The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2024, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Default New member with intro requiring some wisdom

Hey all from the UK, 43 year old, that got his first guitar aged 14 but never really got beyond wonderwall, until I was gifted a guitar a couple of years ago and despite a complete lack of natural rhythm or sense of pitch am really enjoying the journey.

No interest in playing publicly but having a go at writing my own stuff which I find cathartic after some tough times.

I’m very slowly getting better I think but still fairly basic - open chords, barre chords some picking but mainly chord notes form progression. Learning theory using the “no bull” books and discovering more and more of fret board. Practice is usually mix of working on my stuff and learning songs I like.

Moving forward I’m working through Justin guitar courses from beginning to make sure I spot bad habits I’ve picked up and am not missing foundational skills or knowledge. I’m also intending to get audio interface so I can record and hear back and also use daw to play beats as I’m playing to work on that rhythm.

Two guitars I have are great - Yamaha FS-TA and Ibanez ac240 both concert sized. One hog and one spruce top. Like em both and don’t think I notice that much between scale lengths or nut width to be honest. Maybe I will when I get better.

I do however miss the boom of larger guitar when strumming, so considering a few options. I’m wondering basically how much to spend and with that comes figuring out how much I’m likely to notice between all solid and just solid top and whether I should go dread or jumbo to compliembt what I have

options on the lower end of budget are: fg830, epiphone masterbilt Texan, lj6, IBG j200, Eastman E1SS

Higher end: Yamaha fg3, lj16, Gibson g45, Eastman e10ss, used USA made Texan.

Now I will definitely try before I buy, but I’d like to slim down my list and make sure I’m focussing on the right thing, so figure it would be wise to ask folk who have trodden this path already for their advice!

Thanks and advice and tips welcome!

Last edited by Justpounds; 04-03-2024 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Typos and clarification
Old 04-03-2024, 02:26 PM

Welcome to the forum! You'll get all kinds of advice, mostly in the form of "yes of course you need another guitar."

My advice is spend time learning and playing and exploring other guitars at friend's places, music stores, festivals, jams, etc.

Sounds like you're availing yourself of good resources. I'm going to suggest one more - start playing with other people as soon as you can find a jam/song circle/ session.

IMO most AGF'ers are lone wolves, learning and playing guitar in isolation. I've run into so many players of all kinds of instruments who tell me and themselves "as soon as I'm good enough I want to start playing with other people."

The thing is, we never think we're good enough. If you wait until you think you're ready, you'll never do it. Regularly playing music with others is the single best way to improve on all aspects of playing and singing.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-03-2024, 02:51 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-03-2024, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Welcome to the forum! You'll get all kinds of advice, mostly in the form of "yes of course you need another guitar."

My advice is spend time learning and playing and exploring other guitars at friend's places, music stores, festivals, jams, etc.

Sounds like you're availing yourself of good resources. I'm going to suggest one more - start playing with other people as soon as you can find a jam/song circle/ session.

IMO most AGF'ers are lone wolves, learning and playing guitar in isolation. I've run into so many players of all kinds of instruments who tell me and themselves "as soon as I'm good enough I want to start playing with other people."

The thing is, we never think we're good enough. If you wait until you think you're ready, you'll never do it. Regularly playing music with others is the single best way to improve on all aspects of playing and singing.
Blimey I’d have to find some forgiving people! Thanks for the welcome and maybe I’ll have a look what’s around me. Cheers!
Old 04-03-2024, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
... I'm going to suggest one more - start playing with other people as soon as you can find a jam/song circle/ session. ...
Want to highlight this comment. Not only will this help you become a better player, but it's a good barometer for how much you've progressed. (To quote my inner demon, "wow, I don't totally suck!")

As far as your question about which guitar to add, expect responses from this group to expand your "list" instead of slimming it down ;-)

Curious why you're looking at the slope-shoulder Eastmans and not (also) the square-shoulder models (such as E1D or E6D)? And admittedly, I'm a Seagull fan, so have that on your radar next time you visit your local guitar shop.

Good luck. And you won't lack getting support from this group.

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 04-03-2024, 03:37 PM

Default New member with intro requiring some wisdom

Welcome to the Forum - I'm certain you'll learn everything you ever wanted to know about guitars by checking in regularly...

Wisdom - that's debatable...
Old 04-03-2024, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaveez View Post
Want to highlight this comment. Not only will this help you become a better player, but it's a good barometer for how much you've progressed. (To quote my inner demon, "wow, I don't totally suck!")

As far as your question about which guitar to add, expect responses from this group to expand your "list" instead of slimming it down ;-)

Curious why you're looking at the slope-shoulder Eastmans and not (also) the square-shoulder models (such as E1D or E6D)? And admittedly, I'm a Seagull fan, so have that on your radar next time you visit your local guitar shop.

Good luck. And you won't lack getting support from this group.
Looks like I need to get some courage! With regards why the slopes I think just because I went down the j45 rabbit hole, no objection to square-shoulder ones.think I though they might be easier to handle. Seagull on the list!
Old 04-03-2024, 04:05 PM

Welcome! I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't worry about buying another guitar yet. In six months or a year, your abilities and your ears will have developed enough to perhaps be more discriminating about what tone you like and how much you're willing to spend to get it.

In the meantime, your Yamaha and Ibanez will be more than adequate instruments on which to hone and expand your skills. I'd consider making a new guitar a reward for sticking with it for a certain period of time. Enjoy the ride!
Old 04-03-2024, 04:26 PM

Welcome to the Forum.
Your journey will be filled with highs and lows.
The highs will win out though as long as you keep going.

As far as getting a larger guitars goes, may I suggest that you look at a used Yamaha FG-830.
It will give you what you are looking for at a great price. Even better if you get a case with it.

In a year or so, as you continue to improve, play other guitars at the shops around you to see what your ear likes.
When you do decide on a more expensive guitar, you will get almost everything out of the Yamaha that you put into it.

Enjoy your musical journey.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpounds View Post
Hey all from the UK, 43 year old, that got his first guitar aged 14 but never really got beyond wonderwall, until I was gifted a guitar a couple of years ago and despite a complete lack of natural rhythm or sense of pitch am really enjoying the journey.
Welcome, Justpounds! I'm like you: no innate ability but lots of motivation. I just love playing the dang things! Been playing a long time.

Quote:
No interest in playing publicly but having a go at writing my own stuff which I find cathartic after some tough times.
Legitimate. For many, songwriting is excellent therapy.

Quote:
I’m very slowly getting better I think but still fairly basic - open chords, barre chords some picking but mainly chord notes form progression. Learning theory using the “no bull” books and discovering more and more of fret board. Practice is usually mix of working on my stuff and learning songs I like.
That's a satisfying mix — just what I do.

Quote:
Moving forward I’m working through Justin guitar courses from beginning to make sure I spot bad habits I’ve picked up and am not missing foundational skills or knowledge. I’m also intending to get audio interface so I can record and hear back and also use daw to play beats as I’m playing to work on that rhythm.

Two guitars I have are great - Yamaha FS-TA and Ibanez ac240 both concert sized. One hog and one spruce top. Like em both and don’t think I notice that much between scale lengths or nut width to be honest. Maybe I will when I get better.
Actually, not necessarily. A lot of players get hemmed in by a particular nut width or neck contour or scale length or tone wood, but I don't think that's useful or healthy. It's better to be able to be comfortable with a wide variety of configurations.

But I do agree that you'll get a bigger sound from a bigger guitar.

Quote:
I do however miss the boom of larger guitar when strumming, so considering a few options. I’m wondering basically how much to spend
As much as it takes! The guitar you love is the guitar you'll play.

Quote:
and with that comes figuring out how much I’m likely to notice between all solid and just solid top and whether I should go dread or jumbo to compliment what I have

options on the lower end of budget are: fg830, epiphone masterbilt Texan, lj6, IBG j200, Eastman E1SS

Higher end: Yamaha fg3, lj16, Gibson g45, Eastman e10ss, used USA made Texan.
Simple: Get the one you love.

Quote:
Now I will definitely try before I buy, but I’d like to slim down my list and make sure I’m focussing on the right thing, so figure it would be wise to ask folk who have trodden this path already for their advice!
We all have different approaches. In the US we have a saying: You make the road by walking. I don't generally look for a particular make or model, though I must say, my two flattops are Guilds, and I got the second one because I like the first one so much.

Quote:
Thanks and advice and tips welcome!
You're welcome. Let us know what you decide and how it works out for you. Operators are standing by!
Old 04-03-2024, 05:53 PM

I tried a Martin D-X2E in a Guitar Center last year and was impressed. Does the budget go that far?

Guild D-140 and Seagull S6 are also great fun to play.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum JustPounds!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-03-2024, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

The J200 is a lot larger than concert sizes-
It might blow your mind, or be too large and maybe deter you from playing other large guitars- So if you play one of those, also play a few dreads as comparison.
My suggestion towards the J200 is because it’s very different from what you have. Having a choice to play either of those extremes is fun.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Welcome to the Forum.
Your journey will be filled with highs and lows.
The highs will win out though as long as you keep going.

As far as getting a larger guitars goes, may I suggest that you look at a used Yamaha FG-830.
It will give you what you are looking for at a great price. Even better if you get a case with it.

In a year or so, as you continue to improve, play other guitars at the shops around you to see what your ear likes.
When you do decide on a more expensive guitar, you will get almost everything out of the Yamaha that you put into it.

Enjoy your musical journey.
This makes sense but I wonder if I will be bored by it being so similar to my fs. And for just a bit more the ls6 has GOLD tuners 😃
Old 04-04-2024, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Christo View Post
Welcome! I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't worry about buying another guitar yet. In six months or a year, your abilities and your ears will have developed enough to perhaps be more discriminating about what tone you like and how much you're willing to spend to get it.

In the meantime, your Yamaha and Ibanez will be more than adequate instruments on which to hone and expand your skills. I'd consider making a new guitar a reward for sticking with it for a certain period of time. Enjoy the ride!
I know this makes sense but my ears are already missing the boom of night guitar. I had a sire GA but it has twisted neck so have it to local charity as was fine for cowboy open chords

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion