The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2017, 01:27 PM

Default Hybrid Light/Medium Strings on a dreadnought Yamaha LL16 A.R.E.

I have a Yamaha LL16 A.R.E. It comes with light gauge (.012, .016, .024, .032, .042, .053) I believe. Its a dreadnaught shape. I think if I lower the action and put on these Martin SP 4150 Light/Medium gauge strings, then the playability will be about the same while the tone will be better. Pretty sure it can handle it as its a dreadnaught body.

Anyone play a 50/50 ratio of strumming and fingerpicking, did this and think the results were great?
Any other string suggestions besides Martin 4150 SP Light/Mediums? The Martin SP are (.0125, .0165, .0255, .0335, .0435, .055) so its pretty much mid-way in gauge across all the strings, which is what I believe I'm looking for.
If you did, did you have to widen the nut slots to take the 4150 light/mediums?

Also, I don't know why more people don't use hybrid gauge light/mediums? Are most players mainly either strummers or fingerpickers? I always found mediums to be more than strong enough for good tone, and always found lights a bit lacking in tone and feel a bit "loose" when plucking. But all I hear about are either folks who prefer lights or mediums but never mention light/medium hybrid gauge? Is it because folks that post online are serious players, and have several guitars and use mediums on their strumming guitars and lights on their fingerpicking guitars?

Last edited by johnhurt888; 09-28-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:16 PM

It's great that you've found a set that works for you. I've tried all that stuff and it comes down to what works for you and your guitar.

You're probably experiencing more bass projection, and if that's what you're guitar needs to make it sound better in balance, then that's what you should use. Some guitars required the opposite, 53's on the top and 13's on the bottom. If a guitar is too bright the 13 on the high string will tamp down some runaway harmonics.

Both D'Addario and Elixir (and I'm sure others) make any combination of gauges. You might like the D'Addario Nickel Bronze in a similar gauge. The NB's make the bass nice and tight, but with good projection. I've heard some guitars that sound really good with those strings.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-28-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
It's great that you've found a set that works for you. I've tried all that stuff and it comes down to what works for you and your guitar.

You're probably experiencing more bass projection, and if that's what you're guitar needs to make it sound better in balance, then that's what you should use. Some guitars required the opposite, 53's on the top and 13's on the bottom. If a guitar is too bright the 13 on the high string will tamp down some runaway harmonics.
That would be my Pono all day long
and a video for johnhurt888 as well:

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion