The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-09-2021, 01:12 PM

Default Question to all Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum users

I've had a set of lights lying around in box in the closet for years, finally went and put them on my Collings 01 T. Dangerous for the wallet, they sound wonderful after settling in for a day. Given the cost, I'd like to know how long they last ... I've been using Daddarios Nickel Bronze Balanced Tension Lights, and they seem to last forever. Not gigging, just playing and practicing for myself, maybe 3 hrs. a day. Trying to gauge the cost/benefit equation for these.
Old 10-09-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I have not used the Plectrums yet, but have used a few sets of their Spectrums. They were used on my Guild F512 12 string. I too think that they are wonderful sounding strings. The Spectrums did seem to noticeably lose their brightness and shimmer sooner than i had hoped... given their cost. I too.. would like to know how well the Plectrums age.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 10-09-2021, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemartin View Post
I have not used the Plectrums yet, but have used a few sets of their Spectrums. They were used on my Guild F512 12 string. I too think that they are wonderful sounding strings. The Spectrums did seem to noticeably lose their brightness and shimmer sooner than i had hoped... given their cost. I too.. would like to know how well the Plectrums age.

Are the Spectrums phosphor bronze? Also, what is your take on the “silvered steel” unwound strings. I’ve been curious about these Spectrums.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:35 PM

Well it's totally subjective of course but I liked Plectrums straight out of the pack - even better on day 2 but then I felt they lost their new string brightness as well as volume and sustain very quickly.

Others here keep them on for way longer than I ever did.

I thought the next best 'Silk & Steel' string out there were these La Bella.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-09-2021, 03:45 PM

I’m using them on my Gibson J50, the 13-61 set. And I just bought a Breedlove concertina and put on the 11-50 set, which I may switch to the next heavier gauge.

I think what I like about Plectrums is they don’t have that new-string-zing, they have a solid fundamental note. They’re a bit mellow. The strings on my Gibson have been on there for over a month, and are still, for me, a pleasure to play. Strings on the Breedlove are less than a week old.
Basses
Electric guitars
Lap steel
Old 10-09-2021, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

I believe that they are round wound 80/20 bronze (according to their website).. and that is the way they reacted, with a quick dullness after a time, being uncoated 80/20 strings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Are the Spectrums phosphor bronze? Also, what is your take on the “silvered steel” unwound strings. I’ve been curious about these Spectrums.

6 string... Taylor GS7 Custom / GO 818e 1st Edition

12 string... Taylor GO 358e / Guild F512 (79)

Baritone…. Guild 258e (8 string)
Old 10-09-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemartin View Post
I believe that they are round wound 80/20 bronze (according to their website).. and that is the way they reacted, with a quick dullness after a time, being uncoated 80/20 strings.
I happen to really like 80/20s, others "dullness" is my mellowness. They really work on some guitars. No comment on the silvered steel though? I like the bronze flashed golden unwounds from the Plectrum set.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:48 PM

I don't recall what brand or type is was when I was originally getting into guitar 11-12 years ago but there was a set I used with the "bronze flashed" steel strings. I always SWORE they felt better under my fingers and were easier to keep in tune than plain steel ones. Probably just my imagination but I'd love to find some 12's and 16's like that to use now. Plus they look cool or maybe I should say they look warm.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-09-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I don't recall what brand or type is was when I was originally getting into guitar 11-12 years ago but there was a set I used with the "bronze flashed" steel strings. I always SWORE they felt better under my fingers and were easier to keep in tune than plain steel ones. Probably just my imagination but I'd love to find some 12's and 16's like that to use now. Plus they look cool or maybe I should say they look warm.
Martin used to make those

Strings by Mail have them from GHS and Thomastik Infeld. According to SBM's site the GHS are called "bronze plated" and the TIs are "brass plated". I've bought both from them and they both are indeed golden colored. As for how they feel? I don't really notice but I do like the way they look and sound. I mostly buy them because I buy 13s and 17s to make custom sets.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/acoust...r-singles-937/

https://www.stringsbymail.com/acoust...d-singles-843/
Old 10-09-2021, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Plectrums (and Spectrums) have a rather long midlife, and it is a good midlife.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatkin View Post
I've had a set of lights lying around in box in the closet for years, finally went and put them on my Collings 01 T. Dangerous for the wallet, they sound wonderful after settling in for a day. Given the cost, I'd like to know how long they last ... I've been using Daddarios Nickel Bronze Balanced Tension Lights, and they seem to last forever. Not gigging, just playing and practicing for myself, maybe 3 hrs. a day. Trying to gauge the cost/benefit equation for these.
I used the TI Plectrums for a number of years and felt they had a longer life than other strings I was using at the time (Martin SP, Newtone). Very nice and very pricey as you say. For low tension strings I now use Newtone Heritage (easy to buy direct from Newtone) on one guitar and GHS Thin Core on another. I feel they suit the guitars better and while I did not do a careful analysis I feel they offer better value than the Plectrums.

Last edited by colins; 10-10-2021 at 01:50 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 11:33 PM

I use plectrum 12's on my acoustic archtops and I love how they mellow an archtop out. They can get a bit dull after a while but that's not necessarily a bad thing on a 16" vintage archtop tends towards being overly bright. There's not another string that I've tried that will give you the richness of sound and heavy feel at what is effectively 170lbs of tension. Perfect for a 43 gibby without a truss rod. To get the same tension from regular strings you have to put 12-54's on and the difference in string gauge in the mids and on the bottom end is very noticeable when chording.

I keep them on for ages, probably way too long, months and months but they are quite expensive. Especially since nobody where I live sells them and I have to import them.

The only downside to them is that you have a 12/15 on the 1/2 which can feel a little unbalanced compared to a whopping 59 on the 6. I may try swapping the 1/2 for a 13/17 from a regular medium string set to get a better balance.

My only concern is throwing the overall tension spread across the fretboard out of whack but the tension already seems out of whack to me with plectrums, going from low 20's on one side to 30 on the other.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I used the TI Plectrums for a number of years and felt they had a longer life than other strings I was using at the time (Martin SP, Newtone). Very nice and very pricey as you say. For low tension strings I now use Newtone Heritage (buy direct from Newtone) on one guitar and GHS Thin Core on another. I feel they suit the guitars better and while I did not do a careful analysis I feel they offer better value than the Plectrums.
Despite everything I've just said, I'm going to try out some of those newtone heritage 13-55's and do some comparisons! Thanks.

Last edited by nomey; 10-09-2021 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomey View Post
Despite everything I've just said, I'm going to try out some of those newtone heritage 13-55's and do some comparisons! Thanks.
Hope you like them. I'm a big fan of their Masterclass PB and baritone strings too. And their double wound strings are out of this world!
Old 10-10-2021, 05:22 AM

I use them on all my guitars (plectrum and spectrum) and have been using them for a decade or so now, I find longevity about the same with both types of Thomastik strings.

It depends on how many hours your putting in and the instrument/tone you like but as a reference I last changed the strings on my H&D in August 2020 and they still sound good! On my J-45 I changed them yesterday and they were last changed on the 26th of August 2021. My Collings strings were changed two months ago and still sound good although will need to be changed soon. They are wonderful strings. The other strings I think are excellent and of similar quality are Newtone masterclass double wound's. I used these back in the day before I found Thomastik and felt like revisiting an old friend with fresh ears and improved skills. I have just received two sets (12-54) after waiting for them to become available as they are handmade here in the UK and often out of stock. These two makers are in a league of their own in my opinion. DR, John Pearse and GHS also makes me good strings but none compare with the above.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 10-10-2021, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Martin used to make those

Strings by Mail have them from GHS and Thomastik Infeld. According to SBM's site the GHS are called "bronze plated" and the TIs are "brass plated". I've bought both from them and they both are indeed golden colored. As for how they feel? I don't really notice but I do like the way they look and sound. I mostly buy them because I buy 13s and 17s to make custom sets.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/acoust...r-singles-937/

https://www.stringsbymail.com/acoust...d-singles-843/
I clicked the first link and the GHS ones are exactly what I was remembering! Back then I was splitting my time between classical and fingerstyle acoustic guitar and that GHS Laurence Juber signature set was what I used on my steel-string because it worked great in DADGAD. That's the ones has the bronze-plated strings.

And at 99 cents a string the price certainly no impediment. Thanks for the links.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion