The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM

Default Patina on Sapele, Ovangkol or Rosewood

How does the color & grain texture change on these woods or any other Taylor guitar woods change over time?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:40 PM

Not sure if I'm qualified to answer the question, but man do I hate the word "patina." I'm not picking on you, my friend, welcome to the forum.

Original usage: a film or incrustation, usually green, produced by oxidation on the surface of old bronze and often esteemed as being of ornamental value.

I see people put that word on LOTS of things that aren't bronze, and aren't even oxidized -- just dirty.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 PM

Sorry maybe the term is not used in the guitar world. Furniture makers & antique dealers use patina to describe how the color & quality of fine woods change as they age. Have you ever seen an old chair made of cherry or maple? Cherry gets dark red & brown with age and maple gets gold & yellow. Besides the color change, the grains in the wood can become more defined or less defined depending the type of wood.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:27 PM

Most clear lacquers will get a yellow/orange haze over them in time. Not sure if (and how strong) the stuff Taylor uses is affected by that.

Yes, the term patina is often used to mean any discolouration. But technically it's incorrect and strictly means the hard copper oxide layer that develops on items containing copper.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:04 AM

The wood doesn't change color, but the finish does.

The form of that finish change is highly variable based on what type of finish it is and a range of environmental/storage conditions.

I don't think your question has an answer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion