The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2021, 12:46 PM

Default Going to have triplets (Yamaha L series content)

When I began playing back in 2010, I was fortunate to score a LLX6A with ART pickups. It's been good to me. It was dropped (not by me) and well-repaired. I've been through 3 cases with it and just added some Gotoh 510 tuners. It's still going strong and is my #1 stage guitar. This past May, while my wife was in Covid19 quarantine, I acquired a 2010ish LLX16 that is the all solid wood companion to the LLX6A with a little bit different preamp but the same (4) ART pickups. It's gotten the bone nut/saddle treatment and ebony bridge pins. Today, I ordered a 2008 ART-equipped LLX26 which is the MIJ by a single luthier all solid wood model. Pic shown is from the seller. Not sure if I'll ever get the LLX36 and round out the whole set, but this is my "lifetime" guitar. I am thankful my wife "let" me buy it. Can't wait to get it and play it.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I am thankful my wife "let" me buy it.
Big W haha any tips for the rest of us? Congrats on your LLX26 be sure to update us when you get your hands on it.

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)
Old 11-13-2021, 01:31 PM

Fantastic! A LLX26 is going to be a wonderful guitar. Looking forward to your review.

Have you ever played one before? I never have but if I ever get a chance to play one I will.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:42 PM

The Yamaha L series guitars are fabulous IMO. I have the LS 16 rosewood model and I can't sing its praises too much. Impeccable materials, workmanship and tone. I'm looking down the road to add a higher end LL 56 model. I'll probably sell one of my J45's and one of my Martin dreads to help fund it.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 11-13-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Fantastic! A LLX26 is going to be a wonderful guitar. Looking forward to your review.

Have you ever played one before? I never have but if I ever get a chance to play one I will.
Never played one better than a 16. I owned an LL16M ARE, as well as an LS16 R. Both were great, but the Zero Impact pickups aren't up to my stringent plugged in standards (without additional gizmos, i.e. AG-Stomp or a THR amp, or a Tonedexter) I've driven to several other states to see 26s and 36s that were supposed to be at certain music stores and were long gone. I saw a 56 on the wall at Sweetwater, but didn't play one while I was there. When I went there, it was to get a Takamine P5DC specifically and that was a long drawn out ordeal in and of itself.
Old 11-13-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsteven View Post
Big W haha any tips for the rest of us? Congrats on your LLX26 be sure to update us when you get your hands on it.
She just got a new gaming laptop [early] for Christmas. Lol. Tit for tat, I guess.
Old 11-13-2021, 09:17 PM

Congrats on the 26 series.. Superbly crafted and beautiful sounding instruments.

Fwiw, the 26 series and up are crafted in the Yamaha custom shop in Hamamatsu Japan. But only the 56 series and the 86 series are hand crafted by the master luthier himself. The 26 and 36 series are crafted by his small band of apprentices under his supervision. The 86 series is not available for export but the 56 series is.

Kraft music recently got in a beautiful LL36 that's still in stock.

https://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-ll...n-ihn031a.html

If you want to learn about the 56 series a bit more, JP Cormier was fortunate enough to get a 26, 36, and 56 series in to review. He has separate reviews for each model. The LL56 is a dream instrument and here is the link to his review..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ZFZ8n2WoI

He plays a beautiful version of Joni Mitchell's "Both sides now" at about 21 minutes into the video. It's one of the most beautiful sounding guitars that I've ever heard.

Enjoy.
Old 11-13-2021, 11:37 PM

Default nice git!!!

Well done on your yammy gang! I have a huge soft spot for the L series as well. I was lucky enough to have had an L20A quite a while back, definitely my most S-W-C-kept-it guitar.
I've got a great LL16ARE, that can dance with any rosewood dred out there, and just got it an A3R for a friend. The A3R is right up there as well in the tone department, and the pickup system in that thing continues to blow my doors off.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Never played one better than a 16. I owned an LL16M ARE, as well as an LS16 R. Both were great, but the Zero Impact pickups aren't up to my stringent plugged in standards (without additional gizmos, i.e. AG-Stomp or a THR amp, or a Tonedexter) I've driven to several other states to see 26s and 36s that were supposed to be at certain music stores and were long gone. I saw a 56 on the wall at Sweetwater, but didn't play one while I was there. When I went there, it was to get a Takamine P5DC specifically and that was a long drawn out ordeal in and of itself.
It's exciting! I'll be looking forward to your review. I just bought a new LL16 ARE and I'm very impressed with it. I didn't realize it had a pickup until I got home and reacquainted myself with the specs. I haven't plugged it in yet though.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
. I'm looking down the road to add a higher end LL 56 model.
As an LL56 owner, I'm confident you'll be glad when this happens! Good luck with your quest . . .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion