The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2016, 09:54 AM

Default CL rant

I have emailed the seller of an instrument saying I will buy it. Wanting to know how he would prefer payment and where we might meet to complete the transaction, and he has not responded yet.

I'm thinking that maybe the guy really doesn't want to sell it, for whatever reason. But I find it incredibly frustrating when I see something I will buy anyway, and see it for way less than it is worth new or even used.

For example, lets say this item retails for $100 and he has it listed for $20.

Probably some guy saying to his wife "Look, I listed it for sale on craigslist. Can I help it if nobody wants to buy it?"

And its been 8 days (and 4 emails) since I first "offered" to buy. All emails have included my email and cell number (no longer have a land line), and the last one was something like "This is still for sale? The listing is still up, and the reason I ask is that I've sent 4 emails now saying I would buy it. I feel like I'm begging you to take my money. Please let me know if this is still available. If its not, just take the listing down and I won't bother you again. Thank you."
Old 03-18-2016, 10:00 AM

Yep, had the same experience. Texts, phone calls, and emails go unanswered. Other posters seem a bit annoyed by being asked if the item is still available and some even state that if the ad is up the item is available, but the opposite is more common in my experience. You would think multiple contacts from someone would spur people to respond with the word "sold" and take the ad down, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 03-18-2016, 10:06 AM

No doubt that can be frustrating, but don't forget there are people out there for whom computers/email is not their go-to passion, in fact they log in seldom even if they are selling something. Inconsiderate? Maybe, but maybe they really don't have time for it either. Just a possibility that I know exists.

Also, they could just be jerks.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Maybe the seller is in jail and can't get back to you right now.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:48 AM

I've had similar experiences but as the seller.
Potential buyers say they are coming to pick up whatever I am selling at the time , we make a date and time and then you never hear from them again. This is after multiple emails and texts or phone calls. If you change your mind, fine just let me know. This has happened too many times to count. It's really frustrating, people can be such babies, how hard is it too say, I changed my mind, thanks.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:54 AM

I can't believe a musician could be a unreliable flake....
Old 03-18-2016, 10:54 AM

Default Cl

I've learned to take everything about CL with a large grain of salt.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:11 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fret-O'File View Post
I've had similar experiences but as the seller.
Potential buyers say they are coming to pick up whatever I am selling at the time , we make a date and time and then you never hear from them again. This is after multiple emails and texts or phone calls. If you change your mind, fine just let me know. This has happened too many times to count. It's really frustrating, people can be such babies, how hard is it too say, I changed my mind, thanks.
There should be a select CL group of good buyers and sellers. I have bought a large part of my collection of guitars as sell as amps, pedals etc on CL. As a buyer I am reliable. Could not imagine standing someone up.

Half of the ads I respond to with a quick introduction and a question or two are not responded to. Often stuff is sold and the seller leaves the item up..maybe they like all the spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasin View Post
I can't believe a musician could be a unreliable flake....
That's funny.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

I Listed a guitar just once. It was an inexpensive one that I was selling for $250. This was the first call as I remember it.

Q: Does it have all the strings?
A: Yes of course.

Q: Will you take a check?
A: No, it's a cash sale just as I listed it.

Q: Can I pay by installments?

Q: Can I pay you a little at a time?

I gave that guitar away (but not to the caller) and I've contentedly paid the consignment commissions ever since.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:26 AM

I see members of our trusty community have brought a level of irreverence which is most appropriate to any discourse on CL

Well done! Nothing for me to add here.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:31 AM

Man, that is almost as bad as ads that invite you to call for an in-hand description!
Old 03-18-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Man, that is almost as bad as ads that invite you to call for an in-hand description!
!!!!!! Well played, sir!!!
Old 03-18-2016, 11:42 AM

Angry

There's a whole bunch of great vintage and other rare instruments advertised on CL London just now. Oddly, the sellers move to Scotland when you want to come to see the instruments but are very happy to courier them to you if you wire the money. I hadn't tried CL before so spent a bit of time on it last week since there was a chance of a great deal. A complete waste of time and a scam.
Hope they don't snare anyone. I put up a warning ad.
Grrrr!
Avalon L348-ES called Marilyn (Blonde)
1966 John Bailey (had since I was 16)
Martinez Stagepro nylon
Chinese archtop bought on a whim in Shanghai
Breedlove mandolin
Fender Strat.
Just about every capo known to man! Oh, and a non-descript uke..
Old 03-18-2016, 12:53 PM

I was selling an amp once on CL, and a guy called and said he really wanted it. We set up a time and place to meet. I arrive a few minutes early. After 15 minutes, I call. He says he's on his way. Wait another 20 minutes. Call again. Oh, I'm kinda busy, can we meet in a few hours? I say no, you've wasted enough of my time, then hang up. He calls back immediately, but I don't answer. He leaves a message saying he REALLY wants it. I don't respond. He calls again, almost frantic. He promised it to his son, and can I PLEASE call him back. So I call. I tell him I'll be at the designated place for ten more minutes, then I'm leaving.

Right at the ten minute mark, he comes flying into the parking lot. Then he tries to lowball me! I just turned around and started to walk away. No, wait! I'll pay it! Part of me really wanted to just get in my car and leave, but I went ahead and sold it to him.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:20 PM

rz1, great salesmanship, and I mean that! One of the most important abilities is sales is the ability to just walk away. For some reason, people never expect that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion