The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-23-2023, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Why are you against something so important for those with learning plus other disabilities, the homeless, and working poor? The phones are even more important in countries with poor infrastructure.

At 7 years old you need to be mindful of security updates. Especially so with some Android phones.
I raised my "on the spectrum" LD, first daughter by myself, with considerable sacrifice to my profession. Now, she operates and understands tech far better than I do, with my physicians education. Perhaps I am old fashioned. By scourge, I meant, I rarely see my kid's generation reading anything. Except their phones. When I go to a restaurant, I see complete families scrolling but not engaging. Then there is my contention that the phones cause attention deficit, global plagiarism and lack of creativity. Why go to a physician when Dr. Google is ready and waiting w/ no co-pay. Perhaps keeping such a powerful instrument next to your brain for decades causes brain damage or altered function. I bought my first Apple computer in 1985 for $5K. Changed my professional life!
Old 12-23-2023, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

A Gilhoolie. It opens tight lid jars w/o hurting my fingers. Even better than hot water. They come in different shapes. Gotta save my figers for guitar playing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-12-23 at 6.57.50 PM.jpg (43.5 KB, 249 views)
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-24-2023, 07:42 AM

American made SOG multi-tool. This has saved me countless hours chasing tools to make quick fixes, not to mention emergency stuff when other tools weren't available. My late Dad actually bought it and I've worn through 2 and have a new Leatherman Arc under the tree because the SOG stuff is now made in China.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 12-24-2023, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

This device has been used for many purposes.
I've owned many variation over the past 55 years.
Handy in. many different situations...

Old 12-24-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
I raised my "on the spectrum" LD, first daughter by myself, with considerable sacrifice to my profession. Now, she operates and understands tech far better than I do, with my physicians education. Perhaps I am old fashioned. By scourge, I meant, I rarely see my kid's generation reading anything. Except their phones. When I go to a restaurant, I see complete families scrolling but not engaging. Then there is my contention that the phones cause attention deficit, global plagiarism and lack of creativity. Why go to a physician when Dr. Google is ready and waiting w/ no co-pay. Perhaps keeping such a powerful instrument next to your brain for decades causes brain damage or altered function. I bought my first Apple computer in 1985 for $5K. Changed my professional life!
Even living between two places that typify what is doing well and what isn't in my country I don't see the gadgets and tools the phones happen to be as negative for everyone. Personal responsibility should rule.

I'm sorry that kids are not reading where you are. They sure do in the two places where we live even though content varies a lot. Much is electronic now but the libraries remain popular in both places.

I'm also not so quick to judge because my phone is a primary work tool, and same for our 3 kids on a STEM, engineering and pre-med path. Maybe someone you saw in a restaurant was just like our son who had time to join us before his recent anatomy exam and using the phone to study?
Old 12-31-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
THIS is the BEST invention EVER!!! That jar lid too tight, can't get it open? Pffft! Not anymore! Designed to fit any size jar, bottle cap, milk bottle, ANYTHING! With this it's a cinch to open anything! Gadget of the century! Only 15 bucks at Amazon. Not affiliated!

I've had one for decades. Absolutely the best. Though I haven't a clue what the flip side is used for.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:26 AM

I was given an Air Fryer as a gift. I thought it wouldn't be used. Not the case, we use it many days a week.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:27 AM

If you do your own (or family, friends, etc..) brakes, this is a much appreciated gadget. Wish I had bought one decades a go as it makes quick work of caliper relief.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 01-03-2024, 10:08 AM

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 01-03-2024, 10:41 AM

This .... Bought it April 1st.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:09 PM

The Snapz bridge pin puller was a cool gadget that I still use a lot.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:04 PM

Portable tire inflator. No more quarters, bad tire pressure gauges and racing around my car before the timer runs out.
1972 Gibson SJ Deluxe
2019 Gibson J-45 Standard
2022 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird Fixed Bridge

…don’t even get me started on electrics - too many to list.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:36 PM

Actually, one of the best gadgets I ever bought is one of these jump starters -

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 01-04-2024, 12:18 PM

My Rolex DateJust 40 years ago.
Still wearing it.
Old 01-04-2024, 12:47 PM

Comb binding machine. I take music books that won't stay flat, take the pages out of the binding and replace it with a comb binder. Ideally, I'd use my table saw, but it's in storage at the moment, so it's a little more work but the pages usually come out pretty easily. Mine is similar to this one, but not identical, was less than $10 at Goodwill. So far I've converted about 10 books, plus bound some downloaded music.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic