The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-05-2024, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Default A funny old morning in this hobby (fingerpicks related)

Well, here’s what happened over my morning coffee. As I often do I pulled out a guitar and was playing some travis picking patters. I had a sudden thought, out of the blue actually, which was, I bet I could actually do ok with some fingerpicks.

Now, by way of brief background, I’ve tried picks before. A lot, and many of them. I’ve given them a fair old try, I think. The last time probably a year ago. They *never* worked out for me. I simply could not get any feel or touch with them. I persisted, because the thumb pick was the same for me, and that worked out pretty well ultimately.

So my instinct was to try one fingerpick, on my pointer, and I put a Fred Kelly Delrin Freedom Finger on.

To my surprise - or not, actually, given my sudden unfounded conviction that I could play with picks now - it worked out pretty good.

I put one on my index, and then ring finger.

Still good. I try and few more things, and I figure, I could really get used to these.

Only thing, they don’t actually seem to add much volume to my playing, which is my primary reason to be trying out finger picks at all. I guess that this should improve with more practice.

I’m still pretty surprised if not amazed that my brain intuited that I could all of a sudden play with finger picks, which I’ve never managed to do before.

Pony man by Gordon Lightfoot if you’re asking
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 05-05-2024, 05:41 AM

I try them every couple of years or so, determined to work on it until I can use them. But, my determination fades after about 5 minutes. I just get so frustrated!

Alvarez Yairi FYM66HD
Martin HD-35
Larrivee 000-40
Taylor BTO GA, All Hog, 12 Fret, Short Scale
Old 05-05-2024, 06:38 AM

I give them a half-hearted try every now and then, but I can never get them sorted out, so I stop. Plus, I have more than enough fun without ‘em, so there’s no need for me personally to work on it.
Old 05-05-2024, 07:54 AM

I use my fingernails for picks.

Only need about 1/16" of nail for index, middle, and ring, plus a wee bit more for the thumb.

Dislike any flat or finger picks. A lot.

Be well and pick well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 05-05-2024, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I was messing around with finger picks and now I have a bit of a collection which sit unused. I couldn't get them to quiet down for recording classical guitar. Maybe for my steel strings they would be good, but I haven't played them much in months and haven't recorded with a steel string in about a year. I do like the Fred Kelly picks, along with the Kalena and Alaska picks

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-05-2024, 08:34 AM

My fingerstyle technique comes from classical training, so I use my nails. I also play lap style resonator. I can use my nails for that, and it's fine, but to get that classic reso tone I found that metal finger picks were a must. I don't play my resonator all that often, so it always takes a bit to get used to them again.

I have no reason or desire to try them on guitar, but I guess I could get used to them if need be.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj the Smiler View Post
I try them every couple of years or so, determined to work on it until I can use them. But, my determination fades after about 5 minutes. I just get so frustrated!
I've got the same but opposite problem. Every so often, I decide I will discipline myself to play without picks, but very shortly, I give up, put the picks back on and away I go!

"It could have been worse"
--Roy Book Binder
Old 05-05-2024, 09:31 AM

I have yet to have my brain tell me it is OK. I am glad it happened for you this morning.

Just in Dublin a week ago, a lovely city for sure.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Smile Nice!

I have been using the Fred Kelly freedom fingerpicks on my index for a long time now. I just use one, as it leaves my other fingers free to mess with harmonicas and such.

I also use a Dunlop heavy thumb pic.

These work great for me!

Interesting that the freedom finger pic covers your nail, which is why I started using it. I was wearing through my nails. It does leave a tiny amount of flesh exposed on your pad of your finger for whacking harmonics and such…

Glad it’s working for you, too

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 05-05-2024, 09:47 AM

I have a hard time playing wthout/ getting used to noise on all the strings ( but especially wound strings). I don’t pick clean with fingerpicks on. I don’t have that problem or the ability for greater volume with fingers. Although the neighbor’s dog bit my thumb last night and I might be mostly a flat picker until that heals up.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Update:

Ok my new levels of dexterity continue to amaze me.

However, I am noticing a lack of bass in my picking. Probably need to work on pushing my thumb pick harder, now that the fingers are suited up for bear

I’m still preferring the expression I get from my flesh/nail picking on my 6 strings but the fingerpicks could be a game changer for use with my 12 string.
Lowden S32J
Old 05-05-2024, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I give them a half-hearted try every now and then, but I can never get them sorted out, so I stop. Plus, I have more than enough fun without ‘em, so there’s no need for me personally to work on it.
Me too - I hate crawling under furniture, too.

D.H.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

You might not believe me but I can hybrid pick now too, which I never could before.
Lowden S32J
Old 05-06-2024, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

The postal person dropped off 3 ProPik F-tones this morning that I had ordered a couple of weeks ago and that's typical of items coming here (CDN) from the US. One thumbpick and two finger picks. They came from the Deering Banjo Company in Spring Valley, Ca. who holds the patent on ProPiks. It took a few minutes to shape the bands to fit my fingers but they felt more comfortable than your run-of-the-mill metal pick.

A bit clumsy at first but I've always been a fingernail guy so it always takes a bit to get used to F/P's. They really are loud compared to my nails and my thought was this will break in any guitar faster than any gizmo you can attach. They weren't cheap but I'm seldom burdened with buyers remorse and this is no exception.
Old 05-06-2024, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I decided early on it was gonna be fingers only and started to grow my nails. Until I caught one on the edge of a throttle spring while working on a car. The next day I bought two brass finger picks, a plastic thumb pick and never looked back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion