The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-15-2015, 09:08 PM

My Collings CJ. Been my only 6 string acoustic for several years now. Pretty much cured me of GAS.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

I have two. 1.) my '59 J-45 that my dad got for Christmas his senior year of high school. He passed in '79 and it holds my clearest memories of him. I can't describe my relationship with this guitar between him and all the songs I've played and written on this guitar. & 2.) my '94 Taylor 710 that my wife bought me when she was pregnant with our daughter Taylor. We decided we were going to find me a premium acoustic to take some of the work away from the J-45. I played probably 15 guitars that day and without noticing it I was noodling the first song I dedicated to her when she came to my show a few days after we met. Brown Eyed Girl. I must have played it on every guitar I tried without even thinking, but when I played it on that guitar she came to me with tears in her eyes and said "that's the one, get it". We were dead broke back then and not even making ends meet, but I traded almost everything I had and she made payments on it for almost two years until it was paid off. It'll never be for sale either.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-15-2015, 09:17 PM

As I got older I lost the urge to buy and then sell when I saw something new I must have. I foolishly sold some great acoustics I now wish I had. Most notably 1 Gibson and 2'Martins. I have a Martin D18 that I won't sell it fits me I like the neck the nut width the sound it's a 2012 model . At 60 plus years old I can now look at other acoustics and just walk away still happy with my D18.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

My 1979 Takamine F363. Not worth the money to sell,and the memories we share are priceless!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-15-2015, 09:23 PM
Guest316

I'll keep two forever. The Epi, because of this picture of me playing (with) it with my grandson:

And the Gibson because it is tooooooooooooooooooo good.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:24 PM

Big, red, heavy Guild F-412.
I'd been searching for a particular, more balanced 12-string sound and after owning 4 other guitars this had it in bucket loads.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-15-2015, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I do have one guitar that I have owned for 49 years... I don't play it much these days, but it is part of the family.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:27 PM

For me it is my Martin MMV.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:36 PM

Default never sell?

I don't anticipate ever selling any of my guitars, but not liking to eat words, I will stop short of using the word "never". At some point in my life I am not going to be able to play any longer and will want my family to get their worth and let someone, younger than I am, continue to find joy in them.

And maybe someday I will find something that excites me more than one I have to the point of replacing it. It will not because of changing tastes however. Those haven't changed in 50 years; they just continue to get refined.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:37 PM

A lot of these stories are very touching. Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately I don't have any guitars that were gifted to me by friends or relatives. Everything I own I got myself by doing a lot of research. I find myself in a strange place because acoustically the guitar that sounds the best to my ears is my Bedell TB 18G, which I got for 350 bucks. My much more expensive Taylors sound good, but not miles above it. I would be absolutely fine if I just stuck with that one Bedell. So I'm actually thinking of selling my fleet not because I need the money, but because my high end guitars don't really impress me anymore.
Bedell TB 18G
Bedell TB 28 G 12 string
Bedell Performance Plus JB-52-12-G
Eastman AC 420
Old 11-15-2015, 09:37 PM

I'll likely keep my Gibson Hummingbird. It truly fits me perfectly. I've sold/traded lots of sweet guitars that I thought I'd keep, but then I see another guitar that intrigues me. Yeah, "the bird" is a keeper, but there's no "holy grail," etc. ......My Dove is likely a keeper also. All the others? I love them too, but who knows?

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:44 PM

Well, they say you can't take it with you. I plan to part with everything I own one of these days. In the meantime, I love my dread but there may come a time when I can't enjoy playing it comfortably, so it will go to someone who can. I can't see keeping it for sentimental reasons. When I can no longer play my Rainsong Shorty - same thing. I'm hoping that never happens though. I think I'd rather get run over by a bus than not be able to play guitar at all.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:54 PM

Like others have said forever is a long time but if I can help it I won't sell any. I have two a this time. I have one my wife bought me off the internet when I retired. I always said I'd like to learn to play but earning a living got in the way. When I retired she bought it out of the kindness of her heart. There is no name anyplace on it. It's cheap and plays like crap but it has the sentimental factor going for it. I bought a Martin DRS about six months ago and currently am having a guitar built. I think the guitars will be like my firearms, I'm just not interested in letting any of them go.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

I've been surveying my collection to find one or two to sell and finance the next acquisition. In that process, I realize I really like all of them and so the next one will have to wait
Old 11-15-2015, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Do you own a guitar you will NEVER part with?

Nope. Though I really really like what I have, for the right price, I would sell them all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
taylor