The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2021, 11:46 AM

I’m at the point where I WAS considering a 000-28 or -18.

I played a D for the first time in a while and decided that it WASN’T horribly boomy with my technique . . Something something maybe I’m a better player something something.

I also got a chance to play Taylor, Furch, and the higher-end Washburn’s. All great guitars, which naturally send me home looking for another $1,000 to increase my options.

As everyone else says, play LOTS of guitars. And like crisps, you can’t have just one . . .
Old 11-14-2021, 12:38 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsteven View Post
I’m sure most players don’t care about the cost of the material. What’s important for a fretboard is that it serves its purpose resisting surface damage since it’s part of a guitar that get “abused” the most by our fingernails. There are reasons fretboard is made out of harder woods (ebonies, rosewoods). In this case, Ceylon ebony has less desirable characteristics (lower hardness than even EIR) to serve its purpose well RELATIVE to ebony other manufacturers use. If you do care about the material cost, I’m afraid I can’t give you the answer because I’m not buying or selling woods for a living. All I know we can’t afford to pick and choose jet black Gaboon ebony anymore while most Ceylon ebony on the market still has that jet black appearance. That could indicate the amount of supply of these woods and therefore the material cost difference.

I’m comparing only high end offerings from Furch, Martin, Taylor because that is what the OP specified. The title of this thread alone should give you that idea. I should probably add for $3000 usually you get “select hardwood” neck from Martin. Aside from that, Martin uses Gaboon ebony while Taylor still give you Honduran mahogany/Gaboon ebony combo at that price. There are reasons too why these combo have been around longer than most of us have lived. If you want to talk about lower priced models and their cost cutting measures, last time I checked you can start a new thread rather easily.

If you think I’m brand bashing I will give you the benefit of the doubt maybe you didn’t read the whole thing, I’m quite sure others know I’m just sharing information that I found so we can learn from each other. That is the purpose why this forum exists, isn’t it? I understand it doesn’t feel good if someone points out a less desirable thing about our beloved guitar. Most of us experience that at some point. But I think it’s important we’re being objective especially if we want to help and share unbiased information to those who are new into acoustic guitars.
Imagine a sister calling her brother....

Quote:
Btw I saw your girlfriend kissing another guy, but thats not why I called....
That's exactly why she called.

If you share "negative " info about one particular brand it's bashing, no matter how you gift wrap it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-14-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Btw I saw your girlfriend kissing another guy, but thats not why I called.... I called because Mom is in hospital! MOM IS IN HOSPITAL!!!
I am not her so I can’t judge her so quickly. It is up to you how fast you want to arrive at a conclusion. Others will see it and judge you and I themselves and think whether we’re biased/judgmental or not.

I am sorry if I ruffle your feathers and other Furch owners’, I sincerely do. But fact is a fact, and I just want to offer what I know to OP and others. So when they decide to get guitar A or guitar B they have a clearer picture of what they spend their hard-earned cash for.

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)
Old 11-14-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
If you share "negative " info about one particular brand it's bashing, no matter how you gift wrap it.
and that is your opinion on the definition of brand bashing. I respect that. However I don’t share that opinion. If it’s called bashing then >90% people on this forum is guilty of that. Look at the first few threads on top of this forum, you’ll see numerous people share negative info about a product. That’s just the nature of things, there are positive, negative, neutral info. I personally think it’s okay because we learn new things from someone sharing what they don’t like or don’t agree with what companies do. Imagine if all of us can’t share what we don’t like on this forum. The recent capo review thread that I enjoyed reading wouldn’t exist and we miss out on that. If I dig your old posts, you prob did “share negative info about one particular brand” too at some point.

I’m gonna stop this discussion from going on and on because it’s irrelevant to the thread and I don’t want to aggravate the situation when one already got his butt’s hurt just because I share info that he doesn’t want to hear.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:22 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
I’m gonna stop this discussion from going on and on because it’s irrelevant to the thread and I don’t want to aggravate the situation when one already got his butt’s hurt just because I share info that he doesn’t want to hear.
In context its brand bashing. Plus a personal attack because someone disagreed with you.

Its all in the presentation. If someone says I don’t like Martins because they use Richlite in a lot of their guitars and its cheap, thats bashing. If you say I prefer ebony over Richlite, its not bashing.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-14-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Plus a personal attack because someone disagreed with you.
Quote:
Didn’t address it to anyone in particular though… Anyway good to know

Last edited by stillsteven; 11-14-2021 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:32 PM

Well I actually pulled the trigger on a Furch Orange Grand Auditorium, Rosewood body and Spruce top. I found a good deal I think was worth the upgrade from Yellow, and the Spruce will help with my strumming. Thanks for all the help!

Cheers
Old 11-14-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven of Dolphin View Post
Well I actually pulled the trigger on a Furch Orange Grand Auditorium, Rosewood body and Spruce top. I found a good deal I think was worth the upgrade from Yellow, and the Spruce will help with my strumming. Thanks for all the help!

Cheers
Neat! I hope you’ll take the time to report back here once you have it hand.

Old 11-14-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven of Dolphin View Post

Cheers
Congrats on your new guitar! Good deal always makes it taste sweeter.

Old 11-14-2021, 05:50 PM

Default Beware the D-16GT

Quote:
No, the Furch cedar doesn't bring it closer to the tone of a Martin. A cedar top Furch is probably a little mellower than a spruce topped Furch (I have a cedar Yellow), but its not near the tone of a Martin (I have D-16GT). A Furch is closer to the tone of Taylor.

Get the D-28. You can circle back to the Taylor/Furch guitar later on.

Welcome to the forum too!
I must warn you away from purchasing a Martin D-16GT like I did, you might wind up with a guitar that sounds so far above its price grade that you pass on some great deals. Ex: I tried a 25 yr old D-18 in fine condition a couple years ago, CL price $1250 meaning $1200. As usual, I brought the D-16GT to calibrate my ears but it wound up sounding as good as this most excellent vintage D-18. In my mind I went "Hmm, got a D-16 I paid $600 for that sounds (and plays!) just as good, why go $1200 for a D-18?" To which the answer is: BECAUSE. It was a dang D-18, and a very desirable one at that and..."

But I survived. And the D-16GT is still here and sounding as great as ever.

This relates to your question...how? Oh yeah - I agree with others, play 'em all, play 'em often. Take your time. Strike a deal that is good enough so that if you change your mind later you can flip/trade whatever you get with minimal or no loss. But - good goal!

Also (also hopelessly unrelated): a while after I got the D-16 I bought a D-16RGT (solid rosewood B&S) for an equally crazy good price, which is a good thing because it was an unredeemable POS. No heart to the sound, no real joy, but the kicker was the impossible action - Nazareth let this mistake guitar go out knowing full well it would need a $450 neck reset (bound neck) before being playable. I managed to flip it with no loss to a guy who I knew could afford to make it useful, judging from the fact that his pickup seemed to cost more than my house. Ya never know. Roll with the punches...
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 11-14-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I would go try a HD-28 and never look back.
Id say either a HD-28 , or a Martin OM28v ( used )
or a reimagined OM28
Old 11-14-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Neat! I hope you’ll take the time to report back here once you have it hand.

Of course! Stay tuned

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion