The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
[/B]
Move to Wales. The chances of having a sunny day at an outdoor gig are minimal.
Winner for best advise!

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 04-29-2024, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I wonder how many people check their tuner with bell tones and octaves. I’ve noticed that its one thing to have each individual open string in tune with a tuner and its another thing for the guitar to be in tune all over the neck.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-29-2024, 12:07 PM

Hi I'm not disputing any accuracy . I know those will get me in the ballpark. I have about four or five different tuners and on sunny days;I might as well not even have one because I can't see it. They all get lost in the sun.I hate buying another one of these things ;but ;ya really think it's worth springin for a Peterson? Which one is it?Looks like there are a few clip ons.....Not moving to Wales,been there Loved it!,but...
Old 04-29-2024, 12:14 PM

My in-soundhole clip on is only for inside when I'm not plugged in or backup outside. If you're performing outside, you are likely plugged in and would benefit with a pedal, multi-effects or some other electronic tuner that you can see clearly and silence while using. One of the most unprofessional things I see from players is re-tuning between songs when the audience is listening (and waiting) for them to tune their instrument. That's a great banter, story or joke time to allow one to retune quickly and silently.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
My in-soundhole clip on is only for inside when I'm not plugged in or backup outside. If you're performing outside, you are likely plugged in and would benefit with a pedal, multi-effects or some other electronic tuner that you can see clearly and silence while using. One of the most unprofessional things I see from players is re-tuning between songs when the audience is listening (and waiting) for them to tune their instrument. That's a great banter, story or joke time to allow one to retune quickly and silently.
I do have a Tunerpedal with the AC adapter too. I can't see that one either. It's not just me ;other guitar players I know have the same problem.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Default TC Uni or Poly?

I've been using the D'Addario Micro headstock tuners, which I like better than the Snark, but the TC ones look pretty sweet. Do you all recommend the Uni or Poly version?
Old 04-29-2024, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi I'm not disputing any accuracy . I know those will get me in the ballpark. I have about four or five different tuners and on sunny days;I might as well not even have one because I can't see it. They all get lost in the sun.I hate buying another one of these things ;but ;ya really think it's worth springin for a Peterson? Which one is it?Looks like there are a few clip ons.....Not moving to Wales,been there Loved it!,but...
I bought the StroboClip a while back and have liked it:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...igh-definition

Edit - Go to Amazon - the same one is $15 less there.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-29-2024, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

For me : TC Electronics Unitune, but the older ones are better as the later versions have a screw down battery cover (tiresome).

Old 04-29-2024, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Buchman View Post
I've been using the D'Addario Micro headstock tuners, which I like better than the Snark, but the TC ones look pretty sweet. Do you all recommend the Uni or Poly version?
I have the Poly version, but I cannot remember now why I bought that one over the other. Both the TC and the Peterson clip ons are more accurate than the Snarks when compared to my Peterson Strobe Tuner.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-29-2024, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Buchman View Post
I own both the PolyTune and the UniTune, and can tell you that they’re both equally accurate. The PolyTune has a feature or two that I never use that the UniTune lacks, but for tuning itself they’re both very good.

The PolyTune is noticeably more expensive than the UniTune, so that’s a factor.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 04-29-2024, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

thanks, I went for the Poly!
Old 04-29-2024, 08:29 PM

I wonder if there is a way of making something for ;say a Snark tuner,that could be like a cylinder to fit around the shape of it so it won't let the blazing sunlight completely bleach out the tuner. In other words ;make it dark ,so I can see the E,A,D..etc.. ya know? Like a papertowel tube.
Old 04-30-2024, 03:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I wonder if there is a way of making something for ;say a Snark tuner,that could be like a cylinder to fit around the shape of it so it won't let the blazing sunlight completely bleach out the tuner. In other words ;make it dark ,so I can see the E,A,D..etc.. ya know? Like a papertowel tube.
Do they still make those little paper parasols that used to come with fruity drinks?
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 04-30-2024, 05:12 AM

Have you considered a small hood/sun bonnet to keep the readout in the shade. It might look a little less elegant, but a small piece of tape might do the job.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 04-30-2024, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Have you considered a small hood/sun bonnet to keep the readout in the shade. It might look a little less elegant, but a small piece of tape might do the job.
Indeed, all you need is a tuner hat.

Maybe a Stetson...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion