The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 05:55 PM

Default special run of GS Minis

Here's a link to a special run of Taylor GS Minis with solid Engelmann spruce tops and figured maple laminated back and sides. The trees that provided the wood for the bodies came from projects in Washington state where creeks were being diverted. Proceeds from the sales go to a couple of clean water projects in central America.

http://www.holdenvillage.org/book/holden-guitar/

I live and work at Holden Village, where the Engelmann came from, but receive no benefits from the sales.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Default Well now

Well now, isn't this interesting?

Quite a story.
A guitar made of all Pacific Northwest woods.
It looks to be a pretty and pretty cool guitar.

Do I understand that these are to be available ONLY through the Holden Village website? At $549?
Do I have that right?
Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 PM

Quite interesting. Are the authorized and under warranty?
Old 11-15-2013, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
Well now, isn't this interesting?

Quite a story.
A guitar made of all Pacific Northwest woods.
It looks to be a pretty and pretty cool guitar.

Do I understand that these are to be available ONLY through the Holden Village website? At $549?
Do I have that right?
My understanding is that for now Holden Village is generating presales through their website, I don't know if that will be the only avenue to acquire one. Yes, the price will be $549.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekisai29 View Post
Quite interesting. Are the authorized and under warranty?
That is my understanding.

These are good questions that should probably be verified through Taylor directly. I may do that myself just to see what they have to say...
Old 11-15-2013, 11:21 PM

Very cool.

(By the way, my family and I all love the Holden Evening Prayer.)
Old 11-15-2013, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Default thanks for posting, this is more than cool

Bob Taylor comes thru again and impresses

I love the look of this Mini...............oh how I wish they made them with a wider nut width.

thanks for posting

d
Old 11-16-2013, 11:22 AM

I am very intrigued by this, but I'm not sure if the GS mini, which is already a smaller bodied guitar, would sound good with maple. I sure love the look of maple more than anything else though!
Electric guitar: Fender Custom Deluxe Tele 2013/Fender JM Strat/Sugi Rainmaker> MXR CAE Wah> Whammy V> Polytune mini> Thrutone VP Jr> AM modded MXR '76 Dyna Comp> Skreddy LMMD> Keeley BD2> TS808HW> Kingsley Jester> Cusack TAW v3> Chrono Delay> DMMTT 1100> WET>Fender DRRI/Mesa Boogie Mark I Reissue
Old 11-16-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NdrewC View Post
I am very intrigued by this, but I'm not sure if the GS mini, which is already a smaller bodied guitar, would sound good with maple. I sure love the look of maple more than anything else though!
The mini is laminate with a thin veneer of pretty wood on the outside. I would not expect the maple veneer to make one sound any different than any other veneer.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-16-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
The mini is laminate with a thin veneer of pretty wood on the outside. I would not expect the maple veneer to make one sound any different than any other veneer.
I tend to think this as well.

What's going to be really interesting is whether there are any significant top wood tonal differences!

As a Washingtonian, I'd be interested though the nut width on these has been a show-stopper for me.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Default Maybe??

Taylor is a pretty responsive company over all, so I had an idea.

As darylcrisp said..
"I love the look of this Mini...............oh how I wish they made them with a wider nut width."

and email4eric,
"As a Washingtonian, I'd be interested though the nut width on these has been a show-stopper for me."

I agree, so I sent an email to Taylor late last night asking ..."if there was any way to get a 1 3/4 nut width instead of the 1 11/16?"

I anticipate a prompt yet kindly "NO", but maybe if there was enough of us asking for it...?

I will letcha all know what they have to say.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the heads up.... I went to the Holden Village link and reserved one of the little buggers. At completion of reserving the guitar there was a statement that I would receive an email from Taylor Guitars to complete and pay for the order.
So apparentlly these will be bought directly from Taylor and they will be forwarding proceeds from the sell to the charity rather than Holden Village buying the guitars from Taylor. Delivery is to be in February 2014.

Sounds square and straight up to me.

><(((º>·.¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> ·.¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º>

Happily playing with Parkinson's since 2002!!

1968 Martin D12-35 Brazilian
1985 Gibson J45
1996 Martin, D28 Indian
1975 Gibson Gospel, Maple
2009 Martin 0000 M-21
2014 Taylor HV GS Mini
Old 11-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Guest 235664

Gotta hand it to Taylor, they keep offering these GS Mini's in various flavors, what's not to love. I got one in hog and I wouldn't mind having another in a different wood combo....hmmmmmmmmmmm.....................
Old 11-16-2013, 12:45 PM

That's a great story, thanks for posting. The GS Mini has become a great way for Taylor to offer a low priced guitar, that many people enjoy, in a diversity of LTDs.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:09 PM

I'm in. They had me with the Pacific Northwest connection. A locally grown Engelmann top is a nice bonus. It can join my Oregon Series C20/SMye Breedlove.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:02 PM

this is very interesting. i am thinking about it hard. i looked on the website and saw one photo of the guitar. i was wondering if anyone had any more pictures or found a website with more. these look to not have a pickguard which i love. i wish i could hear a soundclip.....
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion