The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 03:59 PM

Willie- I'm also 55 and am having a similar problem that just started this year. But it's in the other knuckle on the index finger. Fortunately, it seems to go away after I've played a little bit.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Your symptoms could arise from a variety of underlying problems and what works for one may exacerbate another. Most (not all) of the suggestions that have been offered fall into the category of unproven remedies. They're not "unproven" for a lack of trying. There have been many, many tests to assess some of these remedies and the evidence remains inconclusive for most of them. Nonetheless, many people seem more persuaded by anecdotal evidence than by scientific findings. And let's face it, some of these remedies do work for some people without working consistently enough to qualify as "proven," so some of the anecdotes are accurate. But the successes are relatively rare.

The most likely source of your problem in a purely statistical sense, is osteoarthritis. That doesn't mean you have osteoarthritis (OA), but only that's a best guess without further evidence. If you've ever popped a chicken leg in half at the joint, you may have noticed how smooth the end of the bone is - almost like Teflon. That's cartilage. When the cartilage wears, the bone surfaces contacting each other are not nearly as smooth and what used to be a glide becomes a grind. This can cause secondary inflammation. It all adds up to discomfort. Many people who have OA do get relief from NSAIDs. But Your gut can take a hit if you take too much or take the medicine for too long. There are other potential side effects but gut issues are common. In essence, an NSAID blocks prostaglandins, which are involved in inflammation. But those prostaglandins also have a protective effect on your stomach lining. So, you gain one thing and lose another. Some prescription NSAIDs (COX-2 inhibitors) were more specific (blocked the "bad" but not the "good" prostaglandins) but increased the risk of hear disease significantly. Drug companies have argued that all NSAID's carry some risk of hear problems (which the evidence supports) but the drugs that have left the market posed a significantly greater risk in the judgment of the FDA.

There are also a bunch of soft tissue problems (and other stuff) that differ from OA but may present with similar symptoms but require different remedies. And therein lies the problem. Without having a pretty good idea of what the cause f the problem is, it can be tricky to choose the correct remedy. Truth be told, even rheumatologists are "playing the odds" in many instances because the underlying causes aren't obvious or easily determined. But their training and experience will up their batting average considerably beyond that of the typical AGF member.

So, the more information you can get about your specific problem, the better off you'll be. If you have a primary care provider, that's probably a good place to start. A trusted pharmacist can also provide useful guidance regarding potential over-the-counter remedies, including what things to watch out for.

So, use common sense and don't be too quick to accept well-intentioned suggestions (including mine) as necessarily having relevance to the problem you're facing. The advice may be spot-on. Or, it may actually make matters worse. Proceed with as much information as possible rather than jumping to solutions that sound attractive but may not work.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:48 PM

You're in Austin, I'm always looking for a good reason to visit Austin, but I"m not a traveling dr. anymore.
If your problem arose without trauma, you need an effective detox. The American food supply, air, water, and emotional state makes every American sick. Just a matter of time until it becomes disabling, and gets all of our attention.
The proper organ detox will return your overall symptomatology back about 25 years. You won't find the answers from Dr. Google either. Maybe it will improve your hearing so you can enjoy music more.
If you're going to visit the Calif. Central Coast, look me up. I practice in Nipomo. Best of luck to you Willie.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:59 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
If your problem arose without trauma, you need an effective detox.
The proper organ detox will return your overall symptomatology back about 25 years.
What organ? Are you a Naturopathic? Interesting response to Willies digit.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:11 PM
Guest 728

Again, thank you all for responding. I think I'll have my doc take a look and see what's up. It's weird, because today I feel absolutely zero discomfort in that finger, no matter how I try. Yet yesterday it was tender to the touch.

My wife jokes that I'm a "self-healing man," because I seem to recover from illness and injury very quickly. I suspect that this is arthritis rearing its head, but I'm encouraged that pain has taken a break for at least day!

You all have been very generous with your time, and I appreciate it.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:45 PM

Same here, fingerpain while playing my Furch soft V neck, 11/16 nut width, though the action is very low and string gauge 11/52. It went away when I only played nylon during 3 months, but came back after 3 days playing my Furch again. But in my case it's mainly the second fingerjoint after the nail, on the annular and sometimes middle finger or index. The doctors said there was no arthritis. I really wonder if it's the V kind of chunky neck shape or the nut width (I have very thin fingers).
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 11-20-2015, 05:22 AM

Default popping

Farsi wrote: (My finger feels almost "stiff" in a semi-bent shape when I wake up. ) That is the case with my left thumb. The joint actually seems to pop, back and forth. As the morning goes on it loosens up. I've been playing more than I ever have in my life (I'm 56 now). Anyone else with the popping thumb joint? I tried massage, that helped to a good degree, but it keeps coming back. I'll keep up with the massage. it is not the pain, as much as the worry it might incapacitate my playing.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:19 AM

I started having hand/finger pain about 10 years ago and a friend who is a supplement freak had me try some supplements. I did so - skeptically. But after taking the supplements 4 - 6 weeks the hand/finger pain was gone. I'm still taking them faithfully to this day.

Garlic (1000mg/day)
Flax Seed Oil and Apple Cider Vinegar (1 table spoon of each - morning & night) - tastes HORRIBLE
Zyflamend
Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM

Buying them on line is MUCH cheaper than at a store.

BTW, these (along with CoQ10) have really helped lower by cholesterol and triglycerides. Their not bad for your aging prostrate either.

Sincerely, a former supplement skeptic.

Last edited by 815C; 11-20-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Your symptoms could arise from a variety of underlying problems and what works for one may exacerbate another...
I enjoyed reading this very informative reply; if you don't mind answering few quick questions about OA - it looks all current available treatments focus on dealing with the symptoms (pain/swelling/inflamation). Is there anything that actually reverses/repairs the joint damage? Also, I was curious how joint-replacement works for finger joints?

Thanks
Old 11-20-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Farsi wrote: (My finger feels almost "stiff" in a semi-bent shape when I wake up. ) That is the case with my left thumb. The joint actually seems to pop, back and forth. As the morning goes on it loosens up. I've been playing more than I ever have in my life (I'm 56 now). Anyone else with the popping thumb joint? I tried massage, that helped to a good degree, but it keeps coming back. I'll keep up with the massage. it is not the pain, as much as the worry it might incapacitate my playing.
Sounds like trigger thumb. If there was no hx. of trauma, use Evening Primrose Oil, 6-9 per day. The more you use, the quicker your symptoms may resolve. This has been a real silver bullet in my office for more than 31 years. and has helped a couple of hundred guitarist who I've treated. Good luck.
If you perform a capable/professional liver detox and support your adrenals, major amounts of stiffness and achyness may disappear too.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Again, thank you all for responding. I think I'll have my doc take a look and see what's up. It's weird, because today I feel absolutely zero discomfort in that finger, no matter how I try. Yet yesterday it was tender to the touch.

My wife jokes that I'm a "self-healing man," because I seem to recover from illness and injury very quickly. I suspect that this is arthritis rearing its head, but I'm encouraged that pain has taken a break for at least day!

You all have been very generous with your time, and I appreciate it.
If you take the time to keep a diet diary with a symptom journal, you might be able to understand not only the power of foods, but you might be able to figure out what your problem is, because of the foods that may exacerbate it.
For example, if you're at a poker game, smoke and breathe lots of tobacco smoke, then have a meal with paprika, and you cant bend your finger the next morning, you know you have an issue with nightshade family foods.
Often you can figure out an organic problem by going through the back door, when symptoms arise, re-tracing your steps. This is often superior to lab tests.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
Many swear by cod liver oil and glucostamine so I'll probably try that.

I hear good things about cod liver oil,
I have had to use Ibuprofen this year for a bothersome joint on my fretting hand,
takes care of the issue-for now
sunaj
Old 11-21-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Sounds like trigger thumb. If there was no hx. of trauma, use Evening Primrose Oil, 6-9 per day. The more you use, the quicker your symptoms may resolve. This has been a real silver bullet in my office for more than 31 years. and has helped a couple of hundred guitarist who I've treated. Good luck.
If you perform a capable/professional liver detox and support your adrenals, major amounts of stiffness and achyness may disappear too.
Thank you! Is there a brand/dosage you recommend? I appreciate it.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:29 PM

Thank you all for the ideas, I have been following the thread and will try some of the ideas.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:20 PM

Sadly, Vicodin washed down with Beer solves my pain pretty much immediately.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion