The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreDrummer View Post
I don’t see what good that would do. Doesn’t your neck vary in thickness as you move up the neck? I guess a marking would work if you ALWAYS capo at the same fret, but other than that...
Probably right. That's why I hate capos you have to screw to tighten.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Sounds awfully similar to G7's ART technology to me.

As an aside, I find it amusing no-one ever complains about their index finger applying the correct pressure, never causing tuning problems and sounding just fantastic - in exactly the same circumstances that a capo is used.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-18-2020, 06:44 PM

Capo clamping of the strings is similar to finger barre clamping as both pull the strings slightly sharp when exerted. But, obviously, the capo with its fixed pressure, once set, will not vary. The finger barre pressure varies with each successive placement of the same chord shape, same fret, because we aren't machines. I adjust the strings with the capo off to suit tuning with the capo on.

The Shubb, the better style of capo (IMO), makes this easier because there's no thumbscrew to loosen and tighten to install and remove. The over-center lever, once set to the proper tension to hold the strings, won't change because it isn't necessary to touch the thumbscrew on them once set. Removal and installation is all lever action after that. This makes it easier to tune to the capo position.

I don't sweeten the tuning with a capo installed. That habit wears strings and fret wires needlessly. If the capo changes the tuning I adjust capo tension to bring it back, or very close, and then remove the capo to adjust tuning after that if need be. Capo-using discipline, if you will allow the notion, keeps your fret wire and string wear down.

That's why I stick with a Shubb. I have the straight, radiused, classical and half capos by Shubb. The G7th capo I have doesn't get used. I have no idea why I bought it because it's not made to allow simple capo use the way I use one.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
... a few weeks ago I did something dumb. I sold my 12 string guitar without realizing I had left a $150 G7th Heritage engraved capo with the saw tooth pad in the case. It was a gift. I was gutted. The store said that they tried to track it down but had no success.
Very sorry to hear that. And what an excellent opportunity it would've been for the shop &/or the guitar's purchaser to step up and get that beautiful gift capo back to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Check one out if you need a $30 option that fits in a shirt pocket and works well for different instruments.
Just please, please don't get in the habit of keeping your capo (or tuner) in your shirt pocket. When leaning over that nice guitar to take it out of the case... you know the rest.

Will keep an eye out for the Pro Plus.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Sounds awfully similar to G7's ART technology to me.

As an aside, I find it amusing no-one ever complains about their index finger applying the correct pressure, never causing tuning problems and sounding just fantastic - in exactly the same circumstances that a capo is used.
If it was the same as a finger, then Elliot would not need you to specify the fretboard radius when ordering a capo from them. The G7th capo seems to form to the radius - like your finger. Not all capos are like that. When a capo doesn't quite match the radius of your fretboard and doesn't adjust like your finger can, you have to apply more pressure to get all the strings to sound cleanly. I experience that with my Elliot capo on some guitars, not on others. On the guitars that don't quite match the Elliot capo, the center strings sound clean, and the outer strings do not until I apply more pressure. I don't have that problem with the G7th Heritage.

I am repeating myself with these posts, so if this doesn't explain it, I probably don't have the vocabulary to do so adequately.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-18-2020, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I am repeating myself with these posts, so if this doesn't explain it, I probably don't have the vocabulary to do so adequately.
I think we’re actually saying the same thing from two different directions.

My point, perhaps somewhat obscurely alluded to, was that it’s really quite unreasonable to expect any capo to be quite as effective as a finger, given what that finger is capable of doing - in most cases quite unconsciously.

My hat is off to G7th for getting closer to that ideal - that being a capo that can function well in a wide variety of conditions - than anyone else.

Now it sounds like D’Addario has come up with something in the same ballpark.
Cordoba Stage

Old 04-18-2020, 07:55 PM

I have the metal version of this capo - superb and cheap.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

My point, perhaps somewhat obscurely alluded to, was that it’s really quite unreasonable to expect any capo to be quite as effective as a finger, given what that finger is capable of doing - in most cases quite unconsciously.

My hat is off to G7th for getting closer to that ideal - that being a capo that can function well in a wide variety of conditions - than anyone else.

Sorry David. I must have misunderstood your post then. What you are saying, I can definitely agree with. I am certainly interested in the capo in the OP if it does essentially the same thing as the G7th in forming to the fretboard radius. My problem with the Heritage is that I would be concerned about losing it if I were to take it to various playing out situations. Unfortunately, it is the best capo I have ever had, but then it costs more than any other that I have had too.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-18-2020, 09:28 PM

I have several of the old Planet Waves NS models. One I left on the roof of my car when I left the parking lot. Two days later, I found in the parking lot where it had been run over several times. Regardless, it still works fine. Needless to say, it was one of the aluminum ones.
Old 04-19-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Well, that's fair game because then it's someone else's fault.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:07 AM

Although i wouldnt go as far to say all
capos are created equal. I would say most are capable enough. Capos not unlike guitar picks become more of a
subjective discussion than an actual factual measurable thing.
I once forgot mine at a gig and
was able to fashion one from a
spoon handle and rubber bands.
Wouldn't call it great but it worked in
a pinch. The capo industry like picks
is quite Darwinian in that they dont
last long if they dont work well.
The rest is marketing hype.
Old 04-19-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Although i wouldnt go as far to say all
capos are created equal. I would say most are capable enough. Capos not unlike guitar picks become more of a
subjective discussion than an actual factual measurable thing.
I once forgot mine at a gig and
was able to fashion one from a
spoon handle and rubber bands.
Wouldn't call it great but it worked in
a pinch. The capo industry like picks
is quite Darwinian in that they dont
last long if they dont work well.
The rest is marketing hype.

Tony
Old 04-19-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:

Close, not sure how close since the G7th technology is patented. I think the description is leading one to believe they may be similar but actually they aren’t.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 04-19-2020, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Sorry about the lost capo.

I think you'll end up missing the F512 more

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-19-2020, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Close, not sure how close since the G7th technology is patented. I think the description is leading one to believe they may be similar but actually they aren’t.
My impression also.
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion