The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-01-2022, 05:57 AM

Spending $5,000 on a guitar can buy you a lot of things but it can't buy you everything.

It can buy you a guitar that's made very nicely without niggling little cosmetic, fit and finish or mechanical issues. Or it can buy you a fancy model from Gibson, Martin, Fender or other legacy brands. Or it can buy you a unique guitar made with exotic tonewoods and custom appointments.

But you can't get all of those things in the same guitar. And specifically, wanting a higher end model (especially an "authentic" or throwback model) from a legacy brand means giving up the ideal build quality and attention to detail.

Those legacy brands command a price premium simply because so many people aspire to own a particular brand and often a particular model.

I find the whole pricing thing scary as heck nowadays. I'm so glad I remain satisfied with a guitar I bought 10+ years ago. Back then a few thousand dollars went a long way if you were willing to shop used. Today even $5,000, an amount that seems like it ought to buy you nigh perfection, has become more like an intermediate price point that entails all sorts of compromises. Yikes!
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-01-2022, 11:13 AM

^^^
I disagree that $5,000 in 2022 means you (the customer) MUST accept certain compromises.

First:
I am glad the OP got new bridge pins, and is very happy with the guitar that he is going to keep.

Second:
I find it ridiculous that the "excuse" for the OP's guitar's many cosmetic issues is that Gibson was making it "period correct". So, Gibson's quality back then was THIS BAD. I find that hard to believe. Certainly Martin "reissues" are not shoddy.

Third:
Spending $5,000 on a new guitar SHOULD entitle one to a great sounding guitar with NO cosmetic issues or shoddy workmanship.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 03-01-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-01-2022, 11:35 AM

from the original poster on Feb. 25 (Post # 59):

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkimk View Post
Update:
I have received the replacement Gibson bone bridge pins from the seller and also checked with other's who purchased this version of J-45 (the banner 1942 reissue second run).
This guitar was built to look and feel like this, and the sound is amazing and I really dig it more I play.
I have decided to keep this guitar and registered it with Gibson.
Thank you guys for all comments.
My NGD post with pic is coming this weekend after I took some nice photo's.
Maybe give it a rest?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion