The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 AM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state
Default Bridge pin Q.

Why would I keep the pins in the same position each string change?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:11 AM

Do you mean slots facing forward, or each pin in the same hole it came out of?
Old 11-18-2015, 10:45 AM

No it is not necessary to return each pin to its same bridge hole. However some people do if the pins have abalone dots on them because they like the pins abalone patterns to balance out evenly for looks. But if your pins all fit without being too loose or too tight, it don't matter....if however you find one or two of the pins fit better in one hole verses the other, then by all means return those particular pins to the bridge hole that best fits it.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:49 PM

Are you crazy ?!!
It is essential to rotate the pins, lowest to highest, then shuffle each one down one place, on EVERY string change.

Guitar maintenance 101.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:54 PM

On a couple of my pins I widen the slot ever so slightly. This allows the Low E and A string's pins to sit level with the others. The other four I don't pay any attention to.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:57 PM

I always thought the pins have different slot widths that fit the string?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I don't know why, but I have always (read: the past 50 years) made it a point to put the same pins in the same hole in the bridge... and I certainly put the slot in front, so I can get the ball-end of the string seated snugly...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-18-2015, 08:33 PM

I've done it both ways: returned each pin to the same pinhole every time, and point them back into their pinholes in no particular order.

Unless the pins themselves have become so distorted with wear that they'll only fit with the same string gauge each time, it doesn't matter how you do it.

whm
Old 11-20-2015, 08:04 AM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

My pins are bone with abalone dots. My D35 has the original plastic and they're quite distorted. Just wanted to know if rotating was necessary. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:55 AM

Default Bridge pin Q.

I've never worried about it, just as long as they all fit snug and the ball is as tight as possible to the soundboard. I'm curious to try some different materials although I'm a little sceptical about whether it would make much real audible difference. Might be a good time to order some new ones if your seeing wear though ?
Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
My pins are bone with abalone dots. My D35 has the original plastic and they're quite distorted. Just wanted to know if rotating was necessary. Thanks.
The plastic pins on the D-35 are probably the cheap soft thermoplastic pins from the factory that have been distorted by the string balls under tension working their way up the pin slots. They might be chewing up the plate in the process.

Three solutions: 1. toss the cheap soft plastic pins and replace as needed with another set of cheap soft plastic pins; 2. replace with a hard plastic pin or bone; 3. slot and ream the bridge pin holes and invest in a set of unslotted pins.

"Rotating" (switching pins and holes) wouldn't help prevent soft plastic distortion in unslotted bridges; and of course slotted pins can't be rotated in unslotted bridges, only slotted ones.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:19 PM

I had my bridge slotted and got some non-slotted pins for it at the same time. My tech told me to return the pins to their place when changing strings, but I forgot to ask why. I supposed he may have done some fitting, but I don't know. I'll have to ask him.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:07 AM

I can see the rationale for returning the pins to their respective holes if they are worn into those holes. But the holes being in good condition, and the pins being all the same I don't really see the need.

I have TUSQ pins in my Gibson's rosewood bridge, and the holes are in good shape. The pins aren't very worn, slots are all OK (TUSQ is soft enough to allow some give for the ball end).
Old 11-21-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty44 View Post
Three solutions: 1. toss the cheap soft plastic pins and replace as needed with another set of cheap soft plastic pins; 2. replace with a hard plastic pin or bone; 3. slot and ream the bridge pin holes and invest in a set of unslotted pins.
There's actually a fourth solution, and that is when there's been a bit of wear to the stock pins, to turn them around and place them with their unslotted sides against the strings. I've done that a number of times, and have yet to break one of those pins. They work just fine that way, and when you do that it isn't necessary to slot the bridge itself.

whm
Old 11-21-2015, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Are you crazy ?!!
It is essential to rotate the pins, lowest to highest, then shuffle each one down one place, on EVERY string change.

Guitar maintenance 101.

~
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Epiphone J-200-SCE
Gibson J-35
Taylor 416
Taylor 214ce
Ovation Balladeer

I cut my teeth on the bread of pure temptation.

I tried it all and I learned to fall Like I would

never hit the ground.

- Jeffrey Foucault

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion