The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2022, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I have a Lowden F 35 with Rosewood back and sides and a Lutz top.
I'd say the tone reminds me of Adirondack, shimmer with a round full sound. Not sure if it's the build or the top. Lots of headroom and dynamics. I'm very happy with it.
An example

https://youtu.be/0tLhWDhA4Uo
Old 02-25-2022, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
Do you know the density/specific gravity?
I haven't got a clue! All I've got to compare this with is set of Engelmann but I need to saw this white spruce up first to compare.
Old 02-26-2022, 11:05 AM

It's easy enough to find the density; just weight/volume. It's actually easier to do before you saw it into thin pieces, since you can usually get a more exact reading on the thickness. Some people will give this in grams/cubic inch, but consistent units are nice...
Old 02-26-2022, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Carruth View Post
It's easy enough to find the density; just weight/volume. It's actually easier to do before you saw it into thin pieces, since you can usually get a more exact reading on the thickness. Some people will give this in grams/cubic inch, but consistent units are nice...
Got it - OK I'll give it a shot before sawing it up. I've actually got two sections of the tree: this 6" wide stuff and another piece that's more like a 2"x2". That stuff must have been from further towards the outside of the tree since the rings are tighter.

I'll take some weights from both of those sections and report back 👍

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion