The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2020, 11:54 AM

Default New Game Changer Capo? D'Addarrio Pro Plus

From their marketing department:

"Thanks to our revolutionary, FlexFit[emoji769] technology, the pad used on the capo arm of the D’Addario Pro Plus Capo mimics the way the anatomy of the human finger functions when fretting a string--so you never have to worry about unwanted buzzing, muted strings, or intonation issues caused by varying capo pressure. With minimal overall pressure every string rings clear, clean, and in tune. The Pro Plus is designed to function perfectly on virtually all guitars, including flat fingerboard classical guitars, all the way to vintage electrics with a 7” fretboard radius. Available in Black and Silver."

I saw this on D'Addario's website. Most of you know I am a capo junkie. I have too many capos already. However, a few weeks ago I did something dumb. I sold my 12 string guitar without realizing I had left a $150 G7th Heritage engraved capo with the saw tooth pad in the case. It was a gift. I was gutted. The store said that they tried to track it down but had no success.

Not wanting to spend the loot during a pandemic on another capo, though I may ask Simon at some point, I figured I would order a replacement capo that could work for 6 and 12 string guitars. I've tried capos that claim to do that before, and most don't work as advertised.

This one does work pretty well on 12 string and 6 string! I can't say if it works as well as the G7th because I no longer have it, or the guitar I used it with. But it works well.

Check one out if you need a $30 option that fits in a shirt pocket and works well for different instruments.

Last edited by martingitdave; 04-18-2020 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:33 PM

I have one of these capos that is plastic.
It works but I don't trust it to hold up for very long.
It came free with a three pack of D'Addario strings.

My order of preference for a 12 string capo is,
1- G7th Newport with compensated pad
2- Shubb 12 string capo
3- Kyser 12 string capo
Old 04-17-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have one of these capos that is plastic.
Hi L20A

The aluminum frame ones are far superior…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-17-2020, 01:41 PM

This is a new model with a flexible pad. It's different than the other D'Addario model that looks the same. I still have the compensated pad G7th Newport somewhere and that's what I was using before the Heritage.
Old 04-18-2020, 02:44 PM

After 24 hours with the new capo I can say it’s really great. It works with every guitar (including the 12 string) I have and doesn’t require and fiddling. My only concern is how well it will hold up over time. But, I guess at $30, I can replace it every few years. I’ll be buying a second one for McPherson to go in the case. It’s not a one handed design, if you’re into that.
Old 04-18-2020, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

It would be interesting to determine the capo that requires the LEAST amount of pressure to get a clean sound for all the strings. In my experience, the G7 Heritage requires the least amount of pressure of the capos I have tried, including my Elliot. I may be interested in trying the new D'Addario someday, but will be surprised if it takes less pressure than a yoke style which puts the pressure point directly under the fretboard rather than hinging off to the side.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-18-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
It would be interesting to determine the capo that requires the LEAST amount of pressure to get a clean sound for all the strings. In my experience, the G7 Heritage requires the least amount of pressure of the capos I have tried, including my Elliot. I may be interested in trying the new D'Addario someday, but will be surprised if it takes less pressure than a yoke style which puts the pressure point directly under the fretboard rather than hinging off to the side.

Tony
Tony, et al, I don't believe that there is such a thing. Surely the effectiveness of any capo depends largely - on factors relating to strings, fret height, action, neck profile, and of course, modes of play.

Capos may indeed vary in the pressure and hardness/flexibility that the rubber bar presses on the strings. and the amount of tension the spring or other mechanism exerts, but, surely that's about it ... or am I missing something?
Old 04-18-2020, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Tony, et al, I don't believe that there is such a thing. Surely the effectiveness of any capo depends largely - on factors relating to strings, fret height, action, neck profile, and of course, modes of play.

Capos may indeed vary in the pressure and hardness/flexibility that the rubber bar presses on the strings. and the amount of tension the spring or other mechanism exerts, but, surely that's about it ... or am I missing something?
I don't like Kayser capos because they seem like a steel clamp to me. With yoke style capos, I very carefully turn the screw until all 6 strings sound cleanly. I have compared my Elliot to the G7th Heritage and found the G7th doesn't have to be turned as tightly. I prefer that because I feel it is easier on the frets and strings.

As for you (Silly Moustache) missing anything, I doubt it. All I can do is pass on my own personal experience. I can tell you that with barre chords, if I don't place my index finger just right, it takes much more pressure to get a clean barre. Why would a capo be any different?

I suspect that the combination of the yoke style, where the pressure comes at the back center of the neck (like your thumb), rather than off to the side like most capos, and the self-adjusting nature of the G7th Heritage so it shapes itself to the radius of the guitar fretboard, all serve to require less pressure. The Elliot is built for a specific radius and does not conform like the Heritage. If it is not matched to the radius of the fretboard, it will require more pressure to get a clean sound from each string. To me, having a capo adjust to the fretboard radius is a huge step forward.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-18-2020, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I like seeing this because I'm still a big fan of the original Planet Waves aluminum ones. I think I paid $12. Simple, fast and works. Then D'Addario bought them out and suddenly the next versions were thinner. Still worked okay but not as 'stable' when seating.

The plastic would worry me. And the price at $30 and plastic would put me off. If they produce an aluminum one (for that price) I might give it a try but I'm STILL using that original PW one!
Old 04-18-2020, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I like seeing this because I'm still a big fan of the original Planet Waves aluminum ones. I think I paid $12. Simple, fast and works. Then D'Addario bought them out and suddenly the next versions were thinner. Still worked okay but not as 'stable' when seating.

The plastic would worry me. And the price at $30 and plastic would put me off. If they produce an aluminum one (for that price) I might give it a try but I'm STILL using that original PW one!
The Planet Waves capo is also one of my favorite next to G7th, and therefore the new one that conforms to the fretboard like the Heritage is of interest to me.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-18-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi L20A

The aluminum frame ones are far superior…

Yes. I am assuming we are talking about the NS (Ned Steinberg designed) capos. I own both the aluminum ones and the Lite version (plastic). BIG difference in quality. I also noticed, on a rather thin-necked Breedlove I own, the Plastic one is unuseable on the first 3 frets (will not clamp down enough). The two look very similar at first blush, but the aluminum one works at all positions (and just plain old feels more solid, but I bought the plastic one mostly for my workbench when checking neck relief, etc.).
Old 04-18-2020, 05:07 PM

Default New Game Changer Capo? D'Addarrio Pro Plus

This new capo uses a pad that is soft. It fells like flesh. It might be some sort of rubber with gel filling. It’s works differently than ANY other capo. Pretty cool idea. Actually, this is what G7th originally used for their heritage line. I have one of the early prototypes. It worked great. But they moved away from it to their current plastic bi-hinged pad design. I think this is going to become a popular product. My only questions is how it will hold up over time.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:10 PM

I see it has screw to tighten. Are there markings so once you know how much to tighten you don't have to guess each time?
Old 04-18-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I don't like Kayser capos because they seem like a steel clamp to me...
Tony
I once owned a Kyser. It was responsible for the sole gouge on the back of my D-35 neck when it slipped out of my grip as I was attempting to put it on. That thing went in the trash immediately.
Old 04-18-2020, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I see it has screw to tighten. Are there markings so once you know how much to tighten you don't have to guess each time?
I don’t see what good that would do. Doesn’t your neck vary in thickness as you move up the neck? I guess a marking would work if you ALWAYS capo at the same fret, but other than that...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion