The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-08-2021, 06:44 PM

Default Advice on Pre*War Guitar Co. Purchase

Hello. I am enamored with PW Martin Guitars but also know I will never own one. Along comes PWGC. I am strongly considering on order for either a 00 or 000 (cant decide but currently have a 000-18). I also cant decide between Mahogany and EIR (BRW is out of my range). what would have been the most period correct rendition for a guitar from the 30's. would it have more likely been 18 or 28 style, Thanks in advance.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster
Old 11-08-2021, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

I’m not sure of your question as to period correct as both the 000-18 and 000-28 have been made since 1934. Mahogany guitars were less expensive so there were more of those made but not dramatically. Are you asking for specs? The OM-18 and OM-28 were made from 1929-1934. In 1934 the name changed but the guitars didn’t until mid-1934 when they switched from bar frets to T-frets and the scale changed from about 25.25” to 24.9” nominal (they were not 25.4” as most people think). From mid-1934 to mid-1938 the braces were in the OM position with a 1 3/4” nut and 2 5/16” saddle spacing and in mid-1938 they switched to rear shifted bracing which moved the X from about 1” from the soundhole to about 1 7/8” in 1939 they switched the nut to 1 11/16” and the saddle to 2 1/8”

But Wes and Ben will know all this and can customize certain things for you. I have a 1936 000-18, 1937 00-17, 1937 00-18H, and a PW OM-28 Adirondack/Brazilian distress level 1 (and a D28 Aged Authentic). The aged guitars sound fantastic, look like the real deal, and feel like it too. Not truly vintage of course but pretty close.

Since you already have an OM-28 and a 000-18, I’d try a 00-18 or find a used Brazilian 00 if you get there. The EIR will be great too. The nice thing is, you grab one off the wall and it feels like a great worn-in pair of jeans. Some people don’t get relic’d guitars but I do. I have vintage guitars,but I’m not a vintage snob. Play what you like and make music.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:09 PM

Thanks Jimi. That’s a lot of great info and really appreciated. I like the idea of the relic. I know what it’s about and it’s for my enjoyment. Looking at the level two. I am strongly leaning toward a 00. My biggest decision is on the wood. As I am going for the period correct feeling I would like to get what would have most likely been the guitar of choice for the average musician. I love the sound of both and would hang each on my wall if I could.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:17 PM

The way I look at it (maybe different than you), is which PW model is closest to an actual pre-war Martin guitar? Martin didn’t use EIR back in the 30’s so a mahogany model today will be closer to what was actually being built in the 30’s.

Either way, I think you will end up with a great guitar. Good luck!
Old 11-08-2021, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklemm18 View Post
Thanks Jimi. That’s a lot of great info and really appreciated. I like the idea of the relic. I know what it’s about and it’s for my enjoyment. Looking at the level two. I am strongly leaning toward a 00. My biggest decision is on the wood. As I am going for the period correct feeling I would like to get what would have most likely been the guitar of choice for the average musician. I love the sound of both and would hang each on my wall if I could.
I'm a fan of the 00, great choice IMO.

Rosewood or mahogany. It depends on the sound you want really, if that's a consideration. Otherwise by looks,.. an average musician might be able to afford a 00-18, a working man's guitar, the rosewood model being a bit more $$s and fancier.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I'm a fan of the 00, great choice IMO.

Rosewood or mahogany. It depends on the sound you want really, if that's a consideration. Otherwise by looks,.. an average musician might be able to afford a 00-18, a working man's guitar, the rosewood model being a bit more $$s and fancier.

Thanks for the input. Sound is obviously the biggest driver. I know that either model would blow me away. I love both my 000 18 and OM 28 equally for different reasons. I am thinking the 18 would better compliment the 00 size but then again I have never played a 00 in rosewood so I’m going on a leap of faith which is a pretty big jump for a two year wait.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Another thing people that have only read about vintage guitars don’t understand is that Brazilian guitars of the day do NOT sound like Brazilian guitars of today. The modern voice (even Martin) is wet with tons of reverb and overtones. The 1930s guitars were dry as a bone (pun intended) and sustain forever, but with very little overtones. So a Brazilian guitar of the ’30s can sound like a modern mahogany guitar and a mahogany guitar of the 1930s may sound like a modern maple guitar. Some people (most) are shocked at the dryness of tone. PWGC excels at this reproduction so an EIR Pre*War may not be a bad representation of a 1930’s OM-28 or an 000-28. I paid extra for PW’s highest, straightest grade of Brazilian (only because once gone, it's gone), but EIR is not a bad choice if you want a rosewood vintage-toned guitar. I’m just saying….
Old 11-08-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
Another thing people that have only read about vintage guitars don’t understand is that Brazilian guitars of the day do NOT sound like Brazilian guitars of today. The modern voice (even Martin) is wet with tons of reverb and overtones. The 1930s guitars were dry as a bone (pun intended) and sustain forever, but with very little overtones. So a Brazilian guitar of the ’30s can sound like a modern mahogany guitar and a mahogany guitar of the 1930s may sound like a modern maple guitar. Some people (most) are shocked at the dryness of tone. PWGC excels at this reproduction so an EIR Pre*War may not be a bad representation of a 1930’s OM-28 or an 000-28. I paid extra for PW’s highest, straightest grade of Brazilian (only because once gone, it's gone), but EIR is not a bad choice if you want a rosewood vintage-toned guitar. I’m just saying….

That’s a great point. I am really happy someone with your level knowledge on both the vintage Martins and PWGC. I have been reading through the the 260 page thread on UMGF and I’m ready to take the plunge. I could literally throw a dart at any of their models and be stoked but feel like a 00 is the perfect guitar to compliment my collection. I’m not a D guy due to shoulder issues. Would love an HD but it just wouldn’t work.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Sound is obviously the biggest driver. I know that either model would blow me away. I love both my 000 18 and OM 28 equally for different reasons. I am thinking the 18 would better compliment the 00 size but then again I have never played a 00 in rosewood so I’m going on a leap of faith which is a pretty big jump for a two year wait.
I have a Martin 00-28 and all my other guitars are 00(s) w/ mahogany B&S w/ one maple.

The 00-28 is a special guitar, rosewood and that body size work well together. When I was researching the 00-28 I ran across a lot of praise for that particular model Martin. To me it's a classic, my other guitars are pretty simple, 15 series Martin, Waterloo, etc. I like the slightly upscale feel of the 28 series for a change.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Jimi has given you some good advice, particularly about the “dryness” of old guitars and what Pre*War Guitars is attempting to recreate. I am not a fan of that ‘dry as a bone’ sound personally, instead preferring the wetter modern Martin voicing.

That said, my friend’s Pre*War Adi/BRW OM Distress level 1 is among the very best OMs I’ve ever played — it’s got sufficient overtone content, is very powerful, and sounds good for fiddle tunes which is pretty much all I do.

Figure out what sound you prefer and go from there. But if you don’t like the dry sound, be warned in advance that Pre*War might not be right for you.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-13-2021, 04:28 AM

Hi folks. So I have been blowing up the internet trying to figure out what I want in my build and I think I have it nailed down. I would like to replicate this 1932 OM18 Shade Top -https://www.normansrareguitars.com/1932 ... e-top.html. I am struggling however with the finish choices as neither the Sunburst r the Iced T looks quite right. Can anyone post pics of the Iced T finish. That is the closest but it looks really red in the pics on the PW website. Also, I cant seem to figure out the distress levels. Some of the pics on the site show an acceptable amount of wear at level 2 and some are excessive at level 2 so I just want to be sure. Thanks in advance...I really appreciate the input.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also, I cant seem to figure out the distress levels. Some of the pics on the site show an acceptable amount of wear at level 2 and some are excessive at level 2 so I just want to be sure. Thanks in advance...I really appreciate the input.
They have a much heavier hand today with the Relicing. Several years back, their Distress level 2 looked like today's 1.5. If you order a 2 today, there will be substantial relicing and wear. To play it on the conservative side, I wouldn't go any higher than 1.5.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-13-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
They have a much heavier hand today with the Relicing. Several years back, their Distress level 2 looked like today's 1.5. If you order a 2 today, there will be substantial relicing and wear. To play it on the conservative side, I wouldn't go any higher than 1.5.
That's great info. Thank you. The amount of Relic on the shade tops really comes out. I can handle more on the natural top but think it gets heavy quick on the shade tops.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
My 2021 Level 1 has NO relic at all. Just finish crazing. OTOH I've seen some 1.5's that had considerable pick wear specifically older ones from 2018-2019.

I will add that it's completely personal preference too. If I had my choice I wish this guitar was a 2-3. I just think it looks cool and if I'm going to do something, I don't like half-measures.
Old 11-13-2021, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Something to consider is if you did spring for a "real" 30's Martin you'd have something that would appreciate. My '37 00-17 is my favorite. Sounds and feels great. Looks like it's been through the meat grinder but makes no difference to me. I'm sure i could sell for a lot more than i paid 10 years ago. But it doesn't matter since i couldn't imagine parting with it.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion