The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-17-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Tone wise, the two will be very similar.

I usually prefer to buy new -- but between these two guitars the one at Northern is a better specimen IMHO. The MRW back and sides aren't too shabby -- and from the photos the top also looks nicer than the 00 at Acoustic Vibes.
+1....Dana always has great wood.....check with the store to see if this is a set of "premium" Adirondack, which it appears to be....they would not list this on the label, but on the build sheet which came with the guitar (my 00 signature has a set that's premium and that soundboard looks identical). I believe Dana's premium designation goes beyond visual qualities and may also speak to the best physical properties as well.
Let us know your choice! Good luck!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-17-2015, 04:48 PM

Wow. They are both beautiful guitars. I really like the looks of the Madagascar rosewood and the bearclaw/silking on the Adi top on the one from Northern Lights. On the other hand the torrefied top with the interlocking grain on the adi from Acoustic Vibes might make it an exceptionally resonant soundboard (according to the UMGF thread that westman linked) with a lot of sustain. The torrefaction process on that top would also add to its sustain.

I recently purchased a Bourgeois AT Mahogany D that has a torrefied top. I had a chance to compare it to several non-torrefied Bourgeois dreads and I much prefered the one I ended up purchasing to those. Not everyone would make the same decision though.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

And then for $2,850 there is this used on
http://www.lostboyguitars.com/#!bour...om-00-pao/czhc
Old 11-17-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westman View Post
yeah the adi on the adi/mad looks superb and I'd chose it.
The adi on the 'Aged Tone' seems to be displaying a bit whats described in this thread -
http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...n#.Vkub2Mqzl3k
I didn't realize there was a term for that -- thanks for the reference. Not my favourite look.

There are a lot of other fishes in the pond if you can't decide between these two. This is a lot of money so you better be 100% satisfied with your decision before pulling the trigger.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I didn't realize there was a term for that -- thanks for the reference. Not my favourite look.
This is a lot of money so you better be 100% satisfied with your decision before pulling the trigger.
yeah I've seen some of that 'effect' in cello tops.

Tom, what Joe says
Old 11-17-2015, 07:29 PM

Without playing them it's an absolute guess, that's the truth, and one player may still prefer A while another prefers B.

The specs alone do not guarantee a better guitar one way or the other. And, if the guitars differences are both perceived as pluses ("Aged Tone" over not, Madagascar over EIR) then seriously what you want is a guitar with both the Aged Tone process and Madagascar, if they both do contribute to a better guitar sound.

If you really want a "used" Bourgeois 00 anyway, and the above are important, then neither of these guitars has both "pluses"

Just for pricing perspective, you can get a guitar with Adirondack/Madagascar, torrification, and hot hide glue new in the low $5K range with the Martin OM-28Authenic. I know not what you want but the point is at that price you can get all the features you want, not just some.

At $5K you don't settle, and I do think (from ownership and daily playing) that Torrification (or Dana's version), hot hide glue and Madagascar ARE all pluses on an acoustic guitar, so that's what I would want, a guitar with the complete package.

Again, at $5K you don't omit any feature you really want. Best of Luck

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:12 PM

I would move on. I like his guitars but....

MRW is a blood diamond. - Never again.

Torrified tops.... Marketing hype.

So are you a fool or a sadist?

He makes other guitars that are great.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post

Chris
Really????

A fool or sadist? Seriously?
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-17-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post

Chris
Fool or sadist?

Beyond wrong !!!!!!!!!!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-17-2015, 09:40 PM
G625 mistral-k

If you could play both side by side, they both would sound excellent, yet different to your ears. At that point, it would be a toss-up, so you win either way. Not knowing your situation, I might evaluate the choices based on what you already own. Personally, without the ability to play, I would go for the Madi/adi and should the guitar be a keeper, I would be able to experience the incredible sonic journey of the guitar opening up. Best of luck in what ever you decide and remember to post pics..
Old 11-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

I've played a couple of aged tone guitars and both were oustanding. However, both shops have a return policy. I would buy both and try them then return the one that doesn't make to grade. Better to be certain for this much money.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:03 AM

These dealers don't offer a 72 hour return? I would think they would...

If they will let you return it if you aren't satisfied with the sound (I assume that you would pay return shipping if they do offer a return), just pick the one that you are most curious about and have it sent. If you like it, keep it. If not, send it back and have the other sent to you for a try.

I have heard great things about the torrified tops and I haven't played guitar that has one..so I'd start there.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I can see why you would ask this on a forum because it's a hard decision--especially where $5K is involved. You'll sort through the feedback and use it to help with your decision.

But I suspect you know that you could play 3 examples of either of these and they could range from the best to the worst you ever perceived, regardless of the stated specs. And you haven't even mentioned playability, which affects the way you interact with the guitar, which ultimately determines how it sounds when you play it.

Face it: without an actual tryout (or several) it's a crapshoot and in 3 months you'll be writing a classified ad telling us how it's the best guitar you ever had but you just couldn't bond with it and you're selling for $4k + PP and shipping.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:53 AM

I have a Bourgeois Pao/Sitka 00 made with with hide glue. I'd go with the Madagascar. It's more pretty and will sound just fine. As it ages it will start to sound more like his aged top and then you'll have the best of either.

FYI, 00 is my favorite size acoustic.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:06 AM

To me, you should just pick the one that looks best to you. Both guitars will sound excellent and without actually playing them, you really have no other choice to make that's valid since your eyes are the only thing that can interact with the guitars before purchase.

Everyone hears differently so what sounds good to me, what features create the sound I like, may have absolutely nothing to do with what sounds good to you.

It's probably worth a couple of plane tickets to go play them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion