The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-31-2021, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
This would be my thoughts, as well. I have a Furch cedar/EIR dread that is more mellow than their spruce model, but far from tubby. If you have the budget, I’d go with their double bevel package, too.
Agree a bevel is going to be useful with such a deep guitar.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:19 PM

Thank you so much everyone!

Jklotz: I think what you said makes sense, I would absolutely have loved to try out both versions, but I don't think I will get that chance as stores around here never have any other than standard Furch models and even few of them. I'm not someone who will afford a lot of high end guitars in my life, so this and my Eastman will be the ones I think. I also have a low end Taylor grand concert with a spruce top btw.
Feels as though I would need more proof of the DB being better for me to go for that.

s2y: Bevel is too expensive for me, but I think Furch only offer that as an option on their Grand Orchestra models, the same way they only offer short scale as an option on their OM models.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:36 PM

I have a Furch Orange OM with Black Walnut back and sides. It's a standard Om, not deep body. It doesn't lack for bass response, whether fingerpicking, flatpicking or strumming. Furchs are so responsive and articulate and my Om is so well balanced in sound. I would be concerned that a deep body would not be comfortable and that the sound would not be so balanced. I say that as someone whose other main guitar (another Furch) is a jumbo.

I used to have a Yamaha LS16M and this was essentially a deep body OM. I found the small body with the standard depth was not so comfortable.
Old 11-07-2021, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Hi Lynx,

I own an Olson SJ (cedar top/EIR back & sides) and I like the bass and overall warm, mellow tone that this guitar generates. If that is the sound you are looking for, then I would order the deep body OM from Furch.

There are a lot of people here on the AGF who do not like bass in a guitar; they call the tone "muddy." So you are going to get responses from those people suggesting that's what you are going to get: too much bass and a muddy tone.

But if you like the bass and warmth of a cedar/EIR Olson, I think a deep body OM from Furch is going to get you closer.

The video below compares three of my guitars using the same instrumental piece adapted from Carl Miner. These clips are recorded with good quality microphones with no reverb except what is in my studio. The first guitar is a Collings OM1A deep body (Adi top/mahogany back and sides); the second guitar is a Santa Cruz OM/PW with sitka top/EIR B&S, standard OM depth body; and the third guitar is my Olson SJ (cedar/EIR B&S). If you listen with good headphones the difference in sound between these guitars is pretty obvious.

I hope this helps...

- Glenn
Old 11-07-2021, 07:40 PM

So I have personal experience with the Deep Body OM Furch.

I own an Alpine/Coco Grand Auditorium Furch.

A girl in my youth group ended up buying a Red Series Deep Body OM Sitka/Rosewood.

What I will tell you is that the Deep body OM gives you the 9.99/10 the same tonal character of a Grand Auditorium. You get more equal bass response, and really no downsides other than slightly thicker (but GA are not that thick IMHO)

Also remember that Furch radius' the top so it is far more touch-sensitive than others. They also do incredible things with Alpine Spruce which is like Sitka crossed with Cedar to my ears.
Old 11-15-2021, 01:50 AM

Glennwillow: Thank you so much for your input, and yes you really hear the difference between the Olson and the other guitars. I feel most decent cedar topped guitars have that "cedar sound" in common, and then the Olson has something extra special about it. And you're probably right about that preference for bass in a guitar will influence people's answers.

Shadowfox: Thank you so much for replying, sounds nice!

I will have to think about it a little, the guy I talked to at Furch actually didn't recommend that I get the deep body, but then he might have different tastes in guitars than I do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion