The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

This must be the first video with some playing;

I listened to it with headphones and I think it sounds like maple with more of the fullness you'd expect from a Martin. It will take a few trips to the store to decide what I think of this one.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
The woods in that guitar will certainly be more expensive than the woods in a D18, for example.

Walnut lumber is about 2x the price of the "mahogany/select hardwoods" species typically used for necks at Martin. Maple is a mid-priced hardwood, Norway spruce is on the higher end of the softwood market. FSC certification inflates the price of all of lumber by about 30-35%, so the cost of this guitar's wood is probably significantly higher than most of what Martin makes and they'd be buying it in significantly lower volume to make it even more expensive, relatively.

Satin finish is less labor, so there's some offset there.
Was going to say this. As a middling woodworker, the idea that walnut is cheap is absolute hogwash. Overall, I like the look of this guitar, and like the idea as well. I would have preferred an ultra gloss finish, but it is what it is. As for sound, I'll reserve judgment until I hear it in person. I have real difficulty judging sound online and from clips, especially since there are such variances in recording equipment, sound equipment, etc.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
I'm a sucker. I want one.
On the contrary, I thank god my wallet is spared. I was afraid that this may have been a guitar I would be tempted to buy. The whole "sonic channeling" marketing speak just looks like a copy of Taylor's relief route. And whenever I see a guitar as being referred to as having a "more balanced tone", it just seems to be a nicer way of saying "bright but lacking bass".
Old 01-09-2024, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Sunburst is decent, better than usual for Martin. I don't like the wedge in the back, it needs some kind of border to set it off, not enough contrast. Don't care for the color of the bridge with that dark burst. Otherwise looks nice enough.

Sounds nice in that clip above. Hard to tell without a comparison to a guitar I know better, but sure. Will be interesting to play one in person.

I hope it does well. We'll see how it plays and sounds.
Old 01-09-2024, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if this bracing will make the top more sensitive to humidity changes? I don’t know, just wondering.
…and, at least for me, the “sustainable tonewoods” immediately implies (to me) tonewoods that aren’t mahogany or rosewood but are pretty good.
In the two videos I’ve seen this model sounds really bright. I can get this tone from a Taylor Big Baby.

Last edited by jbow; 01-09-2024 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Additional
Old 01-09-2024, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintClarence27 View Post
Was going to say this. As a middling woodworker, the idea that walnut is cheap is absolute hogwash. Overall, I like the look of this guitar, and like the idea as well. I would have preferred an ultra gloss finish, but it is what it is. As for sound, I'll reserve judgment until I hear it in person. I have real difficulty judging sound online and from clips, especially since there are such variances in recording equipment, sound equipment, etc.
It's expensive to procure and there is a tremendous added cost to use it because the scrap factor is high because it's got a lot of defect AND people won't accept a lot of it - the blonde streaks and the wild color changes - because they expect that nice consistent dark thing we associate with Walnut even though the color spectrum is pretty vast.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:38 PM

Thumbs down

Depending on the use/project, those color changes can be awesome too. I love walnut. Next to cherry, it's my favorite. I hate mahogany though. A couple weeks of coughing up mahogany sawdust after stupidly not using a respirator for a day will do that to you.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintClarence27 View Post
Depending on the use/project, those color changes can be awesome too. I love walnut. Next to cherry, it's my favorite.
I'd feel worse derailing if I wasnt the OP.

I made a huge center island a few years ago with mostly gnarly boards with big color changes, some burl, some knots. It's so pretty when you put it all together.

Pre-glue lay-out:

Final result:
Old 01-09-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I'd feel worse derailing if I wasnt the OP.

I made a huge center island a few years ago with mostly gnarly boards with big color changes, some burl, some knots. It's so pretty when you put it all together.

Pre-glue lay-out:

Final result:
That is some nice work!
Old 01-09-2024, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

WOW! Very nice...beautiful table! Looks to be "long scale"? Sorry couldn't resist!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-09-2024, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
WOW! Very nice...beautiful table! Looks to be "long scale"? Sorry couldn't resist!
like 96" scale ;-)

No skeleton bracing holding up that behemoth....solid USA steel baby!
Old 01-09-2024, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Just think of the outrage if they announced they were going carbon fiber and printing Brazilian Rosewood and spruce. I'll certainly play one if given the chance though I'm four decades past its target audience.

I'm of the era where you bought a Mercedes to drive for 300,000 miles. Today's under 40 buyer wouldn't dream of having one with even 100,000 miles on it, so they cram the tech their buyers want into them knowing they will buy a new one every few years. Market research has shown Martin the direction they need to go.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 01-09-2024, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
like 96" scale ;-)

No skeleton bracing holding up that behemoth....solid USA steel baby!
No doubt with pre war scalloping?!?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-09-2024, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Just think of the outrage if they announced they were going carbon fiber and printing Brazilian Rosewood and spruce. I'll certainly play one if given the chance though I'm four decades past its target audience.

I'm of the era where you bought a Mercedes to drive for 300,000 miles. Today's under 40 buyer wouldn't dream of having one with even 100,000 miles on it, so they cram the tech their buyers want into them knowing they will buy a new one every few years. Market research has shown Martin the direction they need to go.
Don't forget the subscription services (like for heated seats)!
Old 01-09-2024, 03:51 PM

I really like the look and sound of this guitar.

I have never been a huge fan of the Taylor sound, as I generally find them way too bright overall, but this Martin seems to have a nice balance of the brighter Taylor vibe but with the meatier Martin bottom end.

But for $4K, I'm probably picking a Hummingbird over this.

This is one to follow though. I look forward to trying one in person.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion