curious about a PW. I think I'd be more inclined to go for a mahogany too, based on everything I've read, but I'm not sure I want a hog guitar drier than my CEO-7, which I also can't imagine parting with.

Congrats in advance!

-Ray
Old 11-14-2021, 09:10 AM

Thanks Ray.

The biggest thing I am going back and forth on is OM vs 000. I am still not sure but know I have a little time before I need to finalize it. I love my current reimagined 000-18 so I figured I would go with he OM to add to instead of replace that but I did come across a video of Molly Tuttle playing a PW 000-18 and man does it make me jones for one. Although Molly could make a cigar box and strings sound good. So yes I still have a bit of back and forth to go but got myself over the hump of actually placing the order.

BTW Ray - I fi had your stable I may not be looking to upgrade either.

Jonas
Old 11-14-2021, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Go to any of the online stores and look for this guitar: Martin D-28 Authentic 1937 VTS Aged Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar. iIt will provide you with the exact specs for a 1930’s D-28. If I’m not mistaken there is also a D-18 of similar lineage in the offing.
I realize this is probably very pedantic but the Authentics are as close as Martin has come to what they made in the 30's but not exact, spec-wise. The body shape and back arching are just a couple of things. It's explained more in-depth in the link below (I hope linking to that site is OK). I love those Authentics but do wish for a time when Martin would make a true recreation of those guitars.

https://umgf.com/viewtopic.php?p=2552799#p2552799
Old 11-14-2021, 02:16 PM

I am not sure if this is the same guitar at Norman's but I am pretty sure there aren't too many 1932 OM18 shade tops that have survived so this may be it. Anyways a nice listen,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eip7A4-s-8g

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion