The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-29-2016, 02:18 PM

Default BRW/Sitka as the sound board and tone-wood

I am sure there have been multiple threads about this topic so forgive me if so.....maybe it is just me, because I have had many combinations and realize there are too many to do a direct comparison. I have two OM style guitars, both have Sitka as their soundboard, one has EIR and the other has BRW for their tone-wood. While I love the sound of both. the BRW seems to have more than just the super clear upper end, it has a really full mid-range. I changed the strings on both to the same strings, but of course the box size is different so not an apples to apples, but I can sense a real difference.
Anyway, when I sit down to play, the BRW ends up on my lap.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have heard Steve Baughman play his Sitka/Brazilian OM made by John Slobod and it is quite a nice instrument. In the hands of the right builder, it can be a nice combo.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-29-2016, 07:15 PM

BRW and sitka in the hands of a poor builder can turn out pretty poor.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:19 PM

i have a Larrivee D10 sitka/brazilian rosewood. Jean Larrivee is a big fan of
sitka spruce. Just because sitka is relatively common does not mean it is not an exceptional tone wood. Even my Goodall Rosewood Standard has a sitka top. In the hands of a good builder, sitka produces a great sounding guitar.
I suspect if there was a large up charge for sitka it would be more desirable.
Regarding the OP's comment about brazilian rosewood vs indian rosewood, I agree that there is something special about brazilian rosewood. My brazilian Larrivee has amazing tone with great sustain, reverb, and haunting overtones.
When I bought the Larrivee, I had the same guitar only it had East Indian Rosewood, so I was able to compare the two guitars. The brazilian sounded noticeably better to my ears, and I sold the EIR Larrivee.
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan/summer-breeze
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 05-29-2016, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
... My brazilian Larrivee has amazing tone with great sustain, reverb, and haunting overtones. ...
Reverb?
Isn't reverb related to the dimensions and reflective/absorptive properties of the room?

How could any sound source itself change the reverb time, or how various frequencies are attenuated with each reflection, or anything else related to reverb?
Old 05-30-2016, 12:22 AM

Might be referring to the sound of the overtones within the body of the guitar, which could be considered 'reverb', since the guitar is kind of like a little room with sound bouncing around in it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion