The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2015, 04:41 PM

shubb deluxe
Old 11-20-2015, 04:58 PM

Default Favorite Capo?

Where I come from, picking the wrong name could land you in the trunk of a burning car off the West Shore Expressway...

Oh, I'm sorry - you meant CAY-po, not CAH-po...

Dunlop toggle - lightweight, efficient, and cheap enough that I can afford to keep one in every case as well as my coat pocket...
Old 11-20-2015, 05:06 PM

In terms of convenience & on the fly changes (& being able to leave clamped on the headstock while not in use) the G7 Performance is pretty handy but not 100% happy with how it frets, particularly on the D-28. By the time it's cleanly fretting the middle strings it needs extraordinary pressure on the outside ones, works somewhat better on the Maton for some reason or another, probably different neck profile.

The Shubb Deluxe on the other hand only needs a light preload on the screw/micrometer & frets all 6 strings cleanly & effortlessly, to the point it sounds as good as the nut itself, even up to 7th or 8th fret, particularly on the Martin.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 11-20-2015, 05:49 PM

I'm liking the Shubb Fine Tune quite a bit, but I still think I prefer the Deluxe.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:57 PM

Default Capos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
I'll never understand Elliott capos. Or rather, I don't understand spending 10x as much for a clamp that stops your strings. I could see the money on picks (but I'm a finger picker anyway), as they have something to do with sound production. On top of not being necessary, I find the Elliott's unattractively industrial looking.

I have a $12 Kyser and it does the job just fine.
I here ya!

BTW!

I'll never understand Kyser capos. Or rather, I don't understand spending 10x as much for a clamp that stops your strings. ........ On top of not being necessary, I find the Kaysers unattractively industrial looking.

I have a $0.59 cent Yellow #2 pencil and a Rubber band and it does the job just fine, so No expensive, ugly looking $12 Kaiser for me!

Stop - grin - and laugh!

Last edited by BKENNA; 11-20-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:02 PM

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKENNA View Post
I here ya!

BTW!

I'll never understand Kyser capos. Or rather, I don't understand spending 10x as much for a clamp that stops your strings. ........ On top of not being necessary, I find the Kaysers unattractively industrial looking.

I have a $0.59 cent Yellow #2 pencil and a Rubber band and it does the job just fine, so No expensive, ugly looking $12 Kaiser for me!

Stop - smile - and laugh!
I have done this!!! Couldn't find a rubber band so I used a guitar strap to tie down pencil.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll never understand Elliott capos. Or rather, I don't understand spending 10x as much for a clamp that stops your strings. I could see the money on picks (but I'm a finger picker anyway), as they have something to do with sound production. On top of not being necessary, I find the Elliott's unattractively industrial looking.

I have a $12 Kyser and it does the job just fine.
Hi k…
I feel you are not looking for a real answer, but I'll share my thoughts anyway.

I certainly understand acquiring specific equipment which serves the function of different players. And not everybody needs the same things I need.

My main guitar has a wider fingerboard than my Shubb could handle, and Planet Waves NS hadn't been invented yet, and Kysers strangulated the intonation out of the strings…

When I sought information from Phil Elliott about the possibility of customizing a McKinney/Elliot for that guitar, he was willing to bend the yoke a bit wider to accommodate my extra fingerboard width.

He spent over 30 minutes on the phone as we took measurements and discussed the function and fit of it so it would not damage the edges of the fingerboard…and after more than a decade it's still the best capo I own (for the best guitar I own).

As a side-effect, it is most disconcerting when strings slide sidewise under a capo's top armature when you aggressively bend a string (on purpose) and the string stops in the bent position (or halfway between). The upper armature of my Elliott is my only capo which holds the strings in place so when I do aggressive bends, the string doesn't slide under the bumper.

Capos are also the only way of moving chord voicings and keys around while maintaining the open strings and feel of specific keys. If a song is in E, but I want the chord voicings of Dropped D, or even key of C, the only quick way to achieve it is with a capo.

And cut capos open up worlds that a pencil/rubberband or the Kyser cannot solve (even Kyser's cut capo exerts a strangle hold grip on the strings).

The good news is your Kyser makes you happy, and my Elliot makes me happy.

So you obviously don't need to pursue a more customized answer to your needs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-21-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
I here ya!

BTW!

Stop - grin - and laugh!
wkwkwkwkwk.. )
Old 11-21-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi k…
I feel you are not looking for a real answer, but I'll share my thoughts anyway.

I certainly understand acquiring specific equipment which serves the function of different players. And not everybody needs the same things I need.

My main guitar has a wider fingerboard than my Shubb could handle, and Planet Waves NS hadn't been invented yet, and Kysers strangulated the intonation out of the strings…

When I sought information from Phil Elliott about the possibility of customizing a McKinney/Elliot for that guitar, he was willing to bend the yoke a bit wider to accommodate my extra fingerboard width.

He spent over 30 minutes on the phone as we took measurements and discussed the function and fit of it so it would not damage the edges of the fingerboard…and after more than a decade it's still the best capo I own (for the best guitar I own).

As a side-effect, it is most disconcerting when strings slide sidewise under a capo's top armature when you aggressively bend a string (on purpose) and the string stops in the bent position (or halfway between). The upper armature of my Elliott is my only capo which holds the strings in place so when I do aggressive bends, the string doesn't slide under the bumper.

Capos are also the only way of moving chord voicings and keys around while maintaining the open strings and feel of specific keys. If a song is in E, but I want the chord voicings of Dropped D, or even key of C, the only quick way to achieve it is with a capo.

And cut capos open up worlds that a pencil/rubberband or the Kyser cannot solve (even Kyser's cut capo exerts a strangle hold grip on the strings).

The good news is your Kyser makes you happy, and my Elliot makes me happy.

So you obviously don't need to pursue a more customized answer to your needs.

fair enough. You have a specific need, got custom work, and are a much more advanced player than me. I actually rarely use a capo, and can't remember ever doing a string bend while capoed. Thanks for informing me better.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
I here ya!

BTW!

Stop - grin - and laugh!

Hmmm, maybe a ratchet strap. Or I could modify a c clamp, which is honestly what the Elliott's remind me of.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Hmmm, maybe a ratchet strap. Or I could modify a c clamp, which is honestly what the Elliott's remind me of.

Speaking of C clamps, Dave Ray of the Koerner, Ray & Glover blues band fashioned his capo with something just like that:

Not to be outdone in the junk-yard modification department, mate Koerner added a steel nut to his old Epi 12:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
capo