The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2015, 04:52 AM

Default Thermocure top still need time to open up?

Hey guys,

Just got my tdr with Adirondack cooked top. Just wonder whether this cooked top will be open up further?? My understanding is cooked=aged=open up, correct me if i am wrong....
Old 11-20-2015, 05:14 AM

Mmmm ... I think we'll need to see pictures ...
Old 11-20-2015, 06:50 AM

Just play the heck out of it....then the guitar will begin to open up/settle in/find its voice.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 11-20-2015, 10:37 PM

I'm not sure what Thermocure is... but I know Yamaha's ARE's are not bingo right out of the box for some reason. When I got my 12 string I was really disappointed with the guitar the first initially playing of it. The guitar has sat to fully normalize with room temp and humidly before playing it (liked to kill me) but when I first played it I was so disappointed.

Well not sure why ... Irish stubborn streak or what.. but I played it hard for 3 hours straight and all at once... it was like a wall came down.

So in the case of Yamahas cooked top.. it seems to come alive after about 3-4 hours of solid playtime.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 11-20-2015, 11:20 PM

I would not expect to see much change. The main reason for the process is to add something like 40 years to the wood aging. The cosmetic thing was a side result.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I would not expect to see much change. The main reason for the process is to add something like 40 years to the wood aging.
Well, yes and no. Torrefaction makes the wood stiffer, lighter and more brittle. Given that all of the vibrational plates of a guitar work together, it makes sense to me that it will still require some playing in to loosen it up. I would be surprised if there were no changes in guitars with torrefied tops after they've been played a while.

whm
Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM

Absolutely. I've owned a couple of torrefied tops and I think just like any other Adi top, they still open up and improve with time and playing.

Most I've played have had something vintage going on (a little more reverby quality) and didn't sound tight like some new Adi can, but I don't think torrefaction replicates all parts of the natural aging/playing in process, like string vibration from being played, and that wood just settling into being a guitar.

Torrefaction definitely adds something, though. A friend just played my basicslly new H&D TDR against his favorite 10-year-old TDR (which is an excellent guitar), and mine kind of blew it away. Fundamentally similar, but notably fuller/more complex. Made me think I need to sell my Adi/Madi OM instead of my TDR!
Old 11-21-2015, 10:25 AM

I speculate it does. The guitar as a whole will settle and as it ages I'm rationalizing it will keep opening.

I'm also considering the back and sides, which are not torrified and add greatly to the tone of a guitar.

I have a guitar with Brazilian rosewood back and sides that is at least 60+ years old. So it is already aged, will the guitar change and open? Yes I believe it will.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:33 AM

If the braces did not undergo torrefaction then there will be some aging and settling there that directly affects the top. Some guitars are now being made with back, sides and braces torrefied. How much opening up/settling, etc. may be variable based on how much of a guitar undergoes torrefaction.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-21-2015, 11:14 AM

Always give a guitar some time to work itself in - the vibrations it goes thru when being played make a difference in the wood regardless of torrefication or not -
There are so many other components affected in the bridge, back, sides, glue joints etc.

However, the advise that if a guitar isn't right at the get go to your ears - it may never be right for you.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilson View Post
Hey guys,

Just got my tdr with Adirondack cooked top. Just wonder whether this cooked top will be open up further?? My understanding is cooked=aged=open up, correct me if i am wrong....
Hi Neilson

If we were to assume that all the ingredients which produce what we call 'aged' tone occur with 'cooked' tops, then you are there.

I'm just guessing we still don't know what causes aging (though some people are convinced they do).

For me it's largely irrelevant since I'd never buy a guitar hoping the tone would improve with playing. If the tone's not there now, I'm not buying it.

If it gets better - I am a bonus winner!

I've never bought a guitar I didn't love the tone of (except my Voyage-Air which I do love the tone of but I bought it to travel with).

And I've never kept any of the tone monsters I bought less than 11 years so far and even the one that was 4 years old when I acquired it has improved with regular and ongoing playing.

My oldest is nearly 23 years old and it continues to improve with play, and my other two are 13 and 12 years old and they continue to open too (and yes I know some think it's my ears opening not the guitars, and I'm ok with that).

I don't happen to think 'cooking' tops does everything to them that normal aging involves, nor shaking them vigorously (Vibrating them for days). Both may have an effect, and I still think guitars improve with playing beyond man's attempts to pre-age them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-21-2015, 06:10 PM

Thanks for the advice bros. Picture below is the cooked on my dreadnought for reference. It is very loud with this beautiful, golden top.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Neilson; 11-21-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasin View Post
I speculate it does. The guitar as a whole will settle and as it ages I'm rationalizing it will keep opening.

I'm also considering the back and sides, which are not torrified and add greatly to the tone of a guitar.

I have a guitar with Brazilian rosewood back and sides that is at least 60+ years old. So it is already aged, will the guitar change and open? Yes I believe it will.
Wait, the back and side wood contribute only 20% of the sound right??
And back and side wood will age too? I initially thought everyone is talking aged top
Old 11-21-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I would not expect to see much change. The main reason for the process is to add something like 40 years to the wood aging. The cosmetic thing was a side result.
The finish, itself, may still darken/yellow over time, perhaps. But............

Will he hear a change?
Old 11-21-2015, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilson View Post
Wait, the back and side wood contribute only 20% of the sound right??
And back and side wood will age too? I initially thought everyone is talking aged top
Hi Neilson…

If the backs/sides didn't contribute to tone (and 20% is a substantial amount to contribute) why wouldn't they just build all guitar backs/sides with cheap plywood?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion