The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2015, 01:19 AM

I'm with jseth too, the D-28 in my sig I'd been hovering around for 2-3 months before I bit the bullet & bought it. There's no way I would have made a purchase unseen/unheard with such conviction.

I tried others in the shop above that pricepoint (a very nice D-35, a very disappointing J-45TV, a HD-28VS) & some below (16 series Martins & an Eastman E10D) yet that 28 called me out, sometimes you just know.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 11-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
I'm waffling now though. Before I started the thread I was nearly certain I'd get that guitar. What gives me pause though is what a couple of you have mentioned, that there is not always consistency in the way Martins sound. And I've seen that myself because the brand new D35 I loved was one of three D35s that I played. The other 2 were nice, but they didn't take my breath away. I played Gibson J45, Taylor 210, an HD 28. Only that one D35 made me want it. (Actually the 210 sounded very good to me too.). In fact, an AGF friend was with me that day, and when he heard the Martin he said something like, "Put new strings on that and it'll blow you out the door....You'll never do better than that D35. " Also he mentioned that it didn't sound like a typical D35 which are usually darker in tone because of the 3 piece back, and that coincided perfectly with what the GC manager told me right before my friend came in. That was 3 weeks ago. I doubt it's still there.

So now, what I think is that guitar is a good price and I can return it, and I don't mind paying the shipping, and it would only be one way because it's at a GC. But the chances of it sounding like the one are probably slim. So...I think that used Martin is most likely not my dream guitar. OTOH, it would only cost me shipping to find out...
Not consistent? I've never played a Martin of any type that didn't play and sound like a Martin. Even the MIM ones.

And I'm not a believer in 5 guitars and 5 guitars sounding different. I think it's all in people's heads myself. YMMV (just my opinion folks)

That's a good price on that D35 and it's only what? 4 years old? I wouldn't be afraid to buy it. I just bought a HD28 sight unseen, except for pictures and couldn't be happier.

Last edited by SFCRetired; 11-21-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM

If the price and condition are good.

What's the harm in buying? It's a Martin D-35 priced around what a new D16 or 17 costs.

IF you don't care for it down the road you can easily move it...
Even if you lose a few bucks on resale. You had fun playing and trying.

I do it from time to time when I see a deal... Lose $50-100 bucks. Or sometimes I make a few bucks like in case of Sweetwater Guild blowout in Sept.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

At an "asking" price of $1,599, I do not think you have much to lose. If it is terrible, you can return it. If you never fall in love, you can be pretty sure that you can sell it without taking a big hit.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:59 AM

Normally, I would say that buying the one that you loved three weeks ago is a no-brainer. Contrary to what you believe, I think the odds that it is still there are quite high. These are expensive guitars as far as the general guitar buying public is concerned; the AGF forum is not representative. Stores like GC move dozens of sub-$1000 guitars for every relatively high-end guitar they sell.

That being said, the used one is a quite substantial saving over the new price so I can see how it can be tempting.

For what it's worth, all but one of my guitars were bought after extensive guitar safaris during which I played all similar (and not so similar) guitars that I could find within driving distance and I only bought the one that really wow-ed me.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion