The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-31-2015, 03:56 PM

Default Martin D28 vs HD28: after 2 days trial, here's my thoughts

I have a brand new Martin D28 and HD28 here at home to try and one will have to go on the 7 day return.

A Martin D28 is my dream guitar, the stuff of legends. I tried out a OM-28 recently but sent it back, it sounded good but had a finish flaw and, well, it's not a D28 is it? I'm a strummer mostly as well.

I have been wrestling with which one to keep for the last 2 days and keep switching between the two but here's my thoughts so far:

As you all know due to the scalloped bracing the HD28 is louder and has a deep boom in the lower bass register. The D28 when picked up after playing the HD28 sounds quieter and smaller sounding, that's for sure. It's like the HD28 is a recorded version of a D28 played through an amp, but the sound is coming from there sound hole.

I think prefer the 60s/70s looks of the D28, with the classic black pickguard and simple trim.The D28 is lighter, only a 150 grams but enough to feel, and the action is easier to play, the D28s action is stiffer and it just feels harder to tame. In terms of neck shape, both are the same, finish and fit and quality is exemplary on both.

After spending many hours playing heavy hit chords, Pete Townsend style, to finger picking a detuned 'Yesterday' or 'Blackbird', Paul McCartney style on both guitars I noticed something and think I have a path towards to making my decision.

The HD28 is almost too loud to sing over when played hard and has quite an over powering voice covering a wide tonal spectrum, the D28 is quieter and doesn't fill so much of the frequency bandwidth making it a more suitable accompaniment to singing.

So, I think it comes down to this: The D28 may be a better singer songwriter guitar. The HD28 may be a better instrument for solo guitar performances. That is of course my personal opinion.

My background is singer songwriter, Lennon/McCartney, The Who, Zeppelin, Dylan, etc. Seeing Paul McCartney play his 1965 D28 and Jimmy Page play his late 60s/early 70s D28 are the reasons I lust after a Martin guitar. Those guitars were straight braced D28s, blackguard, basic trim and don't sound too shabby.

I reckon the majority of Martin D28s we hear on 60/70s records were probably straight braced rather than vintage pre-1945 instruments. That's the sound we grew up with, that's the sound I want.

So...I'm leaning towards the D28, against many other peoples preference!

Here's Paul McCartney in Abbey Road with his Epiphone Texan and Martin D28 playing 'I've got a Feeling' and 'Blackbird'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndm4T4LY8KY

Last edited by M19; 01-01-2016 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Fixed YouTube link
Old 12-31-2015, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I think your reasoning makes a ton of sense. And I also agree that the HD-28 can smother a singer somewhat. Back when I had mine, I would totally agree...but that's what I loved about it because people definitely don't want to hear ME singing...

All kidding aside, either guitar will be great but go with your gut. Playability, action adjustments, etc can all be handled with a setup by a competent tech.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaBloom View Post

The HD28 is almost too loud to sing over when played hard and has quite an over powering voice covering a wide tonal spectrum, the D28 is quieter and doesn't fill so much of the frequency bandwidth making it a more suitable accompaniment to singing.

So, I think it comes down to this: The D28 may be a better singer songwriter guitar. The HD28 may be a better instrument for solo guitar performances. That is of course my personal opinion.

So...I'm leaning towards the D28, against many other peoples preference!
This is EXACTLY why I chose the D-28 over the HD-28. I bought a very nice, used D-28 off of a guy locally on Reverb.com just a few day before Christmas and couldn't be happier. Wanted a D-28 over the HD-28 for the same reasons you listed. More isn't always better, which is what you fond with the HD. I think the low end was just too much to compete with my voice then I sing. And if I'm going to be playing it with a loud band, I'll have a pickup in it. I just felt like the D-28 was more balanced and didn't take over when used in a singer/songwriter situation like the HD-28 did. Although the D-28 is regarded as THE most copied Matin guitar, the Bluegrass standard, etc, etc, etc, it does seem like it gets put to the side more often in favor for the HD-28 for sure. But like you, in the end I chose the D-28. Great minds think alike! Enjoy!

Do yourself if it isn't strung with mediums, and throw a set on those guitars. The previous owner had lights on the D-28 and it sounded very nice and sweet, but you could just tell the guitar had way more in it. Put on some mediums and it's a real monster now, but in a good way. Still super balanced and no boomy bass. Still sounds great fingerpicked but it's like stepping on the gas pedal with the mediums, and if you want Pete Townsend and hit it hard, it will give you more over what the lights provided.

Last edited by sbpark; 12-31-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:10 PM

If he playing a D-28 or a D-18 in that link for Blackbird?
Old 12-31-2015, 05:15 PM

If you like the tone or balance of the D28 better, then get it. Consider however, that loudness and projection are key selling points for Martin D-style guitars. Musicians want to be heard through the mix -but they can get boomy.

So if you're leaning toward the D28 only because you object to the loudness, or projection of the HD28 but otherwise like the tone and balance, then I'd suggest you re-think the HD28 and maybe play softer. It's much easier to play softer than more aggressively -especially finger-style.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:45 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunote View Post
If you like the tone or balance of the D28 better, then get it. Consider however, that loudness and projection are key selling points for Martin D-style guitars. Musicians want to be heard through the mix -but they can get boomy.

So if you're leaning toward the D28 only because you object to the loudness, or projection of the HD28 but otherwise like the tone and balance, then I'd suggest you re-think the HD28 and maybe play softer. It's much easier to play softer than more aggressively -especially finger-style.
Good points, but I think I prefer the more balanced tone of the D28, the boom of the HD is just too much for me. As for playing softer, I can't change that, Pinball Wizard wasn't meant to be played soft was it?
Old 12-31-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
If he playing a D-28 or a D-18 in that link for Blackbird?
On rewatch, he straps on a D28 but is playing a 000 or OM I think, some clever editing going on there. In that show he plays plenty on the D28 though elsewhere.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:52 PM

And here's a reminder of how Jimmy Page's D28 sounded in 1975:

http://youtu.be/-cfc3rCQOuU

Last edited by GazzaBloom; 01-02-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:58 PM

I played an incredible new D28 a last month. I personally liked it better than the HD28 I compared it to. I think the D28 is a great guitar did you consider an HD28V?
Old 01-01-2016, 05:07 AM

...OP here, picking them both up this morning after a nights sleep, slightly hungover and the HD28 sounds better to me than the D28...

This is doing my head in!

The D28 is strung with lighter strings than the HD28, it must have been restrung by the dealer at some point, that's why the action feels easier, when measured the action heights is almost identical.

so, stringing the HD with lighter strings will make it easier to play and reduce the volume and bass a little, consequently restringing the D with mediums would make it louder and a little stronger in the bass.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:08 AM

With the right set up, I think mediums play like lights. I don't notice much difference. I think all Martin dreads need mediums. I have tried lights and you do loose a little volume and tone, imo. Which one are you getting?
Old 01-01-2016, 06:21 AM

Keep them both, life is short.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:21 AM

OK final decision! I've just restrung the D28 and that's the one I'm keeping.

The HD28 sounds boomy now, and may only get boomier as it opens up. The D28 sounds better with new strings and may become even better sounding as it gets older, it has more of that nasally mid range character that I associate with the Martin sound, for me, the HD28 is too hi fi with the bass drowning out that nasally character too much.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaBloom View Post
OK final decision! I've just restrung the D28 and that's the one I'm keeping.

The HD28 sounds boomy now, and may only get boomier as it opens up. The D28 sounds better with new strings and may become even better sounding as it gets older, it has more of that nasally mid range character that I associate with the Martin sound, for me, the HD28 is too hi fi with the bass drowning out that nasally character too much.
You might need to try a D28A 41 with a VTS top.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

I owned an HD28 a few years ago and found it too muddy and scooped. I have since bought a D28 and a D35 and prefer them greatly. I still have the D35.

I think as a singer and strummer you will be happy with your decision to keep the D28.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion