The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
Just as long as it's not my finger. Because there would be a lot of unhappy users based on how I occasionally flub a barre chord.

I'll give it a shot, see how it stacks up to my G7th ART which is currently my favorite capo.
I just did this comparison myself. The sound is brighter with the ART and warmer with the Pro Plus. Noticeably in person.

https://youtu.be/n32MtyfOrSQ
Old 06-18-2021, 05:00 PM

mimics the way the anatomy of the human finger functions when fretting a string--so you never have to worry about unwanted buzzing, muted strings, or intonation issues caused by varying capo pressure. With minimal overall pressure every string rings clear, clean, and in tune.

That isn't the way this human's finger functions . . .
Old 06-18-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I'm excited to give this one a spin. I'll wait for a sale as I have all the capos I need.

I have MORE capos than I need. But I'm going to buy one anyway!

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin
Old 06-19-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I just did this comparison myself. The sound is brighter with the ART and warmer with the Pro Plus. Noticeably in person.

https://youtu.be/n32MtyfOrSQ
I don't know whether to thank you or curse you. Even though I don't understand how guitar sound is equivalently described by terms of light and temperature, I am intrigued enough to have just ordered one of these.

I watched the referenced video (actually listened to it first without watching). What interests me is that the capo seems to perform well and also offers a contrast to a G7th Performance 3 with the Adaptive Radius Technology. I was an early adopter of the P3 and also of the Newport 12 string capo with the compensated pad. As a result of these, all my Shubbs became instantly expendable.

So as a result I am curious enough to want to try this one for myself.

Edit> As I have gotten older, I have been more likely to transpose a song key so that I don't need a capo, but with a few exclusions (exempla gratia, "Here comes the Sun"), I mostly use a capo to play with others, including both live and recorded music.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 06-19-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
I have MORE capos than I need. But I'm going to buy one anyway!
I like this post. I'm too have a few but will try this one too.
Old 06-19-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
I don't know whether to thank you or curse you. Even though I don't understand how guitar sound is equivalently described by terms of light and temperature, I am intrigued enough to have just ordered one of these.

I watched the referenced video (actually listened to it first without watching). What interests me is that the capo seems to perform well and also offers a contrast to a G7th Performance 3 with the Adaptive Radius Technology. I was an early adopter of the P3 and also of the Newport 12 string capo with the compensated pad. As a result of these, all my Shubbs became instantly expendable.

So as a result I am curious enough to want to try this one for myself.

Edit> As I have gotten older, I have been more likely to transpose a song key so that I don't need a capo, but with a few exclusions (exempla gratia, "Here comes the Sun"), I mostly use a capo to play with others, including both live and recorded music.

Don

Lol. Feel free to thank AND curse me. I played a park pop up gig for my city and took an old Hamer Duotone since I’m having arthritis issues in my left hand and I have a full gig tonight. I took the Pro Plus and it worked great.

Last edited by DavidE; 06-19-2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

This post #12 from MartinguitDave would have me concerned about the D'Addario Pro Plus...

This new capo uses a pad that is soft. It fells like flesh. It might be some sort of rubber with gel filling. It’s works differently than ANY other capo. Pretty cool idea. Actually, this is what G7th originally used for their heritage line. I have one of the early prototypes. It worked great. But they moved away from it to their current plastic bi-hinged pad design. I think this is going to become a popular product. My only questions is how it will hold up over time.

There must be a good reason that G7th moved away from this design. I doubt that it was to cut corners in order to increase margins. G7th just doesn't seem to operate like that. So there must be some other reason, especially considering that they seem intent on making quality products.

Tony
Old 11-15-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I have one of these capos that is plastic.

It works but I don't trust it to hold up for very long.

It came free with a three pack of D'Addario strings.

My order of preference for a 12 string capo is,

1- G7th Newport with compensated pad

2- Shubb 12 string capo

3- Kyser 12 string capo

Yours would not be the pro plus.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion