The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2021, 08:48 AM

I have had a FG800 and a FS830 for about a year and a half. Both have a Tusq saddle and are setup at the nut and saddle to have 6/64 at the low E string and 4/64 at the high E. I play mostly fingerstyle.

While the FG sounds nice and is easy to play, the fit and finish is mediocre. My FS830 is a very special guitar for the price. Fit and finish are very good and it sounds more like a guitar that costs 3X the price. Is not a particularly light instrument but it is sturdy and I anticipate keeping it a long time.
Old 11-03-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_elliotsmith View Post
I might be wrong but I don't think Eastman guitars are common here in Ireland or in Europe. I tried looking them up on Thomann and Gears4Music(UK Vendor) and I couldn't find them.
They are fairly common here in the UK. I got mine from Richard's guitars in Stratford upon Avon with a setup included. Peach guitars also sell them, and many others. Outstanding instruments.
Old 11-03-2021, 09:09 PM

Quote:
That's interesting that you say that because others have put the Yamaha at the top and the Guild second.

Do you not think the Yamaha's are that good? I'd be interested in hearing your reasoning.
Yamaha are excellent, the 800 series are very good and not just for the price, the L line is fantastic, I have a LL16. I thought you said the Yamaha wasn't your favourite when you played it so I didn't want to recommend a guitar you didn't bond with, even if most people like that guitar. You can't go wrong with one of you like the way it plays and sounds.

I guess it comes down to this; so many guitar makers are building exceptional guitars in the entry and intermediate price level these days, it wasn't like this 20 years ago. It's hard to go wrong with options like Yamaha, Seagull, Sigma, Guild, Eastman, Recording King and many others. The trick is to get a good setup done to make it nicer to play, then you're set.
Old 11-04-2021, 01:20 AM

For the record, my American sold version of the Sigma is labeled AMI. Model is in my Sig line. Nut width 1 11/16”

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 11-04-2021, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Apologies if I'm a bit slow but when you say "Sigma has 1 3/4 wide nut" are you referring to the Sigma DT-28H guitar? Why is that nut width a bad thing for you? You like thinner necks?

Also what is Herringbone? When I type it into Google laminate flooring comes up in the results for some reason...
Sorry. I meant that i pick the 1 3/4 wider nut any day over yamaha. I dont have long "Pianohands".

The "H" in modelnumber stands for "herringbone":

What is herringbone Purfling?
Classic Dreadnought soundboard trim. A distinguishing feature of iconic style-28 Martin® guitars. Classic Herringbone trim has become a signature vintage touch for acoustic guitar soundboards.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
Sorry. I meant that i pick the 1 3/4 wider nut any day over yamaha. I dont have long "Pianohands".

The "H" in modelnumber stands for "herringbone":

What is herringbone Purfling?
Classic Dreadnought soundboard trim. A distinguishing feature of iconic style-28 Martin® guitars. Classic Herringbone trim has become a signature vintage touch for acoustic guitar soundboards.
Oh right I always what that was called. I just thought it was called "binding"? Never heard the word purfling before.

Yeah I knew the way to tell the difference between Martin D-18 and D-28's is that the D-28 had that pattern rosette style decoration around the sides of the tops.

Other than these decorative difference is the only differences between the D-18 and D-28 the fact that one uses Rosewood back and sides and the other Mahogany?
Old 11-04-2021, 01:56 PM

Herringbone is a pattern. Nothing to do with guitars specifically. It is Popular for flooring, and, as it happens, my new garage doors.
Google Herringbone pattern and you will get the idea.
Old 11-04-2021, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyn Eden View Post
Herringbone is a pattern. Nothing to do with guitars specifically. It is Popular for flooring, and, as it happens, my new garage doors.
Google Herringbone pattern and you will get the idea.
Okay I understand.

The guy above described "herringbone purfling" as soundboard trim. What's the difference between the white binding that surrounds the outline of a guitar top and "soundboard trim"? Are they interchangeable?
Old 11-07-2021, 07:13 AM

If I were you I would get am Eastman from Kieran Moloney music in Galway. pm if you want some details. blows everything else out of the water imo
Old 11-07-2021, 07:51 AM

I own an FG830 and an FG800 - I actually prefer the tone of the 800 - mine is about 5 years old.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebass View Post
If I were you I would get am Eastman from Kieran Moloney music in Galway. pm if you want some details. blows everything else out of the water imo
Well I wouldn't say that, Have you played some of these other models mentioned? I have and wouldn't take an Eastman of under a grand over some of the other options, not that they're bad at all.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morebass View Post
Is there a particular Eastman model that you would recommend? I'm looking for a D-28 type guitar.

I actually ended up ordering the Sigma DT-28H and I ended up being disappointed with a few aspects of the guitar. I really like the look of the top, back and sides but I dislike the neck as it feels really cheap. The inlays seem quite shoddy(I made a new post about this very thing). The action is really high as well which makes it super uncomfortable to play.
Old 11-13-2021, 07:59 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Is there a particular Eastman model that you would recommend? I'm looking for a D-28 type guitar.

I actually ended up ordering the Sigma DT-28H and I ended up being disappointed with a few aspects of the guitar. I really like the look of the top, back and sides but I dislike the neck as it feels really cheap. The inlays seem quite shoddy(I made a new post about this very thing). The action is really high as well which makes it super uncomfortable to play.
The action can be adjusted and most guitars will need a setup after getting acclimated into their new environment.

The fret markers in your other post look fine to me.

As for the neck feeling "cheap", it's an inexpensive guitar so not sure what your expectations are to be honest.

From the pictures in the other thread, the guitar looks very nice. I'm a sucker for herringbone binding.
Old 11-13-2021, 05:54 PM

My FG 800 gets as much play time as my Martins. Maybe more. Without a second thought I always recommend a FG to anyone starting out.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Email Kieran, he has some nice Dowina guitars in that price range too. Hand made as Eastman.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion