The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2021, 11:08 AM

Default Furch OM Cedar/rosewood, regular or deep body?

Hi!
I am ordering a Furch rainbow OM with Cedar top and Rosewood back and sides. It will have 43 mm nut width (small and thin hands), and short scale neck.

I was gong to have it be their normal OM in every other way, just realized that the Olson SJ's are deeper than an OM, and since it was the sound of James Taylor's guitar that made me want a Cedar top in the first place, I thought I had to consider if I would be more happy with a deep body instead before ordering.

I'm still swaying towards the regular depth, because Olson SJ's are probably taylored to that depth in every way and the Furch will probably just be the same but deep, so maybe there will be other things that will not be so good?

I play fingerstyle and very light strums, like picking the bass notes and strumming with one finger, no picks, just nails (natural, not as long as JT's) I have an Eastman E20 ss, so I have something with more bass if I need it.
I don't have a chance to play a Furch deep body OM, and can't find examples of them with cedar/rosewood on youtube, but I like the sitka ones I heard. I really like the sound of the regular CR OM's, though.
Anyone with more experience with these kinds of guitars that have any thoughts?
Old 10-27-2021, 11:18 AM

I haven't played a Furch deep body OM, but I have a deep body OM. I love the extra bass I get from it, but it feels a bit more like a dreadnaught from a comfort standpoint though. Certainly not unmanageable for me, but I do find a standard sized OOO/OM to be more comfortable to play. As always, YMMV
Old 10-27-2021, 11:32 AM

Yours is a good question—one I’ve wondered about myself (since, if I were to order a Rainbow, it would certainly be an OM).

In my case, I’m pretty sure I’d go with a standard depth since I already have a Grand Auditorium Furch for whenever I need more bass. I think I’d be ok with two guitars somewhat different in their tonalities for the sake of one of them being much more physically comfortable.

Old 10-28-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I haven't played a Furch deep body OM, but I have a deep body OM. I love the extra bass I get from it, but it feels a bit more like a dreadnaught from a comfort standpoint though. Certainly not unmanageable for me, but I do find a standard sized OOO/OM to be more comfortable to play. As always, YMMV
Thanks for sharing! Do you feel that you loose any treble or top end shimmer because of it? I am most concerned about the sound, because anything smaller than a square shouldered dread is comfortable enough for meg to play.
Old 10-28-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Yours is a good question—one I’ve wondered about myself (since, if I were to order a Rainbow, it would certainly be an OM).

In my case, I’m pretty sure I’d go with a standard depth since I already have a Grand Auditorium Furch for whenever I need more bass. I think I’d be ok with two guitars somewhat different in their tonalities for the sake of one of them being much more physically comfortable.

Yes, I feel that this is the safest choice as well considering it's the standard and the one you can try out yourself and listen to most examples of. But I just worry that I will regret it if I get to try out a deep body with the same features later and find that it's even closer to my "dream sound".
Old 10-28-2021, 07:36 AM

I cant imagine that the little more depth in the body of the guitar would really be that much more noticeable, but I have a feeling it would make a difference in the sound. If it were me I would go with the deeper body. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I have a Stonebridge/Furch Deep Body OM 33SR and it is fantastic. It has loads of volume with minimal effort and the low end is strong without being over the top.

But mine is an aged spruce top. Cedar would be a different vibe and I’m not sure a cedar/rosewood pairing would benefit from the deep body. It might be 2 much or a good thing. Not saying it won’t be great but it’s a gamble. I would see if you can find some sound samples of a cedar Deep body guitar just as reference.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-30-2021, 09:10 PM

Appreciate your opinion Baw3, thanks!

Mbroady: Nice to hear from someone who have a deep body Furch. I tried to google some more for any deep body Cedar OM, and found a couple of videos on them. It is difficuly to judge by those few alone as the recording quality can impact the sound, but I have come to the conclusion that I don't think it is a good idea to go for the DB without trying it first. I felt that at least one of them had a sound that sort of seemed to be a bit trapped inside the guitar, when the Furch OM CR is not that way at all. Maybe the OM CR DB is fantastic too, but it feels safer to go with the normal depth when it is a Cedar top.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
Appreciate your opinion Baw3, thanks!

Mbroady: Nice to hear from someone who have a deep body Furch. I tried to google some more for any deep body Cedar OM, and found a couple of videos on them. It is difficuly to judge by those few alone as the recording quality can impact the sound, but I have come to the conclusion that I don't think it is a good idea to go for the DB without trying it first. I felt that at least one of them had a sound that sort of seemed to be a bit trapped inside the guitar, when the Furch OM CR is not that way at all. Maybe the OM CR DB is fantastic too, but it feels safer to go with the normal depth when it is a Cedar top.

If only the dealer would take returns on a custom order.....?
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-31-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! Do you feel that you loose any treble or top end shimmer because of it? I am most concerned about the sound, because anything smaller than a square shouldered dread is comfortable enough for meg to play.
I'm a fingerstyle player also. Cedar is a great top wood because of the way it responds to soft attack. I think it'd probably be a good choice for you. My custom deep body OM has cedar over EIR. Mine doesn't loose anything in the top end, but I think that has more to do with the way it was built than the body size. It does have a slight slower attack, not as immediate as a standard OM body, which is great for some things, pieces that are slower and more intimate. I love it, but I've got other guitars too for different voices.

My personal opinion, and take it for what you paid, is a standard depth OM will be a more versatile guitar, so if I were to only have one, it would not be a deep body. I'm sure there are a bunch of people who feel the opposite. IMHO, a standard depth OM would be a safer bet if you can't go try them first.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:13 AM

That’s some great information in the post just above (jklotz).

Old 10-31-2021, 10:54 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I would go with the deep body, only because I like the mellow tone a larger bodied guitar can give. My cedar topped Furch isn't all that mellow as compared to my spruce guitars, but maybe it is mellower than a spruce topped Furch of the same age and size.

I just received my Furch at the end of March of this year so it still has a lot of time yet to open up.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-31-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Hi!
I am ordering a Furch rainbow OM with Cedar top and Rosewood back and sides. It will have 43 mm nut width (small and thin hands), and short scale neck.

I was gong to have it be their normal OM in every other way, just realized that the Olson SJ's are deeper than an OM, and since it was the sound of James Taylor's guitar that made me want a Cedar top in the first place, I thought I had to consider if I would be more happy with a deep body instead before ordering.

I'm still swaying towards the regular depth, because Olson SJ's are probably taylored to that depth in every way and the Furch will probably just be the same but deep, so maybe there will be other things that will not be so good?

I play fingerstyle and very light strums, like picking the bass notes and strumming with one finger, no picks, just nails (natural, not as long as JT's) I have an Eastman E20 ss, so I have something with more bass if I need it.
I don't have a chance to play a Furch deep body OM, and can't find examples of them with cedar/rosewood on youtube, but I like the sitka ones I heard. I really like the sound of the regular CR OM's, though.
Anyone with more experience with these kinds of guitars that have any thoughts?

I'm contemplating ordering another rainbow series when I'm over there next summer working. OM with walnut B/S and cedar top, with the deep body. will be following you to see what your review is if you decide to go with the deep body
Taylor 612CE

Furch 2018LTD (OM)
Furch Rainbow Series Jumbo 12s
Furch Little Jane

McFarland resonator
Old 10-31-2021, 06:44 PM

If you are comfortable (ergonomically) with a deep body - go deep. I've never played a Furch, but on my custom builds with redwood and western red cedar, I've opted for deep bodies and never been disappointed.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I would go with the deep body, only because I like the mellow tone a larger bodied guitar can give. My cedar topped Furch isn't all that mellow as compared to my spruce guitars, but maybe it is mellower than a spruce topped Furch of the same age and size.

I just received my Furch at the end of March of this year so it still has a lot of time yet to open up.
This would be my thoughts, as well. I have a Furch cedar/EIR dread that is more mellow than their spruce model, but far from tubby. If you have the budget, I’d go with their double bevel package, too.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion