The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

a particular nut width (say 1 3/4 for instance) will feel pretty different on different guitars

- the string spacing can be diff on a nut width that still comes advertised as 1 3/4

- the depth and shape of the neck and the radius of the fretboard also have a lot to do with how cramped or not it feels, but these factors are not as widely acknowledged....

I've played both comfortably but have gotten rid of guitars with a really narrow feeling 1 11/16 and really wide feeling 1 3/4
Old 11-20-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringpickin View Post
Until recently I was firmly in the 1 3/4 nut width camp and convinced it had to be that over 1 11/16.

Then I bought my used Martin HD28 and decided that I would try to make the change. Interestingly enough (to me at least), I have made the transition between the two without any real problems. In fact I can now pick up either my Greven J35 (1 3/4 nut) or the new Martin HD28 (1 11/16) and play either with ease, flat picking or finger picking.

So anybody else go along with this?

I think in my case it was in my mind and not my fingers or technique. Just one persons take.

Thanks
The width of a piece of wood is not "in your mind", it's a measurable physical object.

For some folks nut width doesn't matter, for others (myself included) it is critical. We all have different size hands/fingers and some also have to deal with arthritis or other issues.

Different strokes for different folks, and please don't presume what works for you necessarily works for someone else..

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-20-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
The width of a piece of wood is not "in your mind", it's a measurable physical object.

For some folks nut width doesn't matter, for others (myself included) it is critical. We all have different size hands/fingers and some also have to deal with arthritis or other issues.

Different strokes for different folks, and please don't presume what works for you necessarily works for someone else..
I would never think what works for me works for "anybody else", But maybe I am just so happy to be back in the Martin family and have gotten past my own mindset to allow it work (for me).

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 11-20-2015, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think in my case it was in my mind and not my fingers or technique. Just one persons take.
At some point though, it does become about the fingers. You either have enough room to play or you don't. My preference is wider nut. On both of my custom builds I have a 1 7/8 nut. I can maneuver on a 1 3/4 but I much prefer having a little more room.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-20-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Until recently I was firmly in the 1 3/4 nut width camp and convinced it had to be that over 1 11/16.

Then I bought my used Martin HD28 and decided that I would try to make the change. Interestingly enough (to me at least), I have made the transition between the two without any real problems. In fact I can now pick up either my Greven J35 (1 3/4 nut) or the new Martin HD28 (1 11/16) and play either with ease, flat picking or finger picking.

So anybody else go along with this?

Thanks
When did you start playing? Before or after the 1 3/4" became the "in" thing?

For steel string guitars, from 1939 until probably the '90s or even '00s (I'll check when I get home tonight), the 1 11/16" nut was pretty standard.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:15 PM

Default Stubby Fingertips and Short Arms!

I fought the neck of 14-fret, 1 11/16" guitars for years, never considering how much better I might feel with a little more room.

Then, into my life came a Guild Orpheum 12-fret slope-shouldered dread, and I saw the light. It is short scale, and has a 1.8" nut. Perfect.

A guitar that fits you is a beautiful thing!

Neal
Old 11-20-2015, 12:24 PM

Default Nut width, fact or fiction

I don't have trouble on anything 1 5/8 to 1.75. I have had several vintage style Fender electrics with 1 5/8 and several Gibson electrics with 1 11/16. My Taylor is the only guitar I have owned with a 1.75 inch nut width and I immediately adjusted to it and like it. I also have 2 Martin acoustics and a Gibson acoustic and the 1.72 is fine. Anyway, each width has its advantage and disadvantage but no problem playing any of them. I actually like the variety and try to have different guitar sizes and designs to keep things interesting and add more tonal options. I hope to add a resonator, mandolin and ukulele to the stable to mix things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I can adapt to anything fairly easily, but to me, the 1.72" width of most Gibsons is perfect. I am always surprised at what a difference a few millimeters makes, but nut width isn't really a dealbreaker for me. I currently own a 1 11/16" a 1.72" and a 1.75" guitar, and switch back and forth between them without issue. I do, however, vastly prefer short scale guitars.
I agree, the 1.72 that I have on my Seagull is the perfect neck size. I go from 1.72 to 1/11/16 to 1.75 without issues.

I do however prefer the 1.75 finger picking.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Rick, I totally agree with you: I find very little difference in feel and playability between 1-11/16" & 1-3/4" nut widths.

For me (and I know I am in the exception) fretboard radius makes a much bigger difference in playability than nut width. If a guitar has a 12" or more arched radius on the fretboard, I find it very playable pretty much regardless of its nut width or neck profile (within reason).

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 11-20-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
When did you start playing? Before or after the 1 3/4" became the "in" thing?

For steel string guitars, from 1939 until probably the '90s or even '00s (I'll check when I get home tonight), the 1 11/16" nut was pretty standard.
Dave

I played 1 11/16 until joining the AGF, I then gravitated towards 1 3/4, convinced I needed the extra space. A lot of it was the "in" thing

At the same time I bought my D18GE (since sold) and a D21 Special (since sold), but in my case I really think the difference was all in my head. I really am enjoying everything about my HD28 and my only regret is I didn't face my own head sooner.

"Reputation is made in a moment:Character is built in a lifetime."
Old 11-20-2015, 02:40 PM

I'm sure that if all I played was cowboy chords I wouldn't care. But I play exclusively Fingerstyle so it is a measurement of importance to "me". I do play both and I must change my technique accordingly.
Mackenzie&Marr "Opeongo"-spruce/mahogany
Old 11-20-2015, 03:07 PM

There are 11/16 necks and 11/16 necks... Martin guitars with 11/16 necks have a strings spacing of 37 mm, a couple of mm wider than most guitars with 11/16 neck, and it makes a difference.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'nCrunch View Post
Seems like both the neck profile and nut width in combination would affect play-ability. Am I off here? .
No, not at all. I generally prefer a bit wider than standard at the nut, but I've played some guitars that while they had my preferred width of 1 3/4, had a very shallow neck with a soft C profile. Not comfortable for me at all. In fact I had an otherwise nice Guild that I ended up selling for those very reasons.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:44 PM

Horses for courses, I'm sure it's detectable, by enough to matter? depends on the individual.

I have 2 at 1 11/16" & 1 at 1 3/4" & can't notice enough to care. My 12 string is a full 2" (51mm) at the nut & I can sure notice that.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 11-20-2015, 04:53 PM

I suspect it's really individual. I remember reading an interview with Julian Lage where he said that though his 000-18 and Chris Eldridge's D-28 were both '39s, his was after the switch and he couldn't play Chris's, which came before, without causing himself trouble. If you play as little, and as poorly as I do, I guess it doesn't matter too much, except that it does to me. I have trouble adjusting to my two old Martins, but I just live with it because I love them so much.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion