The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2015, 06:30 AM

My Alvarez DY61 is the one I'm least likely to part with. Of the guitars I own that are harder to replace, have sentimental value, and sound great this is the one that is least likely to attract an offer I can't refuse. It probably means more to me than it ever could anyone else, so it wouldn't make sense to sell it.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-16-2015, 06:52 AM

Never part with . . . while still standing? Or playing?

I don't part with guitars all that often in any case, so it's possible that the three steel sting guitars and one classical will still be here when I'm gone. All different, all good.

But the best candidate for keeping no matter what is the Santa Cruz OM -- I've had it about 20 years now and it's hard to imagine the circumstances under which I'd let it go.

Thank you Mr. Hoover.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:02 AM

It's not my intention to part with the Larrivee, but who knows what circumstances might come along to make me reconsider.

I will not, however, get rid of the M-38 until I'm dead, when it will pass to one of my two nephews. The other one will get the Stelling, and if he doesn't care for banjos, he'll have to content himself with the knowledge that it's worth about twice what the Martin is.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 11-16-2015, 07:09 AM

I own the best guitars for me that I have ever owned, including my 1930 Martin 0-21. It represents the best playing, sounding and looking guitar, to me, I have ever come across.

I don't see myself ever finding a better guitar for me, but I never say never.

And my son loves my old Gibson J-45, so I suspect it isn't going anywhere, either
Old 11-16-2015, 07:13 AM

My 1969 Gibson Hummingbird. My wife won't let me part with it for sentimental reasons, although since it is structurally compromised no one else would want it anyway.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-16-2015, 07:34 AM

I've got four that I cannot part with. The first two stay out of sentimental value. My first guitar, a Framus, that my parents bought me in 1966, and my high school graduation present, a Decca 12 string, in 1972.

I purchased a Lowden F35 8 years ago that is an amazing guitar. It still brings surprises that keep me mesmerized. It's just too good to let go.

The last of the four keepers is a new, 1 month old, Mcilroy A25c. I can already tell this is a keeper for it's beauty and tone. What a voice! But this guitar has a very special meaning to me.

I've spent the last 4 1/2 months down in Texas taking care of my mother as she past away from cancer. This was her parting gift to me that I will always cherish. Never named a guitar before but this one is named Betty.

Heading back home to the rockie mountains and snow tomorrow and I feel like I'm taking a part of her with me.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:36 AM

I purchased a Martin D-18 in 1968. It was my only guitar up to 2013. It has no cracks, no need for a neck reset and the tone only got better with age. I would never think of parting with it.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseAdi View Post

Snip...

But this guitar has a very special meaning to me.

I've spent the last 4 1/2 months down in Texas taking care of my mother as she past away from cancer. This was her parting gift to me that I will always cherish. Never named a guitar before but this one is named Betty.

Heading back home to the rockie mountains and snow tomorrow and I feel like I'm taking a part of her with me.
Nice story. Best of luck.

Paul
Old 11-16-2015, 07:50 AM

These each made my keeper list from the day I got them, many other Martins have come and gone.....they aren't going anywhere

OM-18 Authentic 1933, 2005 OM-45 Tasmanian Blackwood, custom shop OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-16-2015, 07:52 AM

do you own a guitar you will never part with?

not anymore, but i've owned quite a few in the past.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

My Yamaha-I have had it for 25 years. If I lost everything I would still keep that guitar.

I'm thinking my HD28 I just got will also be a keeper for life. And while I would like to keep my current lineup if I had to make a decision on which ones to keep, those would be my first two. My Guild would be the 3rd.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:16 AM

I have the same model, as presented in this video The recording does a decent representation of the tone. She is just marvelous instrument.

Also: it is a gift from my wife for our tenth anniversary. So she's going nowhere, unless... my wife needs some cash to buy me a more expensive instrument for our 15th anniversary;-))

Last edited by Guest316; 11-16-2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Repaired YouTube tags
Old 11-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Assuming no dire circumstances would ever necessitate it, I'd never part with my Martin 000-28EC or CEO-7.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 11-20-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

My wife will have to dispose of my Goodall Classical. It is and remains the best guitar I've ever held and played. (smile)

Dave
Old 11-16-2015, 09:34 AM

Unless something unexpected happens, I will depart before my Martin 000-28 (Standard Series) does.

It is everything I desire in a guitar and has never disappointed me. It's also the last thing I see before I close my eyes and the first thing I see in the morning. Other than my very tolerant wife of course . . .

I have others but this would be the last to go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor